going back to work/childcare/feeding/aaaaahhhhhh

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
cruisy_mummy

going back to work/childcare/feeding/aaaaahhhhhh

Post by cruisy_mummy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:56 pm

So I have to go back to work on the 4th March :( DD is 10 months old and will be spending 2 days/ week in childcare and 1 day / fortnight with MIL. We have started visits to childcare which she seems to really enjoy at the moment but I haven't left the room yet. I plan on going in at lunchtime to feed her. The carers in the room are really supportive of this but the director was a bit iffy. She said they will totally support me in doing it they just find that the babies where mums go in to feed are harder to settle because they are used to the boob to calm them. Sooooooooo I am kinda asking for your experiences. It does work right? The whole return to work thing is stressful enough as it is!

Yankee

Re: going back to work/childcare/feeding/aaaaahhhhhh

Post by Yankee » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:19 pm

Big hugs, I'm glad you able to ease your bub into things. I'm easing DD (almost 5 months) into childcare at the moment. I highly suggest you do a few practice runs where you leave for a few hours, but are able to take her home if things get too bad. It is a different story altogether when you leave the room.

Look I won't lie, I found it hard the first day or two. But I was surprised at how quickly DD has gotten used to it. It's still very stimulating so she gets very tired, but they put her down for naps just fine and I'm still demand feeding after every nap.

As to the director, they can keep their opinion to themselves. She's not the one in the room with your bub! I think it's wonderful to be able to visit every day and have a little quiet time. I'll be continuing to bf when I'm back in April (3 days a week) so we can swap stories. Good luck, you can do it!
DD born September 2013

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I returned to work at about the same age with DS1, and I wish I had ignored the advice they gave. Go in and feed your dd if that is what you want, if she finds it difficult then the carers will tell you (make sure you ask them to be honest with you about how she copes) I wish I had just gone in and fed ds1, it may well have helped him have a sleep of some description, and would have kept the centre a little more accountable.
Do what *you* feel comfortable with! not what they tell you too. But make sure they tell you how she is coping, not just giving you what they hung you want to hear
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Babies are very adjusting, and will learn the 'rules' quickly. Most babies will learn when Mummy/ Daddy drops me off at 7:30, then s/he will pick me up at 5. It will be just as easy for your baby to learn that Mummy comes in at lunch for a feed, then leaves again.

My DD is 2y 9 months, and has been in daycare since 8 months. She has fallen asleep for me without being breast fed (or falling asleep in the car/ stroller) on TWO occasions in her entire life - once on the couch next to me, and once in her high chair at the dinner table. Obviously she doesn't breastfeed to sleep at daycare, or when she's with Daddy/ Nan/ Aunty etc.

Do what you think will work best. If it's not working, then try something else. Good luck x
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

cruisy_mummy

Post by cruisy_mummy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks guys. You have made me feel a bit better and optimistic. As I said the ladies caring for her are very supportive of me coming in which is great. We have a trial run for a couple of hours with the in laws today (not used to staying with them) and another childcare visit proababaly tomorrow. Hopefully she enjoys it. I was watching them try to get the babies to sleep and it reminded so much of home. They wrapped one baby up and sat on the couch patting/rocking and put her down a couple of time before she settled. She kept picking her up and repeating until she was asleep. Then they tried the same thing with the next and another carer walked past and mentioned that the baby is really good at self settling.......the lady trying to get the baby to sleep looked horrified and said she just spent ages getting the first to sleep and wasn't going to do anything that could wake her up. It made me laugh, it reminded me of a mum at home getting kids to sleep and doing anything to keep them that way lol

~WildChild~

Post by ~WildChild~ » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 am

As a child carer in a babies room before I had my kids, I encourage you to go & feed your baby. I worked at a work based centre & often called mums over to give their babies a feed. Why would you take away something that makes bub happy if you dont have to? (Totally get that some mums just can't do it) If its particularly hard to resettle bub after youve left, they will tell you, but babies are smart & learn who helps them & how.
Good luck x
DS1 2006 - breastfed for 5 years
DS2 2009 - breastfed for 5 years
DD 2011 - breastfed for 4 years 9 months
Angel baby 2016
Storking ClOuD_NiNe

cruisy_mummy

Post by cruisy_mummy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I thought I would update in case anyone is interested :)

C is now 18 months old and is doing very well at childcare. She loved it from the start. We didn't seem to have any the usual settling in problems beside a couple of tears in the first few days. I did go and feed her at lunchtime for the first few months which was awesome. I get to know the staff better and watch them interact with the kids as well as spend time with C. After a few months she started to get upset when I left her after a feed because she started to assume we were going home and got upset when I left without her (she used to wave goodbye to everyone :( ) I took that as a sign that it was time to give up the lunchtime feed. She is thriving and gets excited as we are walking towards there. Overall I am really glad we started with thhe lunchtime feed. I really do think that it made the transition easier for both of us. :mrgreen:

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 pm

What a wonderful update! Thanks for sharing.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:26 am

That's so wonderful!
DD born September 2013