Returning to work in 4 weeks-baby won't take bottle

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Returning to work in 4 weeks-baby won't take bottle

Postby Clipclop » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi

I am retuning to work in 4 weeks and my baby is 4 months old, luckily its only for 2 days a week. Ideally I would love to stay at home as it has being going really well for baby and I. He has always fed very well and is a very smiley chappy but I have return to work for financial reasons .

My problem is he doesn't take the bottle quiet easily. He initially took the bottle a few weeks back but then stopped. I am now trying a wide neck option and he is opening his mouth but isn't quiet getting it. I have rung the lovely volunteers on the breastfeeding line but I feel I need a more hands on approach . Is there a consultant that can call to the house or should I contact my public health nurse ? I can't imagine childcare accepting a baby that is a difficult feeder or will they? I am wonder in is there anybody else out there that has or is going through this transition and how did they handle it ? If anyone has advice on this topic I'd really appreciate it. I'm beginning to not sleep at night over it

I have moved here from Ireland and have very few people to help me .

Cheers !!
Clipclop
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am
Location: Perigean Beach, QLD

Postby Esther » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:30 pm

Does it need to be a bottle? I know some cc places prefer bottles, but cups or spoons are fine too. You may find bub does all sorts of wonderful things for other people that he wouldn't for you.

Have you spoken to the cc place? I'm sure this isn't a new issue for them, and they may have some suggestions too. You may find that your DS only takes small amounts when he's at cc and then makes up for it when you're around.

Don't know if this was already suggested to you on the helpline, but some babies adore frozen EBM chips or icy poles.

Good luck.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
User avatar
Esther
 
Posts: 11268
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:10 pm
Location: The better side of the river ;)

Postby fellare » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Mine liked a small cup and late a sippy cup as well, never the bottle. We used Medicine cups mostly, but the sippy cup was a bit quicker. That is, until he learned I was only away for five hours and he refused anything more than 30ml!!

You could try going to your local group and see what they say. Perhaps someone can show you. Cc should be experienced, so I'd ask them as well.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
User avatar
fellare
 
Posts: 7407
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:59 am
Location: here

Postby Clipclop » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Esther wrote:Does it need to be a bottle? I know some cc places prefer bottles, but cups or spoons are fine too. You may find bub does all sorts of wonderful things for other people that he wouldn't for you.

Have you spoken to the cc place? I'm sure this isn't a new issue for them, and they may have some suggestions too. You may find that your DS only takes small amounts when he's at cc and then makes up for it when you're around.

Don't know if this was already suggested to you on the helpline, but some babies adore frozen EBM chips or icy poles.

Good luck.


Thanks for the above. I called into childcare and they were lovely but it seemed like they didn't have many EBM babies in there. She told me to bring in how much he feeds on which as you know is hard to tell when you breastfeed. But I was thinking 600 ml as I will be dropping him off at 8 and collecting at 5 . This of course could be too much also.

I am going to contact them tmrw and see if they have other suggestions regarding cups etc. and no, I didn't hear about the icy poles, that sounds very interesting . What do you use and is it okay for a 5 month old ?I might try this next .. Thanks
Clipclop
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am
Location: Perigean Beach, QLD

Postby Clipclop » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:41 pm

fellare wrote:Mine liked a small cup and late a sippy cup as well, never the bottle. We used Medicine cups mostly, but the sippy cup was a bit quicker. That is, until he learned I was only away for five hours and he refused anything more than 30ml!!

You could try going to your local group and see what they say. Perhaps someone can show you. Cc should be experienced, so I'd ask them as well.


Yes I might try my local group and see if anyone can offer any input
Thanks
Clipclop
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am
Location: Perigean Beach, QLD

Postby Ducks » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Bm iceypoles: I've put the frozen bm into one of those feeder bags. It is a little mesh bag with a plastic handle. My kids generally love it when it is hot. It didn't hold much so I'm not sure about trying it for a whole feed...
Image
Image
User avatar
Ducks
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby marie7 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Is it possible to do some practise runs, you go somewhere for a few hours and leave a few options with dh or nana or whoever (cup, bottle, shot glass ect.) and see what happens? Some babies won't take it from mum but will from others, esspecially when mums not around. Don't stress bub will get used to something!! Also how far away will you be while at work? Any possibility of visiting the childcare centre for a quick midday feed? Then he might get by with a few sips of BM from the carers....
DS APRIL 09 BF 2YRS DS2 FEB 12 BF
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)
User avatar
marie7
 
Posts: 2406
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:51 pm
Location: Adelaide

Postby Clipclop » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Ducks wrote:Bm iceypoles: I've put the frozen bm into one of those feeder bags. It is a little mesh bag with a plastic handle. My kids generally love it when it is hot. It didn't hold much so I'm not sure about trying it for a whole feed...


Hi Ducks

Thanks for the above.. Where can you get these? It's my first baby and I'm not sure what feeder bags are ? Where can you get them ?

Thanks
Clipclop
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am
Location: Perigean Beach, QLD

Postby Clipclop » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:51 pm

marie7 wrote:Is it possible to do some practise runs, you go somewhere for a few hours and leave a few options with dh or nana or whoever (cup, bottle, shot glass ect.) and see what happens? Some babies won't take it from mum but will from others, esspecially when mums not around. Don't stress bub will get used to something!! Also how far away will you be while at work? Any possibility of visiting the childcare centre for a quick midday feed? Then he might get by with a few sips of BM from the carers....


Hi

Yes Nana has tried and he took it initially but then rejected it now I am trying as I want to persevere and he will take a small amount but then will stop.
I'm half an hour away but my husband is working v close to the cc so maybe he can drop off or I will go there.

Going to start Dh feeding him tomorrow.


Cheers
Clipclop
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am
Location: Perigean Beach, QLD

Postby Ducks » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Tbh I'm not sure where you buy feeder bags. I was given mine. It is a small mesh bag with a round handle at the bottom. About 4cm long and 2.5cm diameter. I'll have a look around online and send you a pm with details of i find out where you can get them.
Image
Image
User avatar
Ducks
 
Posts: 1550
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby FeeBee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Baby aisle in the supermarket
FeeBee
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: Brisbane

Postby Clipclop » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 pm

Ducks wrote:Tbh I'm not sure where you buy feeder bags. I was given mine. It is a small mesh bag with a round handle at the bottom. About 4cm long and 2.5cm diameter. I'll have a look around online and send you a pm with details of i find out where you can get them.


Thanks Ducks i got your pm:))

Cheers for all your help.
Clipclop
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am
Location: Perigean Beach, QLD

Postby Mummy woo! » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Clip clop I'm coming to this late, but just wanted to add that the daycare staff will have seen this before a few times - it is their job to sort it out, and they will.

Also, taking a tiny amount from the bottle is taking the bottle, bubs just doesn't want much (especially when you are right there).

Hopefully it all goes smoothly for you. Maybe you could get along to an ABA meeting on returning to work? Your group leader will be able to tell you if there is one in your group or a neighbouring group coming up.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
User avatar
Mummy woo!
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13644
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 am
Location: NSW


Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest