Going to grandma's

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
bubbychoochoo

Going to grandma's

Post by bubbychoochoo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:12 am

DH & I are going to a concert tonight & we're dropping 6mth old DD off at Grandma's @ 5pm & won't return til 12am. This is the longest we've left DD & we are all a little nervous. Gma asked for a list of do's & dont's. What do I put? I don't want to offend her by putting something really obvious, but then what if it's not obvious to her? :? So far I've just put things like don't leave her unattended, no blankets or toys in the cot, no hot drinks around her... Any suggestions?

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 am

There are some ideas here https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/system ... de2012.pdf and here https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... stfed-baby. It looks like the two links have pretty much the same info as each other, but the first link is a PDF, so it might print more nicely, and it has a spot to write phone numbers.

Some other things that might or might not be relevant to your situation
-whether to/not to snuggle to sleep or to pick up from cot or reassure baby if baby cries
-practice runs with safely wearing pouch/carrier/sling and putting baby in and out of it
-any particular times baby is likely to be awake or asleep, and whether you have any strong preference for baby sticking with these times
-whether, if she has any minor concerns while you're gone, to err on the side of contacting you or err on the side of muddling through without contacting you
-any complementary foods/solids allowed/not allowed
-techniques (eg Baby Led Solids) for complementary foods
-timing of complementary foods
-how to safely share a sleeping surface, if that's a way of settling that Grandma is experienced with and you would be comfortable with. Info here http://cosleeping.nd.edu/safe-co-sleeping-guidelines/

I think there were some others I thought of, so I'll come back later if I remember some more.

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 am

The biggest things for us at that age would have been:
- safe sleeping (my mum took a long time to get used to the no hats rule!)
- feeding (heating the EBM safely, what other foods if any are allowed)
- when to call mum

Everything else is probably not going to cause safety or other long term problems. But then it depends how sensible the GPs are. Have you seen anything that worries you while you have been with them and your LO?

I have always told my mum to just work it out so that it works for her - if I didn't trust her I wouldn't be leaving the kids with her. She does some things I wouldn't do, and there was the hat thing, but in the grand scheme of things I think the kids get better care from someone who is confident and empowered to make her own decisions, rather than second-guessing herself every minute. Mine are older and it is easier now, but I believe we set the ground work when Oobiwoo was younger.

Have fun at the concert!
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

bubbychoochoo

Post by bubbychoochoo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:32 am

Thankyou strolltotheshops, I always forget to check the ABA resources!
Have you seen anything that worries you while you have been with them and your LO?
Not really Mummy woo!, just that Grandad can't stand when babies cry & gets a bit stressed, & Grandma shooshes DD really loudly if DD gets whingey. We are working on that lol.

Thanks for your replies xx

Esther

Post by Esther » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 am

Maybe a longer list of do's than don'ts?

Good luck, have fun!
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Post by Mummy woo! » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:10 am

bubbychoochoo wrote:Thankyou strolltotheshops, I always forget to check the ABA resources!
Have you seen anything that worries you while you have been with them and your LO?
Not really Mummy woo!, just that Grandad can't stand when babies cry & gets a bit stressed, & Grandma shooshes DD really loudly if DD gets whingey. We are working on that lol.

Thanks for your replies xx
My parents are exactly the same! My Dad can't cope with any 'normal' baby/toddler/kid behaviour and my mum overcompensates.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either

strolltotheshops

Post by strolltotheshops » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 pm

How did it go, bubbychoochoo?

bubbychoochoo

Post by bubbychoochoo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:42 pm

Amazingly well considering DD's 1st tooth pushed through that night! She went down without any trouble grandma said. The only odd thing was, gma said she had to change DD's nappy cos she did a poo. I said ok how was it, solid or runny? Gma said oh I don't know, I didnt look, I just hosed her off in the laundry tub! Lol!