Bottle refusal

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Bottle refusal

Postby nat_b » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 am

I'm returning to work in 3 weeks & am a little concerned. My 6mth old DD used to drink expressed BM & ABM from bottles occasionally for the 1st few months of her life, however about 2mths ago my pump broke, so she hasnt had bottles for awhile. And now, she refuses to drink either expressed BM or ABM from them - the other night, my parents babysat her & she refused, crying for an hour, despite being very hungry :(

We've tried giving it to her via. open cup (refuses), straw (tries but cannot manage) & sippy cup (gets a little, but not much), with minimal success.
I dont know what I'm going to do..I'm going to be working 2 days/ week 45min away from home, so theres no chance of me being able to return to breastfeed her.

Any hints/ tips???
DD Nov 2011

Postby Skeeta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:38 am

Would she take a bottle from you when she's really hungry, first thing in the morning? Or maybe evening when she's sleepy? I guess you'll have to keep trying at least once a day til you return to work? A slow-flowing teat with a wide round edge worked well for us (DS2 started with EBM and is now on the breast yay). PM me if you'd like the brand.

Postby veganmama » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am

I had the same issue months back. I heated a clean knife and sliced a small portion off the end of the bottle nipple. This meant the milk could flow easily without having to suck and it didnt spill everywhere like cup feeding. I imagine this could be a choking risk if you didnt ensure that you stopped pouring when baby needs to swallow. After getting used to this, we reintroduced a normal nipple after about the fifth bottle and he took it. I think he needed to learn what the bottle was for.

Postby Loli&Lulu » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:58 am

Can whoever is caring for her bring her in to you on your lunch break? Has she started some solids yet?

I went back go work when DD was 7 months old. She wouldn't take a bottle no matter what we tried. My DH would do a lunchtime "booby run" and then we would have lunch together which was really nice.

He would give her solids mid morning and mid afternoon (you can mix some EBM in).

The only other way to get milk into her was one spoonful at a time which was a slow process but would help tide her over - my mum was really good at it.

Not long after that (about 8 months) she got really efficient at drinking from a straw sippy cup - she preferred a super flexi and quite soft feeling silicon straw - but by then we had the routine well worked out so didn't bother with EBM in a straw bottle.

A counsellor I spoke to made the good point that quite a lot of babies go for a long stretch overnight without a feed and are perfectly ok and that my baby may decide to feed more overnight to make up for it - which did happen initially but settled down again after a while.

I wouldn't worry too much that she wouldn't take the bottle when your parents babysat - you can develop a new routine that works for you when you return to work which is quite different from a one off.

Big hugs to you, it's hard being away from them initially when you go back to work.
DD#1 May 2010 - BF to 19 months
DD#2 August 2012 - super cute cheeky booby toddler - storked by AndyPandy. :-)
Proudly co-storked AndyPandy's DS#2.

Postby Esther » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:04 am

You may find that when you're not around, she will take more EBM from someone else. Or as Loli said, your DD may take more solids and water and be really, really glad to see you at pick up time!

Good luck.
DD1 05, DS 08, BB 11, DD2 12
Storked by nat*4
Storked Ellie's Mum, foggylog, jessiemay, Ducks & nat*4

Postby fellare » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:15 am

seconding what Esther said, bub eats better from the bottle when I'm away. He'll still clusterfeed afterwards, though.

he also started copying my drinking from a cup and likes to be just like the grownups.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)

Postby nat_b » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.

No she wont take a bottle from me at any time & unfortunately it wont be possible for her carer to bring her to me at lunchtime - that sounds like it was lovely tho! She started BLS a few weeks ago & I'm offering solids 3xday - she's very interested & eats bits & pieces, but not a huge amount.

Okay I think I might keep trying different sippy cups, bottle with cut-off teat etc, at least daily. Hopefully I'll have some luck before I start work!
DD Nov 2011

Postby mone » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:09 pm

persevere with the straw i reckon its the easiest for her to manage... i got J on a straw by filling a straw up then holding it full and putting it in his mouth initially letting it run in then making him suck a bit before i let the fluid in once he was sucking most of the time i left the straw in the cup and let him work it out only took a couple of goes :)
ta mone

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.