New Family Daycare

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
MJ

New Family Daycare

Post by MJ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Reassurance please.......our daycare debate continues....

I had my DD (8 months old) going to a local daycare centre, and one day both the regular staff in the room were sick. I had an absolutely terrible gut feeling that things weren't right so 2.5 hours after drop off I dropped in unannounced to find my child crying on the floor being ignored by two staff, hadn't been fed, hadn't had morning tea, and when I got home, to my horror had someone else's nappy on, complete with their name, which to me indicated that the staff didn't identify the children correctly.

So, fast forward two weeks and we have started in family day care today. Unfortunately she has only had 40 minutes sleep - all day! Only 2 feeds and not much solids at all. She was very happy and relaxed when I picked her up though, which was fantastic. I think that having older kids playing with her all day (4-5 year old/s absolutely fascinated by babies!) has distracted her from her food, and masked the tired signs big time. She has not appeared overtired to me and has fallen asleep easily this afternoon (we will now be late to bed but I'm not worried). Do you think it will take awhile for things to settle? and Missy Moo seemed to have 2 large feeds today (and a big one when we came home), whereas she might just be having small feeds from me? Any thoughts?

Loli&Lulu

Post by Loli&Lulu » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm

I definitely think there is settling in time when it comes to sleep and food. I know we have found this and so have my friends. Hopefully she will settle down after a little while, my DD has. At the moment she is actually sleeping better at daycare than at home it seems! Longer anyhow.
DD#1 May 2010 - BF to 19 months
DD#2 August 2012 - super cute cheeky booby toddler - storked by AndyPandy. :-)
Proudly co-storked AndyPandy's DS#2.

Ronale
Counsellor

Post by Ronale » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:44 pm

hugs, sending your children off to be looked after by others is really hard. And your confidence and trust has been completely destroyed by what sounds like a terrible situation.
As far as my experience goes, DS has never slept well at childcare - always too many things to see and do to want to take time out to sleep. A few months ago they were able to get him to sleep for between 30 mins to an hour, but that's finished now. When he first started he would also hold out, as he was around 9 months, it wasn't all day like it is now, but he would have only 1 40 minute nap for 3 days, then a 1 hour nap for the 4th day. But it would change from time to time, and he only ever slept in the prams.
But he was reasonably happy to go (unless he was unwell or teething), he clearly loved the time he spent there, was normally relaxed and happy to see me in the afternoons and was sometimes so immersed in what he was playing with he would miss me coming in until someone tapped him on the shoulder. I have always felt that he was underfed, but perhaps as you mention he is just distracted (he is a very distracted feeder at home) but I worked around that by always having something for him to eat on the drive home (or a feed at the centre in the early days).
I hope that is a little reassuring - it does take a little while to settle in, for both mum and bub!
Good luck for the next few weeks!

Mummy79

Re: New Family Daycare

Post by Mummy79 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:15 pm

MJ wrote:Reassurance please.......our daycare debate continues....

I had my DD (8 months old) going to a local daycare centre, and one day both the regular staff in the room were sick. I had an absolutely terrible gut feeling that things weren't right so 2.5 hours after drop off I dropped in unannounced to find my child crying on the floor being ignored by two staff, hadn't been fed, hadn't had morning tea, and when I got home, to my horror had someone else's nappy on, complete with their name, which to me indicated that the staff didn't identify the children correctly.
Oh that is awful. A similar thing happened to my DD at the first centre she went too, when it happened three more times I removed her from that centre.

I hope things have gotten better for you.

Xx