How to stop sending EBM to childcare

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

How to stop sending EBM to childcare

Postby joanium » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Now that Mia is one years old, I'm thinking of not sending any expressed milk to childcare. Our child's health nurse said that was fine. Any tips? She used to have two bottles of around 180 ml. I'm producing less than half I used to. The past two childcare days, I've sent her with one bottle and 100g of yogurt to replace the second bottle. What do I do to remove the final bottle? I've already tried to get her on cow's milk in a cup but she's not interested yet.
joanium

Re: How to stop sending EBM to childcare

Postby Penguin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 pm

i just started sending soy or cows' milk in a bottle (only about 100mL) until DD stopped drinking it - about 18 months i think for us?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby joanium » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks Penguin. I just sent Mia with 120 ml of milk today and I'll find out if she was happy with that. When did you do the switch to cow's and soy milk? How old was you baby?
joanium

Postby Yankee » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:39 pm

We introduced cow's milk in small doses just before 12 months. You don't actually 'have to' replace breastmilk with cow's milk. Once your baby is eating a diverse range of family foods, the cow's milk is really just an easy source of calcium plus fats and protein. So if your baby is getting those things other ways (yogurt, cheese, milk mixed into cereal or porridge, non-dairy calcium sources, etc), no need to stress about whether they're drinking cow milk as a beverage.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Penguin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:54 pm

joanium wrote:Thanks Penguin. I just sent Mia with 120 ml of milk today and I'll find out if she was happy with that. When did you do the switch to cow's and soy milk? How old was you baby?

Just over 12 months I think. I stopped pumping at work at about 13 months I think. For her it was mostly a routine thing ( bottke before nap) and pretty much stopped on it's own when she went up to the toddler room.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.