EBM at child care updated

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

EBM at child care updated

Postby clairek766 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 pm

DS is 15 months.

I am sending 2x100ml EBM and he just this week increased his child care days from 2 to 3.

Once this week and once last week they didn't give him the 2nd feed. When we get home he attacks my boobs all night long! He also had 2 dry nappies there today, and this happens often. His carers also say he has only little wees. I'm concerned he's not drinking enough water or milk. At home he only has a little water with meals as he still has about 6 breast feeds.

I feel like they don't think he should be having it anymore. I was asked if he could have cows milk last week, which he cant - why give cows when he can have human?

Should I not be sending EBM for him now at this age? He is very sporadic eating there too so I figured EBM is better than nothing?
Last edited by clairek766 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clairek766

Postby Guadalupe » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Ummm... He's your son. If you wanted to send him with echidna milk then his carers should say "no problem" and make sure he gets it!

For them to decide for you what they think appropriate and then let it get to a level where he is a bit dry doesn't sound right

Apart from anything else.. He's only 15mths old- still a baby
Allons-y!
Guadalupe

Postby Penguin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:58 pm

I think you should bring it up with them, go to the director if needed.

if you send it they should offer it, especially if the nappies are dry.

Ask them why they are recommending cows' milk over human, and what evidence they have to support that.

FTR I stopped sending bottles at 15 months because DD stopped drinking them, but they were still offering (at least that's what they told me) I was only sending soy milk then though because I'd stopped pumping by then.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby clairek766 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Penguin wrote:I think you should bring it up with them, go to the director if needed.

if you send it they should offer it, especially if the nappies are dry.

Ask them why they are recommending cows' milk over human, and what evidence they have to support that.

FTR I stopped sending bottles at 15 months because DD stopped drinking them, but they were still offering (at least that's what they told me) I was only sending soy milk then though because I'd stopped pumping by then.

Yes I'm going to raise it, not looking forward to it! There's been a few issues actually I'm about disappointed they are a community centre half owned by govt I had lots of good recommendations for it too
clairek766

Postby Nedsmum » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 am

In reality, they probably have zero experience with EBM, and are handling the situation strangely.

If you are sending the milk, then I'd expect them to offer it... you could ask them what their 'average' food/drink offer is over the day, and then make a plan that fits your child's needs, in line with their 'plan'.

Quite likely he's 'hanging out' whilst there, and from the sounds of it, making up for it at home.

I would not bother arguing with them over the cow's milk vs. EBM. I'd just ask them what they are offering through the day to the other kids, and if the other kids are being given cow's milk in a cup at certain times in the day, then he could be having EBM at a similar time.

The dry nappies I would not worry so much about, unless the urine is concentrated. In my experience, formula and cow's milk fed babies have a lot more 'output' because the body is flushing out the extra salt etc that is not 'perfectly balanced' the way that breastmilk is - if the urine is darker yellow, then I'd be worried, but if it's clear and 'pleasant' smelling (well, pleasant as 'urine smell' can be)... from a breastfed baby, then pretty much I would not be worried...

I would look at the overall picture over 1, 2, 3 days, and what they are doing in their normal 'routine' and tell them what you think they should do....it's much easier if they have a 'plan'...

Are your care days consecutive ? If so, by third day of being away from you, I'd expect his appetite to increase at childcare - but if it's only 2 days, then I'd expect him to simply 'catch up' on the other days / nights when he is with you.

I went back to work for a 9 week contract when my daughter was around 12 months, and she was about 90% breastfed, 10% other food, and the feeding 2 hourly at night was a challenge, but I was prepared to do it to sustain the breastfeeding and I knew that it was only short-term. Things settled down when I finished the contract...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby Gwen's Mum » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:20 am

How strange, and frustrating! I wonder why they would think your LO is likely to drink more cow's milk than EBM, if he's not that keen on drinking fluids at all while he's there? I call BS on that logic! Hope you find the director more understanding.
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13
Gwen's Mum

Postby clairek766 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Well the week before last I asked what their routine was for drinks and cows milk they said it was water with all meals and cows milk with morning and afternoon tea. I said I was happy for him to have his EBM at these times and to self feed in his sippy cup with the other kids. (He doesn't have a bottle any more).

Well, as usual the didn't take my suggestion on board, BUT they have been offering it at different times and he hasn't had dry nappies since. :-) yay!

His wet nappies do smell strong when I change him after work though, and on Thursday it was quite yellow too.
clairek766

Postby Mummy woo! » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:07 am

clairek766 wrote:Well the week before last I asked what their routine was for drinks and cows milk they said it was water with all meals and cows milk with morning and afternoon tea. I said I was happy for him to have his EBM at these times and to self feed in his sippy cup with the other kids. (He doesn't have a bottle any more).

Well, as usual the didn't take my suggestion on board, BUT they have been offering it at different times and he hasn't had dry nappies since. :-) yay!

His wet nappies do smell strong when I change him after work though, and on Thursday it was quite yellow too.

IME they won't let the kids self-feed EBM in case they decide to share :roll:

It does all sound very strange though - did you see the article on BF friendly childcare in Essence? We have been quite lucky with our centre, but I really feel for you in not having carers who respond to your guidance.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby clairek766 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes I saw the article I read it straight away :) Great to read the ABA is supporting bf in child care centres.

DS and only one other baby are having EBM at my centre in the U2 room on his days, so education would be wonderful!

We did have an incident a while back too where another baby got my little mans EBM - luckily the parents were pretty relaxed about it and no allergy concerns!
clairek766

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.