Relactating & total breast refusal journey - Advice want

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
maren

Post by maren » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks SandO.

I'm having one of those "Should I give up?" days. Lexi has got a bad cold and a very stuffy nose and she can't breathe through it at all so she's refusing completely again. It's probably easier to breathe with the bottle.
So I'm pumping as much as possible but it never feels like enough.

Plus she's teething and we have to give her panadol through the night so she doesn't scream the house down.
I hate it when my kids are teething. They have the pain & other symptoms for months before any teeth come through. :(

Anyway... just have to keep going.
Lucia (half BF/half formula)
Alexis (attachment problems/ expressed BM & formula)
Jesse (FULLY BREASTFED!!!!!)

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:10 pm

!@!@
I always console myself with the thoughts that the cold would be worse without BM.
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

'It is survival and desire to be happy that drive mothers of disabled/ill children, not bravery or some strange need for martyrdom.'

maren

Post by maren » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:30 am

mum23dd - I like your new picture! LOL

We ended up going to hospital again on Sat but that was no use. After a horrible night & day I messaged a pediatrician we saw a week ago and asked if we could try asthma meds and she agreed so we tried that last night and she slept 14 1/2!!! hours and only woke twice. The night before she woke every 10-30 min. So that was heaps better.
She's still wheezing quite a bit so I think she needs to be put onto a proper asthma treatment regime now but I think we have some more answers now.

She's still completely refusing to breastfeed but I don't want to push it because it's hard enough for her if she can't breathe well.

I've been back on my meds for a week now and supply is pretty good. Better than before I'd say. So I'm expressing heaps and she's having a bottle for now.

maren

Post by maren » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Not much change here.

Lexi spent a night in hospital on Sun night to keep an eye on her oxygen levels and all that was fine. She's getting enough air although she's wheezing like crazy.

Last night wasn't too bad. Only woke up 4-5 times.

Still very congested etc. Will take a while before she is better. She has coughed & cried so much that her voice is almost completely gone. She tries to cry but nothing comes out poor thing.

I tried to attach her today but no luck. She now clamps her gums down and then pulls her head to the side so that my nipple gets ripped out while she's still "biting" down on them. Not great. I think I need to be patient and let her get well first.

I'm still expressing around 5 times a day & getting good amounts.

mummatojes

Post by mummatojes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:15 am

Oh wow, Your LO sounds so much like mine atm she has this horrid flu going around and can hardly breathe for being so snotted up
i just wanted to say good luck with your journey and your doing so well.
We have just begun this road with DD having never been on the breast and shes 6mths old but i believe it will be worth it.

Go gently

maren

Post by maren » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 pm

mummatojes - Good Luck! Would love to hear how things are going for you! Maybe PM me.

LO is now almost over her cough and her nose is pretty clear and she is starting to do better with her solids. Her sleeping is still all over the place which is driving me crazy but she's over the worst I think.

Now we have to pretty much start all over again with the breastfeeding.
So I'll try night feeds, switching bottle for breast and we'll see how that goes.

It feels like I have a huge mountain to climb after I've just done it twice already. I'm running out of strength.

Next week she is 8 months old and I know I can be proud of making it this far breastfeeding/expressing but I sooo want a happy ending where she just wants nothing but breast & finally feeds really well.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Maren,
Just wondering how things are going?
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

'It is survival and desire to be happy that drive mothers of disabled/ill children, not bravery or some strange need for martyrdom.'

maren

Post by maren » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:29 am

Not great but I think I'm starting to be ok with that.
LO was ok for a few days and during that time she had her morning & night feeds from the breast but I still had to express all other feeds. And the breastfeeds were still very slurpy with a million breaks.

And then about 4 days ago she started getting sick all over again and now she's back to coughing, stuffy nose etc. I'm so over it. She has been sick for 8 weeks and it keeps coming back.

I'm not 100% sure yet but I think I'll stop soon.
All the expressing takes time away from the kids and because LO is sick so much I just don't have the time to express.

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:24 am

How frustrating Maren! How are you feeling about it all? I hope the answer is proud of what you have achieved.

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 am

I just wanted to chime in and say you have done a fantastic job to get this far...and hope you get a good healthy baby soon ! It's so exhausting with sick babies...regardless of how they are being fed!

Have you seen a Paediatrician or sought a second opinion on the asthma/breathing/wheezing ? Did they do x-rays/scans to check for lung infections ? Have you tried using a saline nasal spray to keep her nose clear...

I prefer not to use medicine unless absolutely necessary, so things like cough syrups and painkillers aren't used very often, but maybe the saline nasal spray, some eucalyptus and methol rub for her 'chest' (I rub it on their singlet instead so it's being breathed in but not on their skin in case they are allergic)...might make a difference. The chomping and pulling on and off was typical for me when my kids were trying to feed with a blocked nose...but the lack of voice tells me that the infection has gone down further into her throat as well...sounds like a pretty sick kid...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

maren

Post by maren » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:08 pm

Yes I am proud that battled on for this long but I guess I'd prefer a happy ending. I just don't think that will happen for us.

I think I'm ready to let go. She is really not enjoying it and that's what I wanted most of all. An enjoyable breastfeeding relationship, not a constant struggle.

So my plan now is to express as much as I have time for. I know that will reduce my supply and when there is not much left I'll stop.

LO has been checked out by 2 pediatricians in hospital and they say it's bronchiolitis but she could end up with asthma later. We use saline drops, vaporizer, vicks etc and it's all working a little but she's still pretty unwell.

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi Maren,

Thank you for your thread it is very informative and shows that you can definitely get some success from relactation. I know that you have suffered a set back but focus on the success you have had so far and remember that tomorrow is a new day and anything can happen.

Hope you get to have some sleep.

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi Maren,

Thank you for your thread it is very informative and shows that you can definitely get some success from relactation. I know that you have suffered a set back but focus on the success you have had so far and remember that tomorrow is a new day and anything can happen.

Hope you get to have some sleep.

mum2noah

Post by mum2noah » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi Maren,

I can truly empathise with you as I am trying to relactate with my lo refusing the nipple. I express as much as I can and give him the amount that I get but it is usually about a ml. My main aim would be to get 30 ml a day to give to him. I am on day 5 and things have been up and down. I am taking medication constantly and fenugreek when I remember and nursing tea. I purchased a SNS but was only successful once. Will try this again tomorrow and hope I get some success. I have been expressing about 5 times a day.

Really hoping some success will happen soon.

Thank you so much for your threads they have been helpful.

Take Care

Francesca

maren

Post by maren » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:31 am

Hi everyone,

mum2noah - I really hope you'll be successful! I wish you and Noah all the best. Your supply should increase very soon. The meds & herbs take a while to kick in.

I have stopped expressing apart from expressing when I get too full.
Some days I'm happy because it saves so much time when you're not expressing but many days I still grieve for that positive breastfeeding experience I never had.