How much EBM do I leave?

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

How much EBM do I leave?

Postby firsttimemum » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:17 am

Hello all.

I will be returning to work when my daughter (first child) is almost 7 months old. She is exclusively breastfed and I've always fed on demand. I've not yet given her a bottle. I will be starting her on solids in the next week or so. She will be going to child care for a few days a week (I'm still not sure how many yet).

I have absolutely no idea how much breast milk I will need to send to child care with her! Is there a certain amount of mls a baby should be drinking? Should I send it in certain portions? She has always been a very good feeder, and is 97th percentile for everything, so she's a pretty big and chubby bubba.

I also have absolutely no idea how solids will work. Is it workable to focus on her having solids during the day time so that child care workers can have a range of food/milk to offer her throughout the day?

Last question, on non-child care days can I just breastfeed or would you suggest that I keep giving her bottles during the day so that it is the same as child care days? Or will she come to understand that what happens on child care days are different to days at home with mummy?

Thanks in advance for any help!
firsttimemum

Re: How much EBM do I leave?

Postby Esther » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:53 pm

Just a very quick response to the last part of your q.

Fine to keep breastfeeding as normal on days you are home. Babies already know the difference between mum and everyone else. Bub won't expect her carers to do as you do, and will probably get very confused if you do what the carers do! They will have to work out ways to look after her that work best for them, and that's what they're trained for. I'm always amazed at what my children will do for other people that they won't do for me :?

You also don't have to use bottles - sippy/straw/open cups are all fine.

Last thing is that I've found my babies prefer EBM cold. No idea why, but they hated it and wouldn't touch it if it had been warmed. The colder it was, the happier they were. Go figure :lol:

Good luck!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby Yankee » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi and welcome! If you haven't done any bottles before, I would suggest practicing with another carer offering a feed from a cup or bottle. If it comes from you bubs might be a bit confused! Have you done any expressing yet? I suggest building up a bit of a stockpile over the course of a week or two to prepare. Express whenever you have time, just 5 or 10 minutes a side, and do not dis pair if you don't get a lot of milk. Your breasts are used to making just enough and no more, so it can take a lot of sessions to replace a feed. Cool down the milk and freeze it in small doses - maybe 40 to 60ml. That way if bubs isn't hingry you don't waste a lot of milk.

Also I highly recommend calling the helpline, they are trained counsellors and super helpful.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby firsttimemum » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:15 am

Thank you both for your advice, it already makes me feel better! I guess I've also been worried sick that she will be lost without me and go on a hunger strike. It's comforting to know that they get used to carers and doing things a bit differently (although I still feel sick at the thought of leaving her!).

I have expressed through a few bouts of mastitis, I've used both hand and electric pump, so I know the general gist of expressing, but I've never expressed to feed so it will be a bit new. I guess I will quickly learn about freezing/thawing and how big her feeds are, thus how much to leave. I will definitely try a few day time feeds from my Mum to see how she goes (while I walk around the block :wink: )

She can drink water out of a sippy cup (just the last few weeks) so hopefully she'll be able to manage a different sort of sippy cup for breast milk, otherwise I will try a bottle.

Thanks again!
firsttimemum

Postby Yankee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Forgot to post this link, it's got lots of info about expressing and storing bm safely:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... breastmilk
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.