relacting at 6mths

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

relacting at 6mths

Postby mummatojes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi there,
We are very new at this but ill give you abit of background.
Jes is now 6 months old and has never been breastfed, she was induced after IURG and no growth or development since 32 weeks, so as a result she has alot of tummy problems.
I was advised to not BF and she was put straight on formula from birth, i didnt get skin to skin contact with her at birth because i hemorrhaged and she was at least an hour old before i even held her.
She has been diganosed as lactose intollerant, has IBS, Reflux, and had pyloric Stenosis.
We have decided to try and relactate and hopefully be able to give her at least some BM even if i am unable to get a full supply.
We have only been at this about a week but im comitted to it I know its a very long road we are going down but one i believe is well worth while.
So far we have been to the dr who almost fell off her chair when i said i wanted to relactate :shock: and we now have some meds to help prolactin levels increase.
We have a pump but have an ABA meeting on Wednesday and im hoping to hire a hospital grade one.
We co-sleep so have lots of skin to skin contact at night and ive made a special effort to be topless when i sling bub.
Jes completelly refuses my breast at this point she crys and pushes away if i even attempt to offer it to her which im not suprised about because shes never been on.
I can hand express about half a teaspoon of colostrum without any effort at all which is a good sign i guess.
anyway I thought id share my travels with you all and hopefully maybe get some feed back on whats helped for you.

Thank you for reading
mummatojes

Postby veganmummy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:45 pm

wow, just wanted to say i take my hat off to you! sounds like you've all been through a fair few challenges and you've kept such a positive attitude, well done to you. All the best with your journey, im looking forward to hearing about your progress. :D And welcome to the forum!
Vee storked ME! Babygirl Magoo is HERE!
veganmummy

Postby elvencreature » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 am

Hi and welcome :-D

How inspiring that you're so motivated to provide breastmilk for Jes! I attended a seminar by an American Dr named Brian Vartabedian earlier this year, who is a paed gastroenterologist, and he talked quite a bit about breastmilk being helpful for refluxy babies.

Can I ask a bit about Jes being diagnosed as lactose intollerant? How was that done, and do they think it was caused by some of her other tummy problems, or something she was born with? And is it definitelt lactose intollerance, not cows milk protein intollerance? The reason that I ask is that human milk is always high in lactose, mums diet doesn't change that, but if it's secondary lactose intollerance (ie caused by something else, usually gastro or similar) then the gut can heal and be able to tolerate lactose again. I hope that makes sense!

Anyhow, just wanted to offer my suppoert, your local ABA group will be very valuable for support too :-D

Welcome once again and I look forward to getting to know you and your bub :-)

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!
elvencreature

Postby mummatojes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Oh bum, I just wrote out a big long reply and lost it all. Oh well probably better that way.
Thank you for your replies.

um warning maybe TMI in following reply :wink:

Jes was Dx with LI at 2 weeks old but I personally think they were grasping at straws.
We have a family HX of LI with her older brother and father both being affected and strangely they are both primary LI.
Jes was Dx purely by elimination, changing her off the prem formula she was on and putting her on a common brand LF formula, we have challenged her a few times but she still reacts badly and is kept on LF formula.

Honestly I dont think the drs have any idea whats happening with her, we have been battling this since she was born.
She has known nothing but pain her whole life, she alternates between cronic diarrhea which is a mustard colour, slimmy and extremely foul smelling and constipation with dark green almost black hard movements.
She projectile vomits has had a markablly distended belly since birth and after every feed you can actually see her poor lil tummy trying itself in knots as she screams.
Shes behind in her milestones because she hates being bent and finding a position that is comfortable for her to be help in is interesting to say the least while im trying to offer my breast or even give her a bottle.
But the thing that gets me is she is such a bubbly baby shes always smiling (even with tears in her eyes), she constantly chatters and is just such an amazing lil girl which is a big change from her big brother who did nothing but frown at us lol.
Sorry i dont think i had a point there. :?
Its been a long night pumping
Ive been in touch with my local ABA who have told me they have a meeting this coming week so ill be heading down to that, and I spoke to the one and only LC in our area yesterday and found out she no longer takes on private people only offers advice through the ABA meetings.
Anyway im rambling, thank you if you have managed to read this far.
Off to pump
mummatojes

Postby elvencreature » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Ok, I'm going to send you a pm, I'm not sure where you are but I know of someone who might be able to help you.

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!
elvencreature

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding