Sometimes it is so hard

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Sometimes it is so hard

Postby AshersMum » Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 pm

I returned to work 4 days last week, and I am away from DD (almost 10 mths) from 8 till 6ish on those days.

Most days I am really happy (and proud) with my decision to express and continue feeding her, but some days it is really hard.

Today it sucked! :(

Hubby dropped one whole feed on the foor, and then when I got home tonight and I opened my little cooler bag I realised my container leaked and I lost everything. :cry: That was two whole feeds!

I am really boarder line about being about to keep up with with the volumes I need, so this is a real set back.

I know in the end I am doing the best thing, but it is not easy!
AshersMum

Postby Loli&Lulu » Wed May 09, 2012 9:28 am

Huge hugs to you! What a big disappointment!

I can sympathize as after I returned to work I was pumping for my DD but she was just refusing to take it and it was getting thrown away every day.

It did work out in the long run but I can sympathize about the bad days.
DD#1 May 2010 - BF to 19 months
DD#2 August 2012 - super cute cheeky booby toddler - storked by AndyPandy. :-)
Proudly co-storked AndyPandy's DS#2.
Loli&Lulu

Postby JC » Wed May 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Oh no! It's always a little sad to see EBM spilled.
DS born July 2006; continued until 5
DD born November 2009; until 4
JC

Postby HandC » Mon May 21, 2012 8:27 pm

I think crying over spilt milk is allowed when it's been expressed :( You're doing a great job!
H - 09 2008
C - 10 2011
HandC

Postby Okmum » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:55 am

EBM is like GOLD I think!!!
You are doing a fantastic job! I am a woeful expresser so DD has never taken to taking it from a bottle - so I am holding off returning to work as long as I can.
Keep up the good work and hopefully those bad days are few and far between :-)
Lucky Mum of two!
Okmum

Postby Penguin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 am

Whoever said 'don't cry over spilled milk' wasn't a breastmilk pumping mother. I too have lost milk leaked in the cooler bag, it's heart wrenching.

Pumping at workcan be easy for some mothers, and really hard for others. Even if the pumping milk bit is easy for someone, the fussing about the night before ashing the pump pats, putting the ice bricks in the freezer, measuring out bottles, etc is a pain, plus of course the finding time and space to pump at work etc.

Things which helped me to stay motivated -
- I didn't want to wean totally just because of the time I was at work. I saw pumping at work more about maintaining our bfing at home.
- I'm a pretty good expresser but due the inflexible nature of my job I couldn't pump as often or as long as I should have. There were times when I didn't pump enough and DD had to have some formula. It wasn't great but at least she was getting BM the majority of the time. Don't forget that after 6 months forumla can be considered just another solid.

Good luck!
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Some good suggestions here.

At 10 months you are already nearly at the point where you don't need to express 'feeds' and can shift to expressing for your own comfort and giving bubs some of the EBM since you might as well. For me that was a lot different to trying to 'feed' a less than 12 months old baby.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.