First day of daycare

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

First day of daycare

Postby Yankee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 am

I don't go back to work until April but the day care starts their term in January so I'm gradually easing DD into it. I've got work I need to do for myself so it's a great opportunity.

We visited last week and the ladies there are lovely. DD didn't even blink when I left, maybe she's too young for seperation anxiety?

So today the goal is to see if she'll nap and for me to go to the cafe while she's there. I've been gone 20 minutes and so far no phone call so she must be doing fine. But I can't help but wonder how she's doing! I didn't think it would weigh on me like this, I leave her with her grands at least once a week. I'm sure it will get easier as I get to know the ladies there.

Such a mix of feelings! I'm really looking forward to having this time to work, and love that she'll have new toys to play with, new people to meet and older babies to copy. But I've decided just now that I have to pop in and check on her really quick! :? [/list]
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby fellare » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:02 am

I think it's quite different leaving your child with someone you've known all your life, or who your partner has known all his/her life. Compared to leaving your child with strangers. trained strangers, but strangers nontheless!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby Yankee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:04 am

Ok so I made myself go to the ATM first, then go check on her, and I'm glad I did. They had just put her down for a nap and she started crying so they were rocking her to try to settle her when I walked in, but she was so upset! Of course I started crying too.

It actually didn't take me too long to calm her down, and she went to sleep in the cot. She even stayed asleep after a few startles (sooo many more noises at child care than in her cot at home!). I'm having lunch now until she wakes up for a feed.

I know this will get easier but man it's more emotionally draining than I thought!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Parla. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:30 am

Yankee, it's great you have a chance to ease both her and yourself in.

It's actually pretty normal for babies to develop separation anxiety a bit later, around 9 months, even when they've been settled in daycare for months. If there's one thing I've learnt from Nedsmum, it's that ;) So just be prepared, but you already know babies don't always develop in a smooth straight line.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your afternoon!
Speak to a breastfeeding counsellor anytime - 1800 686 268

The Penguin chick is a very proud big sister 8)
Parla.
Counsellor

Postby Mummy woo! » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I always say that talking with parents is part of the job, and to call if you want to check how things are going.

They sound like a lovely centre though - helping you both settle in.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Yankee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Yes this is the advantage of childcare at work, they're 10 minutes from my office door (5 minutes from a cafe) and super good at communication.

Ug that was an emotionally draining visit! She slept 45 minutes and they rang me to feed her, but even 5 minutes away she was sobbing by the time I got there. After a feed and a calm down I decided to sit outside the room for a while to let her play. Within 10 minutes she was sobbing again! More mummy cuddles, calmed her down, she was ok in the arms of one of the ladies but when she tried to put her down for floor play she was sobbing again! She was looking exhausted by then, hardly 45 minutes since her last nap but it was obviously more than enough new stimulation for one day so we went home. She passed out in the car of course and hopefully she'll have a nice long nap.

It's hard to imagine it was only 3 hours! And all things considered she did really well. We'll try the same thing tomorrow and see how we go again.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Snake Hips Mcroy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Hugs Yankee! I was shocked at how hard it was to leave my bubba with anyone!
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ
Snake Hips Mcroy

Postby Yankee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:47 am

Second day's visit is already going better. I went off and she had a play and they put her to sleep pretty easily without me, then I came and fed her. As with yesterday she was pretty unsettled afterward so I stayed nearby. She needed to be held by the carers and would cry if they put her down (at home she loves floor time but it's obviously a bit too much at the moment!). Again she was tired out very quickly so she just went down for another nap, the lady who put her to sleep is pretty amazing at it I've got to say!

I'll take her home after this sleep but it's been a much better day. Next week I'm definitely leaving her with one of my t-shirts, though, I think that will help.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Yankee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm

Second week is better still. She's so much more relaxed there now, first thing she did when I dropped her off was roll on her stomach and look around! She still gets quite stimulated and has a bit of a crash when we get hotel. But the ladies there are so lovely.

It looks like a lot of the other mums have weaned their (slightly older) babies already as I've only seen one or two other mums walk in to breastfeed their babies. But personally, I love having a little bit of time with her every few hours to say hello and have a quick cuddle and feed!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Re: First day of daycare

Postby Yankee » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Well it's April already and I'm now back at work three days a week. First two days have gone really well, DD enjoys her time there and her caters just love her. I seriously won the 'good workplace' lottery - a workload that can be tailored to part time work, an understanding boss, and the ability to visit DD three times a day to breast feed her at child care.

I've never really been into the bonding side of breastfeeding, maybe because it was so difficult for so long. But I'm now starting to see it as bonding time on work days because it means I get a quick cuddle and visit. Most of the other babies are either on formula or their mums express so they don't get to visit during the day.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 pm

So glad it's going well for you! That's amazing you get to visit DD and breastfeed her during the day, sounds like you have a great workplace!
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby Yankee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

ClOuD_NiNe wrote:So glad it's going well for you! That's amazing you get to visit DD and breastfeed her during the day, sounds like you have a great workplace!

It's a combination of good HR policies and a very understanding boss. I make him more productive so he's wanted me back in any capacity I can give as soon as I could come back! I'm working half time but spread across 3 days so the breastfeeding breaks aren't part of my 'working' time.

I don't know if my boss/company thinks this way, but it's better for them that I can take a few breaks to feed DD through the day. Because if that wasn't an option, I probably would not have come back this soon as I wouldn't have wanted to switch to formula and I don't think I could have expressed efficiently at work. Which would have meant even longer without my productivity!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby joanium » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Yankee, thanks for writing up your experiences. You alerted me to an option I hadn't thought of -- visiting multiple times to feed my baby through the day! My baby will be 6 months when I leave her at daycare for three days a week. Daycare is 650m from work, so a 10min trip or less. I had already decided to visit at lunch time but having read through your work arrangements, I think I'll ask work to take an early lunch, then a feeding break in the afternoon. So it will be something like 7:30 feed before work, 11:30 early lunch break, 15:30 afternoon feed, 18:30 feed before bed.

My little one is still feeding every three hours but we've just started solids. Maybe I can use solids to stretch her out to four hours.

It's now been a few months since you've started work... how have things changed since you last posted in this thread?
joanium

Postby Yankee » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Glad this gave you some food for thought, and I'm so glad your work is going to be flexible!

It's still working really well. I don't time her feeds, I feed her when she wakes up and they call me, because my work is so flexible. So days when I have meetings are sometimes awkward because I don't know if she'll wake early.

When she was six months I was still feeding her three times a day so you may want to consider how often your bub currently feeds during work hours. Solids don't contribute very many calories at first. It's only really about eight and a half months that my bub really started to eat a decent amount of solid food, and every baby is different.

I've also heard of babies adjusting well to less milk during the day when at child care and just drinking more when they are home. You'll have to see, I guess.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Yankee » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:13 pm

I thought I would also say that she loves child care so much that when she sees the door she gets so excited she almost squirms out of my arms! Although she's also starting to occasionally get seperation anxiety when I leave her, which is no fun. But they reassure me that after a cuddle she's playing happily within a few minutes.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Next

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.