Avoiding preference for bottle over boobie

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Avoiding preference for bottle over boobie

Postby joanium » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm

I read this just now and am suddenly scared:

One possible reason for ‘breast refusal’ could be that you have been offering bottles to your baby. Alice, mother of an eleven month old says, "I have recently started back at work. I am working three days a week. My son has been on a bottle when I am at work and after 3 weeks he refused the breast. My milk dried up. I tried tablets to increase my milk, playing with him without my top on and he sleeps with me so I tried lots of feeding over night. This has been very hard on me as I wasn't ready and if I hadn’t started work, I think he would continue to feed."

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/baby/breastfeeding/weaning-suddenly--or-is-it-a-nursing-strike-20140217-32v56.html

I am going back to work next week, three days a week. I think my 6 month old baby will have two bottles at childcare.

Would it be worth try to feed her milk from a cup to avoid the bottle preference? I've been giving her a sippy cup with water but she hasn't drunk any more than 20 mL from it (lack of interest? lack of ability? I don't know.)
joanium

Re: Avoiding preference for bottle over boobie

Postby Jenbt85 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Have you used bottles at all yet? Others will be along to give advice, but my experience with my son is that we have used a mixture of bottles from his first week in the world (ebm and formula if I couldn't express enough / when I stopped being able to express at all) and at 18 months he's still breastfeeding. We bought a bottle from the yellow range with a teat that made it harder for babies to suck. The midwife told us that it made him work for the milk a bit, like with breastfeeding. As he got older, I switched to age appropriate regular teats and that was still OK.

I know of babies that flat out refuse the bottle and some babies that only moved to a bottle for the first time when they refused the breast at 9 months. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.

When will the two bottles be given? Could you give feeds at drop off and pick up to minimise the number of bottles needed?
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Postby Esther » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Hugs, you sound very stressed that returning to work might mean the end of breastfeeding. I have known more mums successfully combine work and breastfeeding than those who have had to wean earlier than they hope. I will also say that 11 months is a time when some babies do start the weaning process by themselves. But there's a huge amount of difference between a 6 mo and an 11mo.

There's no rules about how you give EBM to your baby. A bottle with a slow-flow teat may work fine for your DD. A sippy cup or a cup with a straw is also something your LO could learn to use. A small open cup is very easy to keep clean, but takes some practise for everyone to get used to!

You will be amazed what your DD will do for other people that she won't do for you. You may find she only takes a little EBM during the day, but her intake of solids and water increases, and she'll make up the missed feeds when she sees you.

Some babies prefer EBM ice cold. They seem to know it's different and prefer the nice warm alternative even more.

Hope you get some positive stories here about returning to work. Have you seen the information on the ABA website?

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... g-and-work
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby joanium » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks Jenbt85 and Esther. My girl has had bottles before -- not many and has always gone back to the breast easily. So perhaps as you say it's more likely that we can do both bottles and breast. I'll send the bottles with her and watch how she behaves in the first few weeks.

I'm lucky, the childcare is right hear home, so I'll try to feed her just before we drop her off. I'll come back here and tell you how it goes!
joanium

Postby Jenbt85 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Please do keep us posted! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a smooth transition back to work for you :)
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.