Relactating & total breast refusal journey - Advice want

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.
elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:45 pm

YAY! Even more progress, this is excellent!

Autumn is perfect for beautiful babies!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:26 pm

:smt038
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

'It is survival and desire to be happy that drive mothers of disabled/ill children, not bravery or some strange need for martyrdom.'

maren

Post by maren » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:50 am

We now breastfeed every night at least once and the night feeds are still the best. Expect for last night when she fed perfectly from my right (bad) side and then spewed it up all over herself so that I had to change her in the middle of the night.

It suprised me though to see how much she must get out of my bad side.

But in general nights are great, morning feeds are still short but usually pretty good. During the day it still varies. So far when we're out I still give her a bottle because she is so easily distracted.

Overall it looks like this now:

6:30am breastfeed + solids
9am bottle top up (about 50ml)
11am breast + solids
12:30pm bottle top up (50ml)
3pm breast/bottle (about 150ml) + snack
5:30pm breast/bottle
6:00pm - solids
6:30pm - bottle top up

Most of the bottle feeds are EBM. About 200ml.
Lucia (half BF/half formula)
Alexis (attachment problems/ expressed BM & formula)
Jesse (FULLY BREASTFED!!!!!)

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 am

Wow, that's amazing, so almost all of her milk is breastmilk? What an outstanding job you are doing, going from completely weaned, to almost completely on breastmilk!

mummysairsair

Post by mummysairsair » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:58 pm

maren wrote: 6:30am breastfeed + solids
9am bottle top up (about 50ml)
11am breast + solids
12:30pm bottle top up (50ml)
3pm breast/bottle (about 150ml) + snack
5:30pm breast/bottle
6:00pm - solids
6:30pm - bottle top up
So awesome to read more and more good news, way to go maren and lexi! :smt041

Was just wondering.. The times where she has bottle top ups (9/12.30/6.30) are you expressing at those times too to build/keep up your supply? Are you trying or would you consider offering the breast at those times as well? Even if it is just a casual "well it's there if you want it" no stress kind of approach :wink:

You are doing such a great job maren and I hope you are very proud of yourself for persevering through the challenging times. I just know your story is going to encourage and help another mum one day too, so your gift of BM goes further than you could even imagine right now :)
Patience.. It's what parents have when there are witnesses ;)

maren

Post by maren » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:24 am

We had a shocking night. Not breastfeeding wise but both kids are not well. Lexi is still coughing constantly & Lucia kept waking & crying and then both were up at 3am and I only got an hour sleep after that.
I can barely walk straight.

Anyway.. feeding goes well at night pretty much all the time now.
Last night because of her coughing she couldn't fall back asleep after the feed and after an hour she got a bottle top up.

Yesterday I did more of the top ups as breast feeds. I pretty much only bottle feed if the breast feed before that was only 30 min ago or so. And I do still express 2-3 times a day to boost supply.

I'm really hoping my posts will help someone. I would have never thought that we'd be feeding so much after complete refusal only 10 or so days ago.

I'd recommend to anyone to try a pediatric chiro and I think it's so important to find a good one. If you're in Melb PM me for the details of mine.
Even if you have been to a chiro with bubs before. Try again!!!

coppertones

Post by coppertones » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:47 am

You have done amazingly well Maren - congrats on sticking with it. This thread is definately going to be of help to other mums out there.
Samuel Charley 16/02/09 A WHO baby now and still going (Im trying to wean now - i've had enough)
3 step daughters
S 19 years
J 14 years
E 12 years

maren

Post by maren » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:43 am

Sorry but I have to vent a bit.

After coughing so badly last night we took Lexi to the emergency room at our local hospital.
Turns out she has whooping cough. I'm am absolutely furious about how stupid many GPs are. I took her to one Friday a week ago and she said it was nothing. She had every sign of whooping cough and I should have insisted they test her but I thought the GP must know better.
Instead my baby suffered for another week, probably gave it to us & other kids.

We've got a pead appoinment today to get her tested.

