Need some good news stories of travelling away

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
Esther

Need some good news stories of travelling away

Post by Esther » Tue May 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Please?

I may be required to tour for 2 nights at the end of July. I'm really torn. They won't force me to go - immediate boss has 9 children, all of whom breastfed for up to 4 years. LWOP an option. Part of me wants to not go, another part is wondering if anyone else has gone away for two nights at when bub is just over 2 and everyone (including partner left at home) has survived? Could I do it too???

DD2 just turned two last week (yay!!). Still breastfeeds overnight. Sometimes just once, twice rarely and even more rarely not at all. Wake up feed is demanded, although I have been known to suggest breakfast now and then instead.

I'd love to hear any and all stories from those who have been there and done that.

:smt100
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Little Tiggermum
Site Admin

Re: Need some good news stories of travelling away

Post by Little Tiggermum » Tue May 20, 2014 3:58 pm

what do you define as good news??

I've done a few conferences and left hubby in charge of kids and farm and animals etc. They all survived and had a ball. In fact they enjoyed it so much they sent me off to work full time and He stayed home. :smt005 suckers ( some days that is- its just hard in a different way)
DD#1 Boozo 15
DD#2 Puddins 12
DS Emperor Bulldog 9
DS2 Pumba 4
Can't get to a breastfeeding support group? http://mumsright.libsyn.com

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue May 20, 2014 4:49 pm

I did 2 nights away when Mrs Moops was 2.5 and it was fine. And again when I went to the big forum meetup a month later and she was also fine.

I went again last year for two nights when she was 3.4 and it was a nightmare - up all night for Daddy woo and really unhappy when I came home.

Then in March this year (age 4.4) for three nights and she was fine.

So based on our experience - go now, but don't go next year!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:32 pm

I went away just over a week ago- 4 nights. Toddler was absolutely fine, returned to the breast no problem. She slept through the nights by cuddling daddy.

I ended up with nipple thrush, possibly from pump damage and stress. I also had bad insomnia- I missed my nightly cuddles.

I have another work trip on Sunday- 2 weeks. I am dreading it. :cry:
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

Ducks

Post by Ducks » Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm

You may remember i came upfor a visit 2yrs ago :D
Ds must have been about 22mths. So from memory he was night weaned but still waking a few times for cuddles with daddy or mummy. He was fine for a week with dh and mil.

I also think i went away for work for 1 night when he was 15mths. Although he was waking for feeds overnight, dh took him into bed on first wake up and he slept the rest of the night with a few songs from daddy when he stirred.

Tricky decision though... you know your family best!

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue May 20, 2014 7:19 pm

DD had two overnights away from me in last December (our only night apart ever). Neither was planned and both were stressful. For the first hubby was away so my mum came to our place with DD. I thought it would be a disaster for DD, she was totally fine. That was a rather extreme way of testing if DD was ready for a night with grandma, but ultimately, she was fine. Second night DH was home with DD.

FWIW, I would go. But it's easier for me to say that to you than it is for me to do it myself, IYKWIM.

If I launched into a rant about the state of the arts in Australia, would that help?
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

snowie

Post by snowie » Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 pm

I had appendix out when DD was 2.5, I had 2 nights in hospital. She survived, but woke at 5am both mornings looking for minum - quiet upset. Nothing that DH couldn't deal with. I on the other hand ended up engorged and had to ring my friendly local BF counsellor :wink: who reminded me that I probably needed to express for comfort. Cue dangling boobs into basin of warm water. If you do go, make sure you take care of the !!@!booby
Never forgetting our angel babies

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue May 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Thanks all.

LTM, "good news" I think is everyone survived :lol:

Right MW, I shall let them know that it should be OK this year ;-)

Hugs whitto04. That sounds really hard.

Penguin, a rant about the arts in Australia would be entertaining, but I don't think there's enough space on the internet :roll: :?

Ah yes, snowie, thanks for reminding me. Best I take a pump from the sounds of it.

I do vaguely remember your visit Ducks... :wink:

Thanks all. I asked DD2's daycare mum for her thoughts. She gets to spend the most time with DD2 without one of us around. She thought DD2 would be fine, but was more worried about me.

I suspect I'll be :smt022 and :smt089 . Or alternately :smt069 and maybe a bit of 8-[ When I'm not :-({|= :smt043
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 pm

Esther wrote:
Penguin, a rant about the arts in Australia would be entertaining, but I don't think there's enough space on the internet :roll: :?
See, we could accomodate this if we had a proper internet network in Australia - oh, wait... :roll:
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS