Return to work in 2 weeks- eek!

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Return to work in 2 weeks- eek!

Postby Charliebear » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:26 pm

I have a 9 month old and am returning to work in 2 weeks, I will be doing alternate weeks of 2 days one week, 3 days the next. Flexible with my hours, but planning to do 8:30-4:30 or 5pm roughly.

My MIL is coming to our place to care for bub while I am at work which is both good and bad. My MIL never BF her 4 kids so it has been a battle to explain about BFing etc and I still don't think she quite "gets" it and thinks I am a bit silly for still BFing.
I have the resource from the ABA site about caring for the breastfed baby but who knows if she will even read it.

Anyway, I plan to express and leave EBM to give via straw cup. I say plan as I have not expressed and stored any milk as yet and hoping it all works out.
I did express a fair bit when he was younger and froze bits but that was ages ago.
Do you think expressing once a day at work would be adequate? If I am feeding him before I go and after and he wakes in the night still up to 3 times.
Also if I only leave one milk feed for him while I am gone would that be enough? He is a great eater so I'm not worried he'll starve or anything.

PS sorry for the ramble

Postby marie7 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Sounds like a good plan. I think if I left my now 10 mth old with my mum for that long he would be more than happy sipping on a breastmilk straw cup and water for the day and eating solids. And would make up for it at night like your saying your lo will... I would probably suggest giving it a trial run before you start work though... And pumping once a day should be fine, if your providing that milk to him during the day via straw cup then it will still be supply = demand ect. Good luck
Number 3 on its way due 18 may!!
Fellare is storking me!! :)

Postby Bellatrix » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 pm

I went back to work similar hours when my DS was 10 months. I either got away from work to feed him or expressed at work. I found once over the course of the day was enough at that age but was pretty ready to feed him when I got home! He also only took one milk feed per day when I was away and he wasn't a great eater
Good luck and I hope it all works out with your MIL.
DS April 2011
DS2 June 2013

Postby Esther » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Sounds good. I'm delighted to see someone else who hasn't been practising giving their child ebm before they go to cc. I was buying a mesh feeder the other day (for ebm ice cubes - maybe another idea?) and the shop assistant was gob smacked that I hadn't ever used a bottle with her.
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.