The boy that won't drink bottles

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

The boy that won't drink bottles

Postby katw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 pm

...or a sippy cup either. What do I do? I never had this problem with the girls!

Childcare are wasting 2 bottles of EBM a day, and putting his third in with his apples.

Grandma is hit and miss - he drank one for her this morning, and wouldn't have any after that.

He eats loads of solids. Drinks lots at night. In no immediate danger of fading away...but loads of wasted EBM :cry: and I'm not sure his refusal is good for his well-being, but I don't know what to do next. Help?
katw - mum to 3 girls Superhero 2002, Fairy 2006, Goldeneyes 2009 and one boy - Lennylion 2012

Postby Daydreaming » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:50 pm

We never had any success with bottles or sippy cups with two DD's. They would take small amounts from a cup though.

Postby fellare » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:10 pm

DS only has about 40-60mL a day when I'm away, it's hardly ever been more (sometimes it is, though!) He never seemed to suffer and made up for it at night.

I was sort of going by the theory that they can do 10 hours at night without a drink at that age, so they can do it during the day as well as long as they make up at night (2 hour feeding!)
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Postby ames » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 am

My son never took EBM from a bottle :-( Fortunately my mum was able to bring him to my work once a day for a feed.

He had quite watery solids using EBM, porridge, custard etc.

Hugs Katw, it's so frustrating when EBM is wasted :-(
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!

Postby Ronale » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:19 am

Do you drink water or something from a specific bottle or something? I found DS would happily take EBM from a hiking style bottle, but wasn't interested in actual bottles etc.
Have you tried straw cups, open cups, different style sippy cups, shot glasses, coffee cups? (just running through all the different cups I can think of :lol: ) Or, how would you feel about not sending EBM to Childcare? If he's drinking lots at night and eating lots of solids, maybe he just doesn't want it?
Good luck, maybe the excess EBM could become custard?
DS 06.10
DS2 01.13
DS3 07.15 Storked by the fantabulous moOKI

Postby Monicat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:48 pm

How old is he? If he is a bit older and eating a lot of solids and breastfeeding happily when he is with you I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. As others have said maybe try a cup? None of mine have ever taken a bottle or liked ebm, I was fine with that just didn't get to leave them for any length of time until they were eating solids.

Postby manomummy » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:29 pm

No too sure how old your LO is. When I went back to paid work par time the first time my DS was 9 months. I expressed madly before starting work for him. He did not take any of it. He would feed at night and continued as per normal on w/ends ad days off.
He joust had solids and water.
When I returned to work the second time with DD1, she was 11 months. I didn't express and she also just had water and solids.
Both BF for over 2 yrs.
I hope you find something that works.
DS 06 - BF for 28 months
DD1 09 - BF for 33 months
DD2 13 - new BF journey has started

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.