Plus I've had the flu for 3 days now. I could bearely move and felt shocking. Am still not much better. So breastfeeding and expressing was hard. I was just so weak. I think my supply dropped a bit too.

I had that LC appoinment on the 1st that I had waited for for 3 weeks. I felt so shocking that I had to cancel it. Grrr.
With Panadeine I made it to our speech pathologist appoinment yesterday and she thinks Lexi is not able to breathe through the nose properly and that's why she comes off a lot (to take a breath through mouth). She thinks it could be adenoids so I'll try to get pead check that out too.

Breastfeeding is going well considering everything.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:10 am

Sorry to hear that Lexi and you are not well.
Yes your supply is likely to drop while unwell but should come back easily when well.
Thanks for keeping us updated.
DD1 L 03/04 BF
DD2 A 10/06 BF
DD3 O 10/09 EBM has CP

'It is survival and desire to be happy that drive mothers of disabled/ill children, not bravery or some strange need for martyrdom.'

maren

Post by maren » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:55 am

Hi everyone!

Looks like my supply has dropped more than a little. I expressed twice yesterday what should have been a full feed. For me that meant 100-120ml just a week ago.
Now I can get only 30-40ml.
I know it's not just cause of the flu. I stopped taking my meds about a week ago stupidly thinking I didn't need it if she kept feeding lots and for a few days after it didn't seem to do anything to decrease my supply but then it suddenly dropped big time.

So I'm back on the meds. I'm back to pumping & feeding as much as possible. I know I'll get back up there in a few days.

maren

Post by maren » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Ok so here we go again.

I'm back on meds. Maximum dose.
Pumping every 2-4 hours and I get only 20-30ml.
And Lexi has started to clamp her gums down. I think she's doing it cause she can't get much when sucking so she just "plays". Hope that'll stop when supply is back up.

Others always say how breastfeeding is so cheap.
It's so NOT for us. I once made a list of how much I've spent on LC's, feeding pillows, pumps & accessories, nipple shields, etc etc and it's now easily over $1500 over 7 months of feeding.
And even now that I'm pretty much set up I still have to pay $20 every 3 weeks on meds. Bit cheaper than formula I guess.

elvencreature

Post by elvencreature » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:57 pm

You are still doing really really well - you might still be able to partially wean off the meds once Lexi is feeling better, but you have to do it really SLOWLY!!! Like drop the amount you are taking over the space of a month, stopping cold turkey is definitely a bad idea. Are you feeling any better from the flu now? It's horrible to get sick when you have little ones to look after as well.

Try not to think about the money, I don't think that's what it's really about for you iykwim, you should be so very proud of the progress you've been making :-D !!@!booby

Racheous

Post by Racheous » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:30 pm

I just wanted to say that you can do this! I think what you're doing is amazing and I'll be cheering you on from afar.

I relactated when my baby boy was one month old and got him back on the breast despite confusion. It is hard and I can totally relate with regards to the cost of meds/LC/herbs/SNS/pump/etc.

I've now exclusively breastfed since he was 2 months old (now 6) and am so happy that I went through what I did to get here. I hope you can get a similar result. Thinking of you!

maren

Post by maren » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:30 am

Thanks for your answers girls!

I'm too tired to think today.
I think Lexi picked up a stomach bug. She did 4 huge spews while in bed and after each one we had to change her and everything in the bed. After that I ran to her whenever she made a tiny noise cause I has afraid she'd choke. And now I've bearly slept and don't know how to get through the day with 2 cranky and sick kids.

I feel like I'm always getting the worst conditions possible. Nothing seems to ever get easier. Lexi is pretty much refusing to attach again. She drinks for a minute if I'm lucky and then she fusses. I'm pumping but not enough cause the kids are sick and I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I should.

I just want things to be easy for once.

SandO

Post by SandO » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:47 am

Maren I have just read through this whole thread & am so happy for you.

You have done so well & I take my hat off to you for persisting.

I hope things continue to improve & that everyone gets well again

xo
The best day of my life was the day we were blessed with your arrival, DS born 28/09/09. Now our second blessing has arrived- another beautiful DS (26/8/11)