My friend is adopting a baby and she wants to breastfeed him

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

My friend is adopting a baby and she wants to breastfeed him

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:16 pm

Hi everyone,

My friend just found out yesterday that their adoption process is complete, and her son is in Ethiopia and they can go and meet him in about 1 month's time...

She has successfully breastfed three older children, including one who has low tone and a lot of other problems caused by a genetic disorder.

We talked about breastfeeding her adopted child, a long time ago, and she is quite keen - especially since she was told yesterday that he may be aged between 4-6 months!

She is worried that if she starts initiating lactation now, she will have massive amounts of milk in two weeks' time...it isn't that long since she stopped breastfeeding her last child...

Thanks to anyone who can make suggestions about websites, information sheets, articles on the 'practical' side of things - how to start, when to start (I'm guessing ASAP)...

Thanks!
Nedsmum.
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi Nedsmum

There is an ABA booklet called 'Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding'. I can get a copy to you if you want. Does your friend speak/read English?

I was speaking to a mum on helpline a while back who had adopted a child a few years ago then had her own biological child. She called asking for advice about BF the newborn and mentioned in passing that she had spontaneously lactated when her adopted daughter was placed with her :shock: She had never been pregnant or breastfed and she just started feeling milk in her breasts so she put the baby to the breast and she nursed. Isn't that the loveliest, most amazing story?

How old is the child she is adopting? If the child is over one, she could just wait until she meets the child since he or she will be able to eat and drink family foods while she builds up a milk supply.

How exciting for your friend to welcome a new member of the family.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby breastfeedingisnormal » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:36 pm

The woman who wrote that booklet (and has breastfed her own adopted daughters) is on the forum. I am sure she'll be along shortly.
n
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13
breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Postby Nedsmum » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 am

Hi,

I just wanted to report back that I was able to pass on some really great info from the forum member Karleen, who has experience and expertise to offer...

I haven't heard yet what my friend decided to do - it's been Christmas season of course, and she will be due to fly to pick up her son from Ethiopia in about two week's time...They will be overseas for 20 days to complete the legal process, and in the meantime she will be trying to forge a beautiful bond with her new baby...

It's been a 2 year process, so you can imagine a lot of emotions to go through before coming home again...
Nedsmum

Postby Andypandy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:09 am

Good luck to your friend.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015
Andypandy

Postby mum2H&R » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:01 am

I watched a show where a lady wanted to breast feed her adopted daughter, the adoption process took alot longer than first anticipated. She was expressing for her (from memory the DD was about 18 months), she was drinking the EBM and still hoped to get her to the breast.

Best of luck for your friend
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.
mum2H&R

Postby Aleishasmum » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 am

Wow, how exciting for your friend. Best wishes for her with the adoption.
Image Image
Aleishasmum

Postby sueP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey what happened? Any updates?
BD'd 2 girls for 2 years each, no longer doing it, but still thinking about it, and active on our FB page as well as helping friends get in touch with the right people.
sueP

Postby Nedsmum » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Hey, the adoption went beautifully - he's absolutely gorgeous!

She decided not to try to relactate as he is her fourth child and she felt that the hours that it would take her away from her family were more important than whether he was breastfed. He's bottle-fed and growing beautifully, very friendly and already after just a few weeks recognises her special place in his world...

She found out that at the government orphanage he was only given milk on a very minimal schedule, and that he learnt to wait, awake, until the milk arrived, then fall asleep with the bottle... she has dropped that habit very quickly, and now he falls asleep in arms beautifully! In my mind, it's far better that he has a warm psychological attachment to a human being - and there's certainly plenty of helping hands...

His older siblings adore him!
Nedsmum

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Lovely update Nedsmum :-D
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding