american leave

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

american leave

Postby jamber80 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:58 am

American mamma here, American leave time is horrible. 6wks and your back at it. I was lucky this time and got 8wks off. :?

baby #1 loved his bottle, did great for my MIL. Baby #2 hates it!!! She just cries and cries until she's just exausted and 8hrs later takes it. She makes up for it and breastfeeds all evening. So i know she's getting her calories. (and thank God, i only work 3 days a week).

but...she's wearing out my MIL :( it's so hard to care for a screaming baby. I love my job---and need to be working. (no my schedule isn't flexible, and i work a half hr drive from her) but i need to figure out something...

any suggestions????
jamber80

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 am

With such a tiny baby it's pretty hard to make the switch...

I'd imagine the baby is also getting very overtired...

One thought would be to try spoon feeding, syringe feeding or cup feeding the baby, and try giving lots of small amounts of milk rather than leaving the baby to get very hungry and overtired...

How old is your baby now ? How many hours are you away from the baby ?
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi jamber

My only other suggestions were could your mum bring her to you once a day (I know it is a lot of driving).

And maybe your mum could try some skin to skin contact with bubs to help soothe her while feeding?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby fellare » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:58 pm

has she tried different hold, and different bottles?

hubs couldn't feed S from a bottle initially unless he was walking around while feeding.

Now they come up for lunch, we have lunch together and it's rather nice. It takes about 20min to get to me. It's only a 3min drive, but then the parking and walking take forever :roll:
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

american leave

Postby jamber80 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:44 am

@nedsmum, she is 11wks now and it's for 9 1/2hrs :( . I completely agree that she's overtired. Which doesn't help at all.

@mummywoo!, my MIL would not bring her to me. She's very old schoo and thinks the baby will do fine without mamma. Therefore skin to skin is also very out of the question.

@mrsfrog, we are in the process of trying different bottles. I also read in the La Leche League's womanly art of breastfeeding that some babies need mamma to teach them how to take the bottle. I have this next week off and plan on practicing with her. Breaks my heart to see her so unpeaceful. She had a great day last friday, took 3 bottles without any effort. Gave me hope that she will get it.
jamber80

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.