leaving 11MO overnight & full day

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

leaving 11MO overnight & full day

Postby Meliybee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 pm

I have to go away for a work trip in about 2months when DS will be about 11 MO...

Im not quite sure what to do.... Do I take him with me and try and find care so he can be with me to BF overnight & catch up?? does occasional care do one offs?

Or do I leave him behind with Grandparents & Dad to bottle feed EBM for a night & full day??? I dont know that I could express enough milk and whether my supply would drop...?! Also I dont know that I would really have the time/facilities to express as I'd be travelling and in a meeting all day.

I would usually have him with me for a work trip and wear him in my carrier. But this time its not really an option, it is a board meeting and I am the minute taker, so I wont be able to get up and walk/bounce around or let him loose in the room.

I have to fly to Sydney (about 1hr flight) and I think it might be too much to do it all in one day..

Just after some pointers/tips/ideas... I have a little while to make my decision.

Postby mum2H&R » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:03 pm

can you take someone with you to look after him whilst you are in the meeting?
DS1 - April 06
DS2 - August 08
DD - October 10

What other people think of me is none of my business.

Postby Meliybee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:05 pm

I thought about taking my mum as she would usually but I dont want to ask her all the time because she still works full time. I might have to rethink it tho hey...

Postby AbbeyCat » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:10 pm

It is a tough choice. If you could take someone that might ease your mind a bit.

But, with regards to supply drop, I imagine that it would bounce back fairly quickly seeing breastfeeding is well-established, and it appears to be a relatively small amount of time. But, am not a counsellor. Would you be able to express enough to avoid blocked ducts?

Maybe give the Breastfeeding Helpline a call and they could give some better advice on this.

Postby Meliybee » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:34 pm

my thoughts at the moment is to get the first flight out (6.30am) and the last flight home (17.30)
This would eliminate so many issues and only needing the small amount of milk for the day if they needed to use it. then too i can just express enough to ease the pressure and fire hose him when i get home :lol:

Ahh!! I get paid pittance and its a rock and a hard place taking someone with me cause its about 7hr drive (with the bub) to Sydney or cough up myself the payment for the caring persons flight. and by the time i pay for both flights (down & back - the co will pay mine) thats the full day's earnings of just going there!

Postby foxforcefive » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:23 pm

It's hard to coordinate, isn't it?! But if your DS has loving carers in your absence (which clearly he does!), it might be easier on him and you to leave him at home on this trip.

For the breastfeeding thing, that is easy peasy in your situation! Leaving some expressed milk for him to have during the day and overnight would be great but, at 11 months, not essential. If you have time to express and you think he will drink EBM, then go for it! Otherwise, he will survive on water and food until you come home.

As for you, express for comfort. Use a pump, your hand, whatever works for you. By 11 months, your supply is very robust, and even if it drops a little while you are away, it will bounce back. Just watch for lumps.

Most importantly, take care of yourself, esp if this is your first separation from your DS.
Wifey to 1 and mummy to 2
"If you asked me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you - I came to live out loud.” Emile Zola

Postby marie7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:17 pm

I like the early flight and late home idea... Saves money and a whole day is fine for an 11 mth old with just water and food and a little expressed breastmilk if you can get some to leave for him. He will be fine, try and enjoy it!
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.