Relactating & total breast refusal journey - Advice want

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
aelfgiua

Post by aelfgiua » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 pm

You sound like you are doing so well, expressing is hard work and I found it very emotionally draining, wondering if you are getting enough etc.

Well done on the over night attachment and hope it keeps improving after she gets better.
Mum to 2 wonderful girls

08/07 and 11/10

maren

Post by maren » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 am

LO had a much better night last night. The coughing didn't wake her up and she slept through until 5:40am so I didn't try for a night feed.
Not sure what I'll do if she starts sleeping through again. How will we practise our night feeds?

I expressed 135ml this morning which is great.

So far LO is not even fully rolling yet (her arms gets stuck). I really think she doesn't see the point of rolling because she hates to be on her stomach (reflux baby, always spewed on stomach).

Not sure what I'll do with her when she's crawling. Playpen maybe.

Better go drink my water.
Lucia (half BF/half formula)
Alexis (attachment problems/ expressed BM & formula)
Jesse (FULLY BREASTFED!!!!!)

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:41 am

maren wrote:Not sure what I'll do if she starts sleeping through again. How will we practise our night feeds?
Maybe an option would be for you to wake during the night, and dream feed her? She will likely feed in her sleep as I'm sure you know, you don't need to wake her. As tempting as it wold be to get a good nights sleep, those night feeds or night pumping sessions are syuper important to send a message to your body!

Doing really well - go you :-D

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!

maren

Post by maren » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:44 pm

We haven't had much luck with proper dreamfeeding though. Every time I have tried to feed her (even bottle) when she didn't wake herself she won't feed at all or only for a few min.

She only feeds if she woke up by herself and then is still sort of sleepy.

I'll try anyway.

I tried to bf again today and she latched on for a minute or so but then got frustrated when nothing came out at the first few sucks. I really think otherwise she would have stayed on longer. So I went out and bought slow flow teats (we've already progressed from fast to medium flow) and I'll be feeding her with those from now on. Maybe then she'll be more accepting when she is used to working harder for it.

I also went and bought a "sort of" breastfeeding necklace that she'll hopefully like to play with and maybe that'll get her interested in bfing again.

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Do you think it would be worth tickling her toes to wake her just a little with the dreamfeeding, or something similar? Is it possible to take her to bed with you, and have her sleep tucked up next to your boob? That way, when she does the few small wake ups overnight (that everyone does when their sleep cycles in and out of REM sleep) she can latch on, or even just get those skin to skin hormones going? My memort is terribke, so I apologise in advance if there's a reason why this isn't an option, I have a vague feeling that there might be :oops:

When you have tried latching her during the day, and she has stayed on for a minute or so, have you tried doing a small amount of hand expressing or pumping first, to get the let down going, and then pop her on so she gets an instant reward? Do you still have the SNS, or have you decided against it because of the fiddlyness? (Oh, I hope I'm remembering correctly that you used one a while back :lol: )

maren

Post by maren » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm

I tried tickling etc but she just gets grumpy if I dare wake her up.

I could try co sleeping but I'm actually co sleeping with my older one right now so I'd have to organize for her to sleep by herself first.

I find the SNS terribly fiddly. She rips on the tubes and most of the time doesn't attach long enough to even notive there is more milk coming out.

I think the slow flow teat is my best bet.

She sucked for a tiny bit again this afternoon.

maren

Post by maren » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:25 pm

I didn't express much today. Only 4 times so far & 325 ml.

maren

Post by maren » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:23 am

Yesterday I expressed 400ml & she breastfed for a bit.

We had a great night.
She slept really well and I woke her at 3am to try a sort of dreamfeed. I bottle fed first and after 40 ml or so I then managed to attach her and she fed so well for almost 10 min.

And then she slept until 7:15am which is a sleep in for her. So I'll try that again tonight. I expressed after that feed and only got 30ml so she must have had quite a bit.

And this morning I got 90ml.

With the low flow teat she tends to drink less. So now she has about 150-180ml per feed instead of 200-240ml. So that means I'm now making almost enough for 3 full bottles (she has 4 1/2 per day).

maren

Post by maren » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:24 am

Today is Day 26!

maren

Post by maren » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:36 am

Day 27

We had another great night. I woke her up for a feed at 4am and switched bottle for breast after 20ml and the rest was bf.
She did really well and then slept until 6:45am.

I hand expressed for a bit afterwards & got 30ml only.

Hopefully we can practise attaching during the day today.

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:46 am

Wow, that's great progress, does that mean that you're slowly cutting down the amount of formula she's getting overnight? YAY! Do you have someone who can look after Lucia to let you focus on lots of skin to skin time with Lexi? If you can spend a whole day relaxing and cuddling ande skin to skin-ing, that might help. Not easy with an older child though :lol:

coppertones

Post by coppertones » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:00 am

awesome to hear she latched on over night!! Good luck with today!
Samuel Charley 16/02/09 A WHO baby now and still going (Im trying to wean now - i've had enough)
3 step daughters
S 19 years
J 14 years
E 12 years

maren

Post by maren » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:27 am

With Lucia around it's pretty much impossible to attempt to bf. But I have her in childcare 2 days a week right now to be able to spend more alone time with Lexi and also try & get some work done (I run my own business).

maren

Post by maren » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 am

I just made an appointment for Monday with a pediatric chiro. We took Lexi to a chiro when she was 6 weeks old but it didn't improve things very much. I'm hoping an actual pediatric one will make a difference and maybe that'll improve the feeding.

maren

Post by maren » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm not having a good day.
Tried every way possible to get LO attached but she just cried & made me feel very rejected.
In the end I gave in and gave her the bottle.
:cry: :cry: :cry: