Relactating with use of the SNS

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
crystals83

Post by crystals83 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi. Sorry not sure if you misinterpreted my post but my supply is absalutely minimal. There has been little or no increase yet (despite the meds). Yep, i find if i express by hand i can get a few squirts-but it only ever adds up to about 3ml. I am not using the pump as get nothing more than a few drops from the left and nothing from the right.
I'm finding the supply line very difficult and finddly (hanging out for the proper one to get delivered) but used it today with 3 out of 4 feeds. She stayed on for roughly half her feeds, and finished her off with the bottle when she got frustrated. I'm currently placing all my focus on latching her onto the breast as know that is ultimately the best way for my supply to increase, so want to try and keep her on there for as long as possible. i figure supply will gradually increase and it also ensures that breasts are being 'expressed' at the same time each day as she feeds at roughly the same times.

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 am

three out of the four feeds using the supply line is fantastic. I am hoping on the weekend that this will be the case for me. Could I also ask what is the duration time between expresses for you. I am not expressing much at night and wonder how you are going with this.

Francesca

crystals83

Post by crystals83 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am

feeding with SNS is still erratic. We have good feeds and ones that dont go so well and end up in frustration. She's the kind of baby that goes from 0 to 100 in seconds and has to have her needs met NOW. So at the moment i feed her 60ml via bottle to take edge off her hunger then the remaining 120ml via SNS (swithching half way). i am still sussing things out, but i express with the pump from the side she is not feeding at, then switch the pump when she switched sides (this is ideal, and its doesnt always happen this way when she is in a fidgety mood). i do find that i get more success in a short time this way as my nipples are already stimulated and the milk is right there ready to come out. When she has finished feeding i put her near me and express the breast she was attatched to for a few minutes. I'm overjoyed when i see a few drops come from the pump as had previously only had luck expressing by hand. She feeds 4 hourly, so i also express when she has a sleep after her play (but not for too long). So i guess its about every 2 hours that i am doing some sort of expressing. It sounds more than it actually feels as when i express when she's aseep, i only do for for about 10 mins. She sleeps from 6:30pm-6:30am uninterrupted, so at the moment express just the once just before i go to bed.
Phew! Thats alot. Would love to hear how you are going and any tips that have worked. The hardest battle is still having her latch on without a fight, and having to squeeze milk into her mouth to get her to open up. I need 4 hands!

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Crystal,

I don't know if you realise it but you are doing a fantastic job. I have only had my SNS for a week now and Noah has only had one feed from it as it proved too stressful for him. I can't believe how you can juggle everything there is no way that I would be able to manage it. I was able to give Noah about half a ml today and was happy with that as that was what was expressed through machine. My husband and I are going to try to get Noah to use the SNS today but I am not sure how things are going to go.

My aim is to just get about 30 ml a day for him and then I would be happy but it looks like you are having more success than me.

I think it is probably a good idea to concentrate on achieve a goal and see how that goes. I am taking medication and on day 5, Fenugreek when I remember and Nursing tea when I remember. I am about to make milk cookies as have been told that they are great. I have been expressing about 5 times a day and try for once while Noah is sleeping during the night. The first feed this morning produced enough for him to have a ml. I am sure he will be mainly bottle fed but if I can contribute a 30 ml bottle a day of my milk then I have achieved my aim.

Good on you for what you have achieved so far.

Francesca :)

crystals83

Post by crystals83 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:46 am

Thankyou so much for the positive praise. Its nice to go through this with you and share the experience of it all. This forum has kind of become a place for me to off load, as trying to explain it all to family and friends-well, its hard to understand unless you're actually going through it.
Latching on is still a struggle with most feeds. I was taking it personally, but then put it into persepective and figure she sometimes even puts up a fight with her bottle when she is really hungry. Got 2 ml yesterday after an expression. I added it to her 60ml bottle, as she polishes that off. I am the same with the tea etc. And its all very expensive ($20 for 20 tea bags, and you're supposed to have 3 a day). I'm hoping that all these expenses pay off. I am the same as you in the way that my final goal is not necessary to exclusively breast feed, but to ensure that she is getting 'something' from me (and i guess my body will determine how much that is). I am trying hard as i dont want to regret it later. But i am not consumed by it by any means.
I hope you have had some more success this weekend and the supply is slowly building. Would love an update when you're not too busy.

x

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Crystal,

Unfortunately Noah's reflux has gotten bad so I am not trying to get him to breast feed at the moment. We will try with the SNS next week. I expressed a good amount this morning about 1 ml and gave this to him with the dropper. He seems to like the taste and smiles after he has been given it. This was after a 9 hour time frame between expressing. So I am happy to see an increase in expressed milk. It is hard work but I guess even if he is getting the smallest amount at least he is getting something. I am going to make milk cookies today which are supposed to help with supply. I will let you know how they go and pass on the recipe if you want it.

Take Care

Francesca

mum2ruby

Post by mum2ruby » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 am

Hi ladies, great to hear your all achieving some fantastic results on this journey were on! its been a very challenging week for us, although we've managed to have many triumphs also! I now feel very confident with the fiddily sns, bubs is taking to it quite well now, although only with the use of a nipple shield, she wont go to my bare breast, you would swear by her reaction to it that i was offering her poison, however she's feeding from me ( sns) and getting my supply up so im very happy about this and so thankful for the nipple shield! im pumping like a crazy woman to, not getting much yet tho, half to 1 oz if that per session, but my lactation consultant said not to take this as a clear indicator of my supply as when i hand express i get a lot more and i clearly dont let down efficiently when using a pump! im staying positive :D

iv been to the docs and im taking 2x 10mg 3 times per day medication to increase supply & 2x breast feeding support vitamin containing fenugreek and blessid thistle.
i wonder how long until i start seeing results?? and how long it will take till i can wean bubs off the sns, i think i will just watch how much she's leaving behind in the sns bottle as my indicator, is that what you ladies are doing?? its such a tricky thing as i cant see how much breast milk i have. my gorgeous girl is happy and content to im really happy with our work so far!

great to hear your stories, im taking lots of advice from them and am here to fully support you all 100%
WELL DONE TO YOU ALL!!!!!

thanks again and look forward to reading your progress, trials and errors and joyous moments!

krystal xox

crystals83

Post by crystals83 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi Krystal. things sound really positive on your end-which is good. I get the same reaction when trying to get her on the breast-she screams! On a side note-i have found using the 'football' hold works well, reduces fiddling and allows me to better get the breast into her mouth. She takes it more readily in this hold. I also only get 1 ml when using a pump, but am quite certain i have more than this as i can 'squirt' some out when using my hands, and shes beginning to leave 10-30 ml's every feed, when she is a baby who guzzles the lot and then some when she drinks from her bottle. And she must be satified as is still lasting her usual 3.5-4 hours.
Francesca-i'm sorry to hear about Noah's reflux. Damned reflux! We give her the losec every morning and also 60ml of reflux formula in the bottle as she is awful without them. Slowly using normal formula again though, as its the only sort that will fit through the tube x

DellaWellaWoman

Post by DellaWellaWoman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi ladies :)

It might be worth thinking of expressing using a pump more as breast stimulation than a milk-making exercise? Pumps are nowhere near as efficient as a baby at extracting milk, but they are good for breast stimulation - especially where you have a baby who doesn't always want to go to the breast and stay there :)

Getting a letdown when expressing is also almost a 'learned' thing - it's much harder to let down for a pump than a baby (they're nowhere near as cute, to start with).

