having trouble breathing-updated

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
Esther

having trouble breathing-updated

Post by Esther » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:09 pm

I hate being back at work and back on the treadmill of trying to organise childcare around our stupid hours. Everyone who offered to help last year is only able to do a Saturday night sometimes. That doesn't help for weeknight shows. I couldn't offer the work to a nanny as our night work tends to go in fits and starts. Maybe nothing or one night for weeks and then an opera season or something when we work 4 nights a week.

Argh! What possessed me to have children and try and work this job??? DP keeps telling me to relax, it will all work out, but he's not the one trying to find care - I am!

At least DD1 and DS are at school, but our work is all over the shop, days, evening, weekends, calls that go from the afternoon into the evening. Weekends, Sundays. I wish I could say it paid well, but it doesn't and at the moment, 2nd week back from maternity leave, I'm ready to chuck in the towel and quit. Which won't help anything :(

*tries to stay calm and remember to breathe*
Last edited by Esther on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:23 pm

!@~@~!group hug

So very sorry I can't help out. Just having 1 is keeping me on my toes. :(

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 pm

oh Esther :smt056

Baby Blue Eyes

Post by Baby Blue Eyes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:29 pm

That sounds really tough :(
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths

Gwen's Mum

Post by Gwen's Mum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm

I'm not sure whether it's a ludicrously over-priced option, but a good friend of mine used to work for a nanny service in Brisbane that offered a range of care - from one-off, to random, to regular scheduled care. I can hunt around and find the website/info for you, if you'd like?

In any case, huge ((hugs)) - FWIW I'd be a ball of panic and worry, too! But your DP is probably right, and it'll all work out in the end (much as I hate to admit it, my DP is often right when he says that sort of thing, too... :roll: :lol:).
Image Image

Welcome Daydreaming's DS! - 18 Sept '13
Welcome Feather's DS! - 27 Oct '13

Esther

Post by Esther » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Yes please to a pm Gwen's Mum, I'd appreciate that.

I'm starting to be known as the crazy lady that asks everyone if they know someone who does childcare :smt119 :roll: :lol: I've been spending some time this evening trawling classified ads... [-o<

Must go, DD2 stirring, drat those teeth!
Esther
Storked by nat*4

JMc

Post by JMc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 am

Oh dear! I'd being going crazy. Hope you work something out. And think of all those people enjoying your music!
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

pfongk

Post by pfongk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Have you looked into FDC? I don't know how that'd go for musos with the odd hours you guys work, but I know there are carers that do weird hours for nurses and the like.
I also used to work for a nanny agency up here and a lot of my work was people who were staying in hotels for conferences and had the kids with them, or worked strange hours and hubby was on exercise or similar. The agency I worked for qualifies for CCB and CCR now as well.

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:46 am

Able to breathe again as of this a'noon, when I think I have all childcare organised until mid-March :-D

Still think I can see the point in quitting my job, but if I did, I could never go back :-(
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Esther

Hmph, MW. Wish I knew....At least we talk about 'us' forking out money for cc (remembering a recent discussion on this topic). It's always been me, although I do recall him doing up time sheets for a nanny when DD1 was a baby. And he did talk to one of his students. I'm not making this sound better, am I? :lol:
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Esther

Actually I shall re-frame my last reply. I organise the cc because I'm good at it, I'm prepared to miss out on other things to get it done, and it's something that needs doing often. Let's just say that DP is your man if you have a big job to do, like re-painting front room, re-puttying all the windows. I could no more do that than fly unaided.

I do all the stuff that keeps us afloat day-to-day and spend the money (that's left after cc) :-D

How's that for re-framing? :lol:
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Esther

Food for thought. Thanks MW xo
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Esther

geek anachronism wrote:If you're super stuck, I'm in Brisbane - you don't know me from a bar of soap though!
mwah. Thank you. I'd go a forum baby sitter any time :-D

And yes, mowing the lawn is not a daily activity.
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

I don't want to stir up trouble in your relationship, but why is childcare 'your' responsibility? It should be at most half your job and half DH's. Can he share the burden?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Esther wrote:Actually I shall re-frame my last reply. I organise the cc because I'm good at it, I'm prepared to miss out on other things to get it done, and it's something that needs doing often. Let's just say that DP is your man if you have a big job to do, like re-painting front room, re-puttying all the windows. I could no more do that than fly unaided.

I do all the stuff that keeps us afloat day-to-day and spend the money (that's left after cc) :-D

How's that for re-framing? :lol:
As long as you are happy with the division of labour, it doesn't matter a jot what I think!

Buuuutttt, you aren't happy with the current size of your workload and while in general the whole room painting thing is great, maybe you could talk to him about how to take some more of the load off you right now when you really need it. Even just telling him you are feeling overwhelmed, and having a talk about it could help. And would you feel better if he took a little time to give you some praise for all that you do more often - the same task looks different when someone tells you that you are doing well and it is appreciated.

HTH
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either