How long can a 10 month old go without milk?

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

How long can a 10 month old go without milk?

Postby Lissa23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm returning to work in a month for 3 days a week and DD will be 10 months old then. She will be looked after by DH and I will be away from her for about 9 1/2 hours. She used to drink EBM from a bottle, but has been refusing for several months now. I know she is fine for about 5 hours with just food and water. She is a really good eater with her food now and has recently learnt to drink water with a straw cup and will drink a lot.

She still has 3 to 4 big breastfeeds a day and lots at night. Will she be ok if she doesn't have milk for the longer stretch while I am at work? Or should I try getting her to drink EBM in her straw cup? Also, will my supply start to diminish if I'm not expressing while I am at work? I don't want to wean her anytime soon, but I don't know if I'm going to be able handle trying to fit in expressing on my break as I only get 30 min at lunch.

If anyone knows about this, I'd really appreciate it!
Lissa23

Postby Esther » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Well, just for starters, how would you feel if she slept 8 hours without a feed?

But also hugs, because I know it's stressful and I'm about to go through it all with DD2 soon as well. And I'd like a crystal ball. Stat. :shock:
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Postby snowie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
My experience of 1 child: DD was 11 months old when I returned to work. She was feeding frequently and eating very little - I was very worried. I was away from her for 5 to 8.5 hours four days a week. I had decided not to express. DD coped, she ate a little more than when she was with me, had a bit of water to drink and basically waited until I collected her from childcare. She would have a huge feed when I arrived at the childcare centre, and then another shortly after arriving home. She would also feed over night - but this was normal for her anyway.
My supply adjusted fairly well, for the first few weeks, on my days at work I'd feel full when I was ready to leave to collect DD, not engorged just ready to feed kind of full. On my days off she would still feed every 2 or so hours. My returning to work did not affect our BF relationship. She relied on BM as her main source of nourishment until she was close to 2 when she started eating a little more. And now she is close to 4 she still has at least one feed in 24 hours, usually to go to bed.
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins
snowie

Postby Esther » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush before and didn't mean to sound flippant.

But babies can go for longer if mum's not around (as you already know) and will often reverse cycle on the days you are away - have more feeds when you're around (night time too) and eat more solids and drink more water when you're not around.

I'm considering EBM ice blocks. Someone here suggested putting ice cubes of ebm in a mesh feeder.
Esther
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4
Esther

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.