experimenting with EBM-update

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
Esther

experimenting with EBM-update

Post by Esther » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

I've finally decided (with 2 weeks to go :lol: ) that perhaps it would be better if I try DD2 out with some EBM before handing her over to the FDC mum.

If I go out for too long without her, I'll need the pump. I don't really want or need to be out for that long anyway - even if I took the older two to a movie. She'd probably just hang out until I returned :roll:

DP's suggested waiting until she wants a feed here and then disappearing for a bit while he has a go.

Any other ideas? Or just don't bother. I suspect she's going to be like her older siblings and not touch the stuff. I, alas, will need to express regularly while I'm away or I will burst.
Last edited by Esther on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Cue question the Penguin always asks:

Does your milk smell funny? Do you think that your other kids rejected it because of lipase issues? Have you tried scalding it and offering that?

Otherwise, I've got no idea. I'd probably go with the disappear for half the day plan rather than the diasppear when she needs a feed paln, but that's just me.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

fellare

Post by fellare » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

yeah, I'd go and let dh take care of a feed. Just to see what happens. It's what worked for us, usually, but we did get him to take a bottle when I'm home so I can have a drink (he always wants a feed 30min after I start, just a single beer, nothing much, doesn't matter when I fed him last, 30min in, and that's it)

You might also like to try different bottles/cups/whatever. we have some work better than others.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:00 am

Penguin wrote:Cue question the Penguin always asks:

Does your milk smell funny? Do you think that your other kids rejected it because of lipase issues? Have you tried scalding it and offering that?
:lol: I dunno. Suspect it might, as Ducks has the same issue with lipase, but I've never tested it, despite all that research I was going to find time to do months ago :roll:

Gotta dash, thanks for thoughts!
Esther
Storked by nat*4

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Well, I thought I'd grab one of my (non-scalded) frozen ebm sticks out of the this morning and defrost it for a sniff and taste test. DD2 was a bit hungry, so I just decided to offer it to her straight from the fridge where it had been defrosting and see what happened.

She drank it without a murmur :shock: :-D From me or DP. Seemed to quite like it actually :lol:

Feeling a bit more inspired now to actually clean up the pump and start expressing a bit here and there for DD2's first day of FDC in a few weeks ( :cry: )
Esther
Storked by nat*4

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:29 pm

I hadn't really prepared DD for taking a bottle of EBM. We just did a couple of long car trips (where she doesn't feed very often) and I expressed, then let her play with the bottle. She once drank 40mL, but has been offered the bottle many times and totally refused.
Today was her first day- and as expected, she basically refused the bottle. The staff were great- they offered the small amounts I had sent, but didn't stress. Baby was given water and allowed to play with food.
And my pump seems to have some 'glitchy' spots. I am almost hoping that DD won't take a bottle, and I can wean off daytime expressing. A much cheaper option than buying a new pump. :shock:
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!

Esther

Post by Esther » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Eek to pump :-o Hope you find a good solution all 'round.

Was glad it worked, at least once. It got very boring expressing lots for the older 2 to turn up their noses at. I seem to remember most variations on temperature and vessel were attempted. All in vain. Might it be 3rd time lucky (she whispers, tapping wood and clutching a rabbit foot)??
Esther
Storked by nat*4

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

Esther- my pump just died. :shock: Got 130mL out before it totally lost suction.
And DD 'reverse cycled' last night. Spent pretty much all night attached. While it's tiring, I have done this before and can manage it.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Oh dear on the pump. Do you need to pump while yr supply adjusts, or will it all work itself out? Can't remember. How old is DD4?

Ah yes. Reverse cycling. Quite sure there will be a bit of that going on....
Esther
Storked by nat*4

whitto04

Post by whitto04 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm

DD#4 will be 1 year old next week. If she won't take a bottle, I will need to express to prevent engorgement/mastitis until my supply settles. DD#3 was 18 months old when we stopped day/work feeds, and we managed that ok.

And DH tried to fix my pump.... it was a snapped belt in the motor. While an elastic hair band is similar in size to a small rubber belt, the stretch factor doesn't match up....
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.

Esther

Post by Esther » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:46 pm

whitto04 wrote:And DH tried to fix my pump.... it was a snapped belt in the motor. While an elastic hair band is similar in size to a small rubber belt, the stretch factor doesn't match up....
:lol: rubber bands can do all sorts of things, but maybe you've found thei Waterloo...

yep, sounds v familiar to me with all the pumping to avoid things happening to me, rather than actually give nutrition to anyone. So far, at least. Watch this space. DD2 even transferred from car to bot today *and* then slept for 2 hours. This is unheard of with my children:-o
Esther
Storked by nat*4

AbbeyCat
Trainee

Post by AbbeyCat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Esther wrote:Watch this space. DD2 even transferred from car to bot today *and* then slept for 2 hours. This is unheard of with my children:-o
Warning Murphy to stay away. Far, far away...