Tips for avoiding accidental weaning

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Tips for avoiding accidental weaning

Postby Penguin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 pm

Hi all, question for a friend.

Her beautiful girl is almost 12 months and they weill be apart three days a week. Bub is being looked after by Daddy and Grandma and some time at daycare.

I think they cosleep and are still feeing on demand.

Any hints to avoid breat refuasl/ accidental weaning?

(I think I have the details right - please correct me if I got anything wrong :) )
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Nedsmum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 am

A lot of confidence and trust that it won't be a problem, and be prepared to feed 2 hourly overnight to make up for the skipped days (assuming it's 8-10 hours away from bubs then back home overnight)...

The association of mum=breastfeed is very strong at that age. I'd be more worried about not being able to empty the breasts properly and get mastitis...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby Mummy woo! » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:33 am

Nedsmum wrote:A lot of confidence and trust that it won't be a problem, and be prepared to feed 2 hourly overnight to make up for the skipped days (assuming it's 8-10 hours away from bubs then back home overnight)...

The association of mum=breastfeed is very strong at that age. I'd be more worried about not being able to empty the breasts properly and get mastitis...

I agree. I was working that much or more with both mine and look how that turned out! I'm feeding a 3yo an typing one handed right now 8)
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Snake Hips Mcroy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:07 pm

My boy is 22 months, and if anyone has any tips as to how I could 'accidentally' wean him I'd be very grateful! Lol
DS1 - born May 2011, breastfed for 26 months
DS2 - born Dec 2013, breastfeeding like a champ
Snake Hips Mcroy

Postby fellare » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:32 pm

they can start with a cup, straight off. No need for bottle, so also less chance of nipple confusion.

We still pace feeds when I'm away. So DS gets 40mL in a sippy cup at a time and it's topped up if he's finished, until he's done.

I do try to get DH to ensure DS eats all the milk, it reduces the catching up in the evening/night and also, I found he was a bit dehydrated when he went 8 hours with minimal feeds. This meant milk was offered more often than asked for.

Be prepared for a long feed the second you get home. I usually don't even get time to put my bag down, let alone take shoes off and sit down. The second I pick DS up, he bends over and pulls my breast from my top! No kisses, or hi how are you, thank you. :twisted: I find this a bit frustrating at times, especially when I need to go to the toilet!
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby cupcake18 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:40 pm

So just to clarify...if bubs is almost 12 months when when returning to work, there is no need to express during the day?
cupcake18

Postby Gwen's Mum » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:07 pm

cupcake18 wrote:So just to clarify...if bubs is almost 12 months when when returning to work, there is no need to express during the day?

It's pretty dependent on the individual situation - so for example I expressed at work when I returned, and DD was 13 months. I did so to maintain supply, (I have IGT and am therefore am a bit paranoid! ;)) and to a degree for comfort in the first few weeks. Other mums find that they absolutely have to express for comfort, but not so much for supply reasons; and for some, the initial engorgement they experience settles really quickly, and their bodies (and babies!) get used to the regular work day separation.

I guess it's a matter of seeing what works for you and your LO. :)
Last edited by Gwen's Mum on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby manomummy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:03 am

I have returned to part time paid work at 9 and 11 months. I found that they did not wean, but had a few more feeds overnight.
During the day they were happy with solids and water (mine did not take express milk).
On the days at home they were happy to feed as per normal and took less solids.
I did not have to express a full feed at work, but for the first few days I just expressed into a towel for comfort. My supply sorted itself out and continued BF both times to 2+ yrs.
HTH.
DS 06 - BF for 28 months
DD1 09 - BF for 33 months
DD2 13 - new BF journey has started
manomummy

Postby mamairie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:46 pm

I returned to work when DS was 10mths old. I expressed once at work and would get about 180-200ml which I would freeze in 2 batches of roughly 100ml. I was away three days a week for 10hrs a day. DH would give DS the EBM just before his nap times (100ml and each naptime) and he would mostly drink it all.

There was no reduction in his enjoyment of breastfeeding. He is still breastfeeding now at 22mths. I think i stopped expressing when he was about 18mths and could have stopped earlier as he stopped being interested in expressed milk was happy eating lunch and drinking water.

I didn't notice more feeding over night either. I guess he was already feeding plenty overnight anyway! He did want a long feed the minute i walked in the door though, as others have said.
mamairie

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.