Yikes, day care it is then

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Yikes, day care it is then

Postby aelfgiua » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:38 pm

My lovely nanny has resigned! She has been offered more hours at the 'proper - more pay, more prospects' job.

We have been thinking about day care recently as we would love 2 days together as a family at the weekends but because of the expense of a nanny one of us had to work one day at the weekend.

I went to visit a local one yesterday and liked the centre but not the room leader person.

I am going to see a city one tomorrow. I have until Easter to sort it out.

I am sure she will settle in eventually as she loves to play with other kids and is quite a miss independant but I am sad about loosing nanny and the prospect of her in childcare, can't bare to think about her feeling lost and sad and not being heard.

Please let me know how much your little ones love and thrive in day care (it's a centre, no FDC in my area). Or any tips on settling her in.
Mum to 2 wonderful girls

08/07 and 11/10
aelfgiua

Re: Yikes, day care it is then

Postby Countrymum » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm

aelfgiua wrote:Please let me know how much your little ones love and thrive in day care (it's a centre, no FDC in my area). Or any tips on settling her in.

DD1 is the poster girl for childcare. she's at home at the moment because we couldn't afford to keep sending her while I'm at home full time but once we get some spare cash we'll spend her back one day a week just for the fun of it because she loves it.

She loves the kids, the careers (they make her feel so special, they are warm and caring and fun), I take her to playgroup etc but the child she gets long best with is at childcare (so I feel like I've taken her way from her best friend :() in general she got along with the kids there better because she saw them more often (she used to go three days when I was working).

She loves the activities (even though we do lots at home too), she loves the toys and the sandpit (we don't have a sandpit at home I figured that can be a special childcare thing, we have heaps of toys but y'know it's always nice somewhere else).

DD1 seems to thrive in a group - she eats whatever the others eat (even though she can be fussy at home), and sleeps whenever they sleep with no fuss (no dummy or bottle). I suspect that she'll have no trouble using the toilet at childcare even though at home she's inconsistent!

Just be warned that doesn't mean she didn't have her off days or dislike saying goodbye in the morning but she was almost always a very happy camper coming home (we used to pick her up at 4 but changed to 5 because she hated missing out on the last hour of group time when she got to hang out with the over 2s).

In terms of getting stared we visited for an hour a day for a week before DD1 started so she got to know the careers. And don't panic if she is a little upset a first it's a transition like any other.

Countrymum
2 bubbly beautiful girls - DD1 (5 in Nov), DD2 (will be 3 at the end of July).
DD1 breastfeed for 14 months, DD2 breastfeed for 34.5 months.
Countrymum

Postby serialgirl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:48 pm

We just checked out a centre today, just got an awesome feel about it. I just put our name down for one day a week. Wish us luck :wink:

DD1 went 3 days at 18 months, loved it, i loved it, she still talks about it and shes in yr 2 :D
Bye Bye Forum.. its been fun :)
serialgirl

Postby EmmaG » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:08 pm

My DD loves it... I was so heartbroken at having to leave her there when I went back to work but she settled in beautifully.
Except for a few violent episodes towards other kids ( :oops: pushing, biting) she is great, and the usual report is that she's had a fantastic day. They are moving her up to the next room as they are 'unable to challenge her enough' so I don't think it's causing her any problems being there. We are actually going to pull her out one of those days as I'm not working atm but are waiting unti she is settled in her new room.
We chose a locally owned, independent centre and they have followed all our wishes with her beautifully. They were a little surprised when we sent EBM rather than ABM and MCN instead of disposables but all has gone really well and her carers are lovely. (she has been there since 10 months)
DD1 10/07
DS 09/09 (weaned April 2012)
DD2 Storked by the wonderful FiTB and mummyb
EmmaG
Trainee

Postby Countrymum » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:42 pm

gegsmum wrote: They were a little surprised when we sent EBM rather than ABM and MCN instead of disposables but all has gone really well and her carers are lovely. (she has been there since 10 months)

Ours actually encourages Mums to come to the centre to feed, I think that's so cool :-) I just wish I had been able to when I went back to work after having DD1 but I didn't have enough free time in my schedule to get down there and feed. This time I think I'm waiting until DD2 either doesn't want feeds during the day or only go back on days when I can get away to feed (although at this stage I think there is only one day a fortnight that would be possible, hardly seems worth it!)

Countrymum
2 bubbly beautiful girls - DD1 (5 in Nov), DD2 (will be 3 at the end of July).
DD1 breastfeed for 14 months, DD2 breastfeed for 34.5 months.
Countrymum

Postby fourth&final » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:44 pm

Our "pre-school" is a 2-6 year olds centre that runs from 8am-4pm. It is privately owned and there is only a maximum of 25 or 27 (?) children allowed on any given day and 3 teachers. The numbers for the days my children attend aren't over 20.

The children are all in one room together and are split into age appropriate groups for some of the day.

I find with the small centre my children don't get "lost" and are treated with a lot of respect and kindness from the teachers. It's not unheard of for the teachers to have 2 or 3 children hanging off them at one time if they need reassurance.

If you are feeling concerned about starting her, perhaps investigating a smaller centre might be a good start.
DS1 - 2004, DD - 2006, DS2 - 2007, DS3 - 2010
fourth&final

Postby citymamma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 pm

I am going to see a city one tomorrow. I have until Easter to sort it out.

If you are looking at city based ones I recommend you check out the one at the Harbour Family and Children's Centre in Docklands.

Also there is a new one that just opened in Collins Street, Docklands that has the name of a flightless bird. It should have vacancies.
DD (Nov 06) BF 14 months
DS (Dec 08 ) BF 20 months
citymamma

Postby Elby » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:17 pm

My Dd1 has been in day since 5 months of age. She started out at 1 day a week, now does 2. She absolutely LOVES it! They do things there that we dont do at home (either through lack of time or inspiration on my part :oops: ) and she also goes with one of her friends and one of her cousins.

Without fail, she will ask several times during the week if she can go to childcare, lol. She sometimes gets upset when I leave her, but she also sometimes gets upset when I leave her with my mum, who she adores, or when DH is looking after her.

At various times I have called the centre several times a day to check up on her and the staff are always fabulous, and put my mind at ease.

My centre is also very pro BFing, the leader in the baby room was a gem. I used to go in at lunch time to feed and sometimes later in the afternoons, I was never made to feel anything but normal & comfortable.

I believe it has helped make E the social, confident child she is today (of course I have ltos to do with that too! hehe)
Mumma to Miss E (5) and Little Miss R (3)

the forumite formerly known as Jac G
Elby

Postby Nedsmum » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 pm

My #3 goes to long-day care three days a week - and today Daddy took him - he's getting his socks, jacket and boots, and walking out the door saying 'bye, bye'....

yep, definitely no issues about going to childcare :wink:

For us, even though having a nanny or babysitter would be cheaper, the structure and routines of child-care - hours, predictability and 'team' that he sees...is definitely worth the price...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby aelfgiua » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks for all your kind words and reassurance.

I saw a local one on Monday and didn't like the girl in the 2-3yo room at all, she even seemed quite aggressive, she pulled 2 kids apart when they were havng problems sharing a crayon and spoke very bluntly, often in sentanaces ending in darling (umm that doesn't make what you said any nicer).

The city one I went to today was lovely and my friend has her 5 month old there and she recommended it. citymamma I don't think it is any of the ones you recommended. But it is quite new and a purpose built centre, they have a really good set up and great roof top play park that the kids go out to play sometimes. The carers were nice and having a joke with each other, so obviously comfortable and have a sense of humor. The kids were all asleep when we went at 2 and they were all on little camp beds in a row, one of them stirred and there was a carer there rubbing her on the back to reassure her and get her back to sleep.

We are going to start orientation next week and have held Mon and Tuesdays.
Mum to 2 wonderful girls

08/07 and 11/10
aelfgiua

Re: Yikes, day care it is then

Postby mimma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 pm

aelfgiua wrote:My lovely nanny has resigned! She has been offered more hours at the 'proper - more pay, more prospects' job.

oh poo bum! And this has happened to me too! My new wonderful nanny ended up owing centrelink some money and had to work more and got another job that pays more... :roll:

It's so hard to find good help these days isnt it???? (I sound like a tosser saying that...)

I can't be of too much help otherwise as we have DD in a FDC one day a week ATM, hopefully moving to 2. But once you find a centre you are happy with (glad to hear the second one sounded better) I think you will be surprised how resilient kids are and how much she will end up loving it.

:smt049 Django has arrived! :smt049
mimma

Postby dellywatts » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:07 pm

My DD loves daycare and DS is getting more and more used to it, he still cries when i leave but he is okay 2 mins later.
Anyway my 2 go two days a week while i am at uni and between days DD