You may have already seen them, but there are a few fact sheets on the main website that might help - http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/pumpsug.html and http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/express.html

Keep up the good work!!!
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Ladies,

Looks like you are doing very well and things are slowly working out for you. I am very happy with my expressing and since I made my house poet cookies it has increased to double. So now Noah is getting about 1 ml every two expresses. I am also hearing squirting action and think and hope it will only improve from here on. I have attached a website address for you with the recipe for the cookies and other things that may help.
http://forums.bellybelly.com.au/forums/ ... ction.html

All the best

Francesca

crystals83

Post by crystals83 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi. I made the cookies-thanks so much for the link.
Just checking in to see how things are going. We have been having trouble with the SNS. I can get her to latch on with a little fight, but when shes on she constantly pulls off and cries. I dont know if its because its not fast enough. i sqeeze the bottle and am using the cleartubing (thickest one). Regular formula is going through. We had a couple of really good sessions where she took most/all of it, but now after about 50ml i end up having to pour the formula into a bottle and feed it to her that way as shes beside herself. She wont take to the breast any other time, either. On the upside-made the cookies and i think between them, the tea and the meds, my supply continues to increase daily.

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi Crystal,

I am so glad that you found the recipe helpful and talk about yummy I am making my second batch on the weekend. I am giving Noah the little amounts of breast milk about 1/2 ml per day that I express and am finding that sometimes he will go for the boob but not latch on. I fully understand about the SNS I am going to try again on the weekend but we have had the same problems as you. I have chosen not to upset him any more and just try and see if he will go on without a fuss. I have allergies at the moment and constantly have a runny nose but will soldier on. I think I will have a bath with Noah tomorrow and see if he will use the SNS after that. I know he likes the taste of whatever I can give him because he has a smile after he has it. I am also glad to see your supply increasing.

Take Care

Francesca

mum2ruby

Post by mum2ruby » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi everyone, just wanted to check in and see how your all doing?? I hope over the past week you've had some success and some joyful breastfeeding moments! On tuesday the most amazing thing happened to me and my bub, we started the day at 6am with breast using the sns, we fed every 1.5 -2 hours and she was so happy and content throughout the day. at about 7pm i put her down for a sleep, she slept 2 hours so i was pottering around the house, cleaning and so forth, I thought id better wash out the Sns bottle and rinse the nipple shield. i grabbed the bottle and before emptying it i checked how much she'd taken, 30 mls, i thought hmm thats a good sign, then it dawned on me, I hadn't refilled the Sns since our 6am start that morning! I was so confused, in shock!!! could she really have only taken 30 mls all day? i was in a complete panic! i rang the aba to ask questions, why wasn't she feeding?? the councilor was so happy and enthusiastic, she told me id done it! you have relactated for your baby girl! i was still in complete confusion, all the stories id heard made me sure it wasn't going to be that easy, and how it could take months to re establish a full supply! i kept saying to the councilor is it possible, its only been a few weeks???

she reassured me that with ruby having 6 wet nappies and 2 loose bowel movements that day, plus that she was very content that she'd definatly recieved milk though out the day! i couldn't believe it! i got off the phone, and feed her & congratulated her for her efforts! i was so proud of the both of us! today was the most special day!!!

the next day we woke and feed perfectly again, she took 20 mls from the sns and things were looking even more positive! yay i was thinking and beaming with happiness! the following day ruby woke with a cold and was completely off food altogether, she wasn't having a bar of it nomatter how it came! I cried as the timing for her to be off food couldn't have come at any worse of a time, i spent the day pumping. she's still recovering from her cold but back on the boob again. she's taking about 45-50 ml over 2 feeds from the sns but its still looking positive.
she refuses direct contact with the breast unless shes in the shower with me... i have no idea why only in the shower... so were still using the nipple shield! were in no way back on the bf track completely but its so nice to know were making progress!

I hope that our success of this week helps you all to feel positive and reassured at all the hard work your doing for your precious bundles!!!

keep it up ladies and be proud of your achievements nomatter the size!!!!!!
take care
lots of love krystal

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:59 pm

Yay krystal! Great work both of you!

Esther
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:40 pm

Krystal that is fantastic I knew you could do it. I am very pleased for you and I have to say that I would hope it would happen for me but I am not to sure. My expressing has become more so he is getting a little each day. Can I ask how many days and feeds did it take for the SNS to get you to where you are now. Did little Ruby feed every feed with the SNS or only some.

You should feel very proud of yourself you have achieved a wonderful thing.

Well Done

Francesca