tips

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
katfisch

tips

Post by katfisch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:00 am

Hi All

I will be going back to work when bub is 6 months 1 week old and really want to continue bf and send breast milk for her I will be going back full time and looking for all the hints I can get

Thanks

Nedsmum

Re: tips

Post by Nedsmum » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:23 am

My biggest tip would be to really work through with your carer what their approach will be - it will vary greatly whether it's group care, family day care, care at home with a nanny or babysitter or by a family member....

Secondly, phone the breastfeeding helpline about 4 weeks before you start the settling in period with childcare, to make an action plan.

Babies change so much... By 6 months you may find the breastfeeding 'routine' is quite predictable, but you are on the verge of introducing solids...

Also, it will depend on how many days/hours your child is being cared for, and whether you can return for feeds.

Around 9/10 months it becomes a lot harder to leave the child -they start to protest separation- but you can 'get away with' coming to breastfeed and then going away again in the earlier months.

Also, you do not have to bottle-feed the baby when you are together. The association mum=breast can be cover strong, and you can breastfeed 100% when you are together and the baby can still be bottle-fed at childcare.

So much advice!
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

katfisch

Post by katfisch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:01 am

Thank you so much for the response :-) it will be long day care unfortunately no chance of being able to go back for feeds work is 45 minutes away each way it will be roughly 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week. I tried to pump last night and only got 20ml so freaking out a bit about being able to keep up with demand I have a brand name pump.

*brand edited by mod

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:25 am

hi and welcome,

I have edited the brand of pump as we try to avoid mentioning brands not stocked by our online retailer.

Have you looked at the information on our website about expressing?
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... breastmilk

You might find some tips that are helpful for you. if you look around the website, we also have information for carers who are looking after breastfed babies and how to offer expressed milk.

katfisch

Post by katfisch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:56 am

Sorry my mistake I thought the aba was for support not a store I will not be posting again

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:50 am

Have PMed you with more of an explanation Katfisch. Many posts get edited quite frequently. Ive had posts edited many times too. Easily done and not a big deal :D

How old is your bub now? Knowing a little bit more can be helpful in providing suggestions. Nedsmum has posted some good things to think about that you may be able to answer too

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi and welcome. I just wanted to add, please don't worry about only being able to express 20 ml at the moment. After the first month or two, your body knows how to make 'just enough' to feed your baby, most women find that their body doesn't automatically make a lot extra. So if you're trying to build up a stash of expressed milk whilst also feeding your bub, you will find you have to express over several sessions to replace one feed. On the other hand, if you are replacing a feed you will probably find you express a lot more. The link above gives good tips on how to be as efficient as possible when expressing.

Good luck and I do hope you come back, this forum is a very supportive place.
DD born September 2013

joanium

Post by joanium » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi Katfisch, I started pumping at 8pm (baby went to bed after her last feed at 6pm). It took a few weeks for my body to start producing more milk. I think it got used to the pump, and maybe it took a while for the body to make extra milk.

My other big tip is to buy a good pump, a double pump if you can. I found a great one for $150 on Gumtree. I keep it at work. Work was really good about buying me a little fridge just for the breastmilk.