Delaying feed for 1/2 hour at childcare by giving cows milk?

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
bobbin

Delaying feed for 1/2 hour at childcare by giving cows milk?

Post by bobbin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 pm

My almost 9 month old started childcare last week when I went back to work 2 days a week. The childcare centre is just down the road from my work so I feed DD at 8:30am before I head to work, and then go back at 12pm to feed her at lunchtime.

Today she got upset at 4:30pm and when I went to pick her up at 5pm the carers asked if they could give her the frozen EBM I had left there. I left it there so if she needed a feed when I was away they could give it to her, but I just don't want to have to be pumping at work if I don't need to. At home she often goes up to 5-6 hours without a feed now (but often it is about every 4 hours I guess, except in the morning where it is 2 hours). And as I would be there only half an hour later...

Anyway, is 9 months old enough to ask them to maybe give her some full cream milk to tide her over to 5pm when I get there? Not to replace the feed, but to delay it for half an hour? Or is this bad?

Hmm.. now I am thinking that maybe I should delay going to see her at lunchtime by half an hour to see if that makes any difference too.

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:55 am

At my childcare, we'd rather give some extra 'snack' (solids and water) rather than cow's milk as a 'filler'...as a preference, because we'd be worried about the baby not being able to digest the cow's milk, and it's not the same as breastmilk, and it's sort of against the 'breastmilk or formula to 12 months' rule that we have...

Is she having solids/water in between ? Maybe the staff hadn't considered that option (they probably have mostly ABM-fed babies)...or she slept through a 'snack' and someone forgot to offer it at a later moment ?

If you were going to have 'emergency' milk then I think formula is still the better option for a baby of that age, and not a full bottle, just 50mL or something as a 'filler'...

Without looking at the overall pattern of the child, I wouldn't fudge the morning in the hope that it might 'fix' the afternoon better - it's just as likely your child was anticipating your return, and/or the carers were thinking 'it's ok mummy comes back soon...and mis-timed their plan' - or maybe she was just plain tired!

I'm pretty sure you can get around it by pumping a little during your non-work days, to have a little stash on those work days, if that helps smooth it over... but I'd tell them not to give more than 50mL so that they don't fill her right up just before you get back!

Anyway, not sure if I answered your question, I kind of have more questions than answers in my mind about the bigger picture...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 am

I think I'd probably ask them to offer complementary foods/solids.

I wanted to also post a link to this adorable post http://yvettesramblings.blogspot.com.au ... d.html?m=1 about expressing a little at a time and building up a stash.

fellare

Post by fellare » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:06 pm

dh gives extra solids/water if I'm home late and DS is hungry. He doesn't get cowsmilk as we don't have it available.

if it's just half an hour, a distraction might even be enough
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

bobbin

Post by bobbin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:22 pm

She has water and has morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea at childcare. They tried to give her water but she was upset and so they gave her the EBM.

I was thinking of the cowsmilk as just a distraction really but having read your replies I have just decided to pump once I get home at around 5:30pm instead. It is a pain but I guess it is only once a day.

I think she might just be upset because she is tired. She has only been having about 1.5 hours sleep a day at childcare, whereas at home she would normally have around 3-4 hours during the day. But she needs a lot of help to go to sleep and she needs quiet to sleep, so it makes it a lot harder to sleep at childcare than at home. I so wish I lived in my home town so my mum could look after her!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 pm

It will take time for her to build up the sleeping at childcare, but I'm pretty sure she'll find her new 'rhythm'.

With such a long day, although it might be inconvenient to pump when you get home, it's also likely to be quite a successful pumping session, and as long as you are feeding directly and frequently on your 'non-childcare days' it probably won't cause any long-term dramas.

When my daughter was 10-12 months I did a very big work contract, and my daughter refused to take any EBM or bottles, and she 'survived' on water and solids all day, and fed every couple of hours overnight to catch up...it was exhausting for me, but it was necessary, and everything bounced back when I finished the contract and was back home again...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!