Thinking about relactating

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
Aligater

Thinking about relactating

Post by Aligater » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:58 pm

I stopped BFing my daughter at 9months (complicated) she still has about 1 BF a week. When I go to the peads next week im thinking about asking about relactation and introducing more BF. I think im going to get more oposition from my DH and his family and probably some raised eyebrows from mine. how do I deal with that?

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:11 am

I think you're fighting an uphill battle if your DH isn't supportive, but my general advice for family/friends would be 'just don't tell them'...

seriously, it's not really any of their business....it's not as if you are doing anything harmful to your child...I fed mine past 2 and whilst I am happy to talk about it to people who are truly interested, anyone who starts to ask anything about it gets this comment "I love to talk about breastfeeding, if you are *truly* interested, but if you're just wanting to give me your opinion, I'm not."

:roll:

There's nothing to stop you offering the breast more often...several times a day, or just once a day...and see where it goes from there - you might find that you keep breastfeeding for a long time yet...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

PinkPower
Counsellor

Post by PinkPower » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:44 am

Unfortunately I agree with Nedsmum that not saying anything to the family might be the best way to go. I have found with many aspects of parenting that you can't please everyone so often it's easiest not to offer too much information about how you are doing things.

Your DH is a different story though. It might be an idea to discuss it with him before you talk to the paed. Relactation for you will involve offering the breast frequently and quite possibly expressing in between as well. This will be time consuming at first and your DH is sure to notice.

I do wish you all the very best. It sounds like you've had some difficult times and that this is very much something you want to do. It is certainly possible, and will be easier because you are still lactating.
The lone female amongst
DH (for more years than I'll admit)
DS 6
DS 4

Aligater

Post by Aligater » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Well it looks like its not going to be posible at all now as it looks like she has Celiac disease or lactose intolerance but if I feed her it makes her worse so most likely lactose intolerance

fiml

Post by fiml » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Nedmum and Pinkpowe, I don't understand why you wouldn't tell others if you are still breastfeeding or reintroducing breastfeeding if it was discontinued prematurely.

My DS is 3 and while I don't just sprout off about it for no reason (like I don't sprout off about any parenting things for no reason), if it comes up in conversation or he asks for milk, of course I am going to tell people. If it isn't brought into the normal conversations of people, how do we expect it to be considered a normal part of childhood/parenting - because it is normal you know...it's actually very normal to be feeding kids well into toddlerhood and beyond.