Really want to try again

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Really want to try again

Postby Hayden&Zoe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 pm

My little girl is 6 weeks old on Monday. She is my second child and was born via elective c section. My little boy is 19 months old and I breastfed him until he was 4 months old and then stopped as I was returning to work full time when he was 6 months old and wanted him used to the bottle before I returned. As soon as stopped feeding him I regreted it but knew I had to do it. I am having a whole year off this time and one thing I was really looking forward to was breastfeeding my little girl for a whole year.

On the day of her birth I requested having her in recovery. When I had my little boy via emergency c section I did not have him in recovery so did not feed him straight away. When I did feed him he had initial difficulties and continued to do so until we left hospital. I told the hospital I felt strongly about immediate skin to skin contact and feeding my girl immediately as I thought not being able to do this first time had affected our initial breastfeeding relationship. The hospital were short staffed so it didnt happen.

After her birth she was very very sleepy. She would not wake for feeds and when I woke her she would constantly fall asleep at the breast. I would spend an hour waking her feeding her waking her feeding her and so on and was never confident she had a good feed. She was not regaining birthweight well and we went back and forth to lactation clinics etc. I rushed her back to hospital at about 10 days old as she had not woken after 5 hours and was very hard to rouse, would not wake no matter what we tried. They said she had a bad temper and would eat when ready. I was unsatisfied with this so I resorted to formula. I could not have her not gaining weight and sleeping through feeds. We also that morning had an incident where she screamed as soon as I put her to the breast and would not attach at all. I had to rush and express at 4 in the morning just to get her to feed. She was also beginning to pull off screaming during feeds. I began initally by giving formula some feeds but offering breast first if she took breast great if not formula. We got ourselves into a cycle in the end where she would only take formula. Once on the formula for a week her weight shot up and she started waking herself for feeds. I went to my GP who diagnsed reflux and I am wondering if this is where the breast refusal began?
She is doing so well and is now fully formula fed but I am a mess. I tried medication but wasnt expressing huge amounts some feeds could get heaps but the next not a lot at all so I even stopped that. I am not confident putting her back n the breast without knowing I have enough milk yet I am a depressed mess not breastfeeding as it is all I want for her. I feel she will not bond with me as well on the bottle. Is it possible to relactate and how. I want to start taking the med again but will this help. Would love to hear success stories. How can I put her back on the breast but not have her weight and well being take a dwnhill turn. TIA.
Hayden&Zoe

Postby Esther » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Hello Hayden&Zoe,

Welcome to the forum :smt006 . It sounds like you have been through some very tough times with your DD, and it's great that you'd like to try breastfeeding again.

There is a fabulous book out there called "Making More Milk". There's a website with it too www.lowmilksupply.org Either of those places is a really good start. It's got some great rules about breastfeeding, and the first one is "Feed the Baby" which is exactly what you did :D . Now it sounds like you might like to look at ways of feeding your daughter while supporting and encouraging your milk supply, and the book and website are great places to get info.

Have you seen an LC in private practice? They can offer ongoing support to you. We only recommend LCs who have IBCLC after their name, an internationally recognised qualification. You can search for an LC in your area here

http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337

You could also copy your post into an email for an ABA counsellor, who may be able to come up with further suggestions. There's a link to the email counselling if you click in the top right-hand corner of any of the ABA website pages.

Also, please feel welcome to stick around here. We make a great cheer squad :smt026 and would love to hear how you're going.

Good luck

Esther
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby 3 Little Woody's » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:19 pm

No advice, but wishing you lots of good luck and a bountiful milk supply.
3 Little Woody's

Postby veganmummy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Woody's Mum wrote:No advice, but wishing you lots of good luck and a bountiful milk supply.

yep, same from me. And hugs too. Thinking of you and really hoping this works out exactly as you want.
Vee storked ME! Babygirl Magoo is HERE!
veganmummy

Postby Feather » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:06 pm

Esther said it all :D

Stick around the forum, we'd love to hear how you're going and support you through it.
Breastfeeding with IGT, that's me!
DD1 - Nov08
DD2 - Oct10
DS - Oct13
Feather

Postby foggylog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 pm

HUGS and welcome

I have no experience in this area, but i am fairly certain with the meds you need to feed/express at least 8 preferably closer to 12 times a day. you won't express the same amt each time as over the day bubs will need different amts at each feed. it can also take a few weeks for the meds to give you the results in increasing supply.

a LC seems like a good place to start, as they can not only help you come up with a plan, they can give you support and encouragement along the way.

your local CHN may have a LC or there is the link esther supplied :)

congratulations on your baby, and i hope you can get the help and suport you need to start BFing your baby again :)
I was storked by the lovely ESTHER :)
E = DD may 09 BF til 15.5mths
O = DS Dec 10, BFing
foggylog

Postby animaldoc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi There

Just wanted to add some encouragement for your about bottle feeding and then going on to breastfeed.

While I did not have to relactate, i did express and feed exclusively EBM for 12 weeks with DS1 before I managed to get him to breastfeed at all. I used a special teat that helps to mimic the deep sucking action and has a valve in it that slows down the flow of milk and makes it harder for bubs to get the milk out of the bottle. It is available via mothers direct, so I think I can post a link here
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalogue/id/640/cid/461/parent/0/t/catalogue

I went on to feed DS1 for 16 months.

I know that some people use supply lines as well to help increase their milk while ensuring that bubs gets enough nutrition if their supply is low. Again a good LC should be able to advise you if this is the right solution for you.

It was not easy (I was expressing every 2 hours round the clock in the early days), but if you are determined to relactate, it is possible and I hope you can find a good IBCLC to help you in your journey.

Good luck XXX
Mum to DS1 3/1/06 and DS2 born 17/7/08
DS1 BF 16 months, DS2 BF 22 months.
Care bear stares and candles for all who need them
animaldoc

Re: Really want to try again

Postby mummysairsair » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:24 am

Hi honey, it sounds like you have had quite a challenging start with your DD. So glad you have come to share your journey with us !@!@

Hayden&Zoe wrote: I feel she will not bond with me as well on the bottle.

Firstly, please remember that while there are certainly tonnes of benefits to BF, there is absolutely no reason why you or your DD can't or wont bond in your own special way regardless of how you feed her. There are millions of mums who bottle feed or mixed feed either by choice or necessity who are beautifully bonded to their babies, and regardless of whatever you end up deciding to do, not BF does not = not bonding ok? :)

Now.. it's really late so will have to keep this brief. I formula fed my DD, then exclusively expressed, then eventually got her onto the breast and continued to mixed feed (BF/EBM/Formula) until she was almost 10mths old. There are heaps of different options out there to either help you try to completely relactate, or find a way to combine breast and bottle or whatever works best for you and your family. An ABA counsellor would be able to give you some ideas of where to start and help you set some goals to work towards.

I found this website invaluable: http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/default.aspx in helping me increase supply and find my own unique BF relationship. Hopefully you may find it helpful too.

One of our forum girls who relactated has recently weaned.. I can't remember off the top of my head what her username was, but will try to get back to you with her story tomorrow. As I recall, she shared her story day by day of increasing supply, coping with breast refusal etc.

It sounds like BF is very important to you and we would love to support you in your journey no matter what you decide to do. What are your partner's thoughts on changing the way you feed your DD? Do you have other support around you?
Patience.. It's what parents have when there are witnesses ;)
mummysairsair

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding