Getting used to childcare

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
aelfgiua

Getting used to childcare

Post by aelfgiua » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:35 pm

DD has had 2 days orientation ad today she had a half day. She waves me off happily but soon after gets upset and more or less stays upset until I return, they say she is up ad down but she has been quite upset when I have retuned each time, even before she sees me. She is fine when I take her home and her usual self the rest of the time.

Is there anything I can do to help her adjust to childcare and how long did your LO take to adjust.
Mum to 2 wonderful girls

08/07 and 11/10

milaha

Post by milaha » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 pm

That sounds a lot like my DD - she was upset for nearly the whole day the first couple of weeks after she started childcare.

After two weeks, she formed a bond with one of the carer's and started to be happy for parts of the day. By one month she loved it! Would ask if she could go there on her days off!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things - starting with shorter days is great.

I always say goodbye and explain that I'll be back to pick them up later. Other things that can be helpful are sending a photo of you with her.
One thing my childcare centre suggested was making up a book for her with pictures of the day. For example, our book starts with a picture of DD in her childcare clothes with her packed bag, then she gets into the car, then there are pictures of her at care and pictures of the teachers.

She is no longer at that centre (she's at a C&K now) but she still loves her book!

Hope that helps - didn't mean to write an essay :oops:

aelfgiua

Post by aelfgiua » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Oh I love the book idea, I will get snapping and get some printed at the weekend. Thanks
Mum to 2 wonderful girls

08/07 and 11/10