Possible with an 18 month old?

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Possible with an 18 month old?

Postby NatMom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Has anyone ever tried this with an older child? My youngest is now 18 months and I would really like to start feeding him again. But we weened at about 3 months due to lack of supply, he was very under weight and I was advised by nurse to switch to formula ASAP. I didn't know there were any other options at the time. I've just found out about relactation. I have read the other sites (Kellymom and Bootcamp) so I understand the gist of it.

I guess what I really want to know is, is it possible to do with such a long gap? is he too old to start again? because he is so old, I don't really have much of a support network either.

grateful for any info!
NatMom

Postby JC » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Older adopted children have learned to breastfeed. I remember there was one account of a four year old learning, but I don't have the link any more.
DS born July 2006; continued until 5
DD born November 2009; until 4
JC

Postby workinmumof2 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 pm

yes it can be done. it may not work but its worth a shot. you can even express to see if you have anything?

i waited untill my 2nd was born 17.5month gap. and he goes on and off now at 3.5 but doesnt fully get it, but my situation is different because of his difficulties
here again
workinmumof2

Postby ms_kint » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:24 pm

maybe not completely relevant... but my DS fed for 2 weeks and with low supply and top ups from day 3 he was soon off the breast...

DD was born when he was 16 months old, faught low supply and still feeding her..

when DS was 26 months old (so DD was 10 months) he asked if he could have boobie...and he did... he has worked out how to suck by watching her and being told to suck and now has boobie one or twice a week, so not a lot, but after 26 months off the breast he worked out how to do it again...

so there is hope
ImageImageor not Image
ms_kint

Postby JC » Mon May 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Wow ms_kint, you've had an inspiring experience! At 26 months that's very impressive; what a clever DS. :)
DS born July 2006; continued until 5
DD born November 2009; until 4
JC

Postby mattaly » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I have just weaned DS who's 20 months as we are trying for a second baby with IVF. Towards the end of a pregnancy I would love to be able to relactate him as he's such a boobie boy and I really miss the special cuddles we had.

I really hope I can do it and had hoped to continued breastfeeding through pregnancy but we had an early miscarriage July and this cycle was negative so wanted to give my body a break and see if it made a difference.

DS is constantly playing with my boobs and really wants to feed. It's so hard watching that I can't wait til I can relactate and allow him to feed.

All the best and hope that it works for you.
mattaly

Postby Countrymum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:54 pm

You can always try, just don't blame yourself if it doesn't work out - DD1 was breastfed till 14months and when DD2 was born I had heaps of milk and was willing to tandem feed but DD1 didn't want too. I didn't push the issue - I certainly wasn't going to stress her out over it but I did often a few times but she would just express some milk with her hands and leave it at that, she'd say "The juce is for DD2" or "No it's DD2's milk!" "Feed DD2" but she was over 20 months.

Countrymum
2 bubbly beautiful girls - DD1 (5 in Nov), DD2 (will be 3 at the end of July).
DD1 breastfeed for 14 months, DD2 breastfeed for 34.5 months.
Countrymum

Postby crunchy coop » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I am not sure with relactating but I just wanted to say good luck! its now been 6months since i started bfing my 2yr old again after i weaned at 6weeks. but i had a baby so was already lactating-feel free to PM me :)
-Teneil
~Tandem BFing,MCN'ing,Baby wearing,Organic eating,Goth/Alternative Mummy to-Nikki 6yrs, Kiara 3yrs-Xavier 1year
And Loving partner of Ben
crunchy coop

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding