Teaching an older baby to latch

An area to discuss relactation and adoptive breastfeeding.

Postby Tx » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm very interested in this one too. Have been EEing for 20months. Ds gets that there is milk too but will bite also.

The other day he had a little suck, and will come up often once I have been expressing and want some squirted in his mouth :lol:
DS 2002
DS 2005
DS 2008 my angel baby
DS 2011 Exclusively Expressed for 2yrs 2months
Baby No.5 due Aug 2014
Tx

Postby Karleen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:00 am

Sorry I didn't see this until now- the forum thing is really mucked up hey?
Older babes can come back to breastfeeding. Often it comes down to showing them lots of breastfeeding (in real life or on youtube) and encouraging them to have a go. You can put words to it eg "See the baby breastfeed, you're my baby" To start with they often don't know what to do with the boob in the mouth (will just hold it there) but over period of a few weeks they usually get the hang of it. You can get them to suck on something else and tell the to suck like that at the breast, that helps soemtimes.
Karleen
Karleen

Teaching an older baby to latch

Postby bubly » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

My 17m old has been fed expressed milk in a bottle since about 4 months. We had attachment issues, a tongue and lip-tie snipped but we just couldn't get him to latch happily and feed well enough at the breast to gain weight.

Now he is older, he is very interested in boobs, understands what they're for and pulls my top and says 'boobs' and asks to 'bite'.

Can anyone tell me how to teach him to latch rather than bite? If anyone knows any LCs who are experienced in this area I'd love a pm.

I would love to get him back to the breast and feel I owe it to both of us to give it one last shot.

All advice welcome, thanks!!
bubly

Postby JennyD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Big Hugs. Hopefully Karleen will pop in soon. She has some experiences with teaching older babies to latch. Sadly I never managed it with my little boy, he never got that milk came from boobs. The only thing I can think of is explaining, wide open mouth, tongue forward etc, and then gently express some milk into his mouth and hope he gets the drift.

Good luck
JennyD
Counsellor

Postby fellare » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi bubly,

that is so nice, that you're keen to give it a try! and wow, EE for 17 months is a big effort! well done.

Have your seen that ABA has a booklet on this? you can buy it at [urlhttp://www.mothersdirect.com.au/catalogue/aba-booklets-2/breastfeeding-relactation-and-adoption]mothers direct[/url] or in your local group.

are you a member? if so, a counsellor in your group might be able to help, can you go to meetings?

You could try baby led attachment. Mine has breastfed from birth, but when his latch goes lazy, I place him the same way you'd place a newborn and let him attach that way. Very slimy affair, but usually improves his latch for a while (until he decides upside down feeding is much more fun :roll: )
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Thanks for the suggestions :)

It's funny, he totally gets that milk comes out, I do regularly express a bit straight into his mouth, but he just can't work out he needs to suck.
I've tried sucking on his finger to show him the difference and getting him to suck on mine, but he just bites it.
He also sees his big sister feeding, which I was hoping might help, but not so far.

I'm a bit scared of baby led attachment because I think he'll just chomp my nipples - eek!

I am a member fellare, I'll check out the booklet, thanks.

If you're out there Karleen I'd love to hear your thoughts!!
bubly

And Jenny - you are my inspiration to keep on pumping!! Whenever I think I can't do it anymore, I remember that you had 4 kids too and you did it, so I can too :) You really are amazing!
bubly

Re: Teaching an older baby to latch

Postby RebeccaCowie » Sun May 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Hi, I'm new on here, but have been looking for help everywhere.

My 13 month old self weaned 6 weeks ago and since I've been expressing and trying to re-latch her. I feel like I've tried everything. She absolutely loves expressed milk and will have about 6 feeds a day. In the past week I've been able to get her to quickly latch on and then off, but not stay on and suck. She'll just get the little bit of expressed milk off the nipple. She sucks her thumb and I can see she has the tongue forward like correct breastfeeding suck. But I cannot get her to suck at the breast. I've talked to her lots about sucking and having a "drink". I've shown her lots of pictures and been around those who feed, but still, no sucking.

What can I do to get her to suck? Thanks.
RebeccaCowie

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Mon May 30, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you come across this article? https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breast-refusal. A lot of it is aimed at younger babies that refuse the breast but you may find some helpful ideas to try, for example feeding while sleepy or asleep, or having a bath together and offering unlimited access to the breast. It might also be worth giving the helpline a call if you haven't already, a counsellor can go through things with you in detail and offer suggestions based on your situation.

Was there any reason in particular that your daughter self weaned? Some mums find it can be hormonal (return of periods). But it's quite common for babies around that age to lose interest in breastfeeding, they get very distracted and are far too interested in the world to bother with feeds. Sometimes these mums will find that if they push through the child will come back to breastfeeding with a vengeance a few months down the track, so there is hope!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby RebeccaCowie » Mon May 30, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks.
I've been in contact with my local group, plus called for specific help. I've called 2 lactation consultants & emailed another. I live without a top on at home & it's funny coz if I have one on she tries to pull it off. I've had a bath with her & lots of showers. I'm constantly showing her photos of her & other babies feeding.

Absolutely no reason why she suddenly stopped. I'm trying to tell her that mummy's milk will help her be happy when she's grumpy, & she loves expressed milk. She gets so excited to have it. She still has her correct suck, now to get her to suck on the breast instead of the thumb.

More than anything I hope she's back on the breast really soon. Thanks.
RebeccaCowie

Return to Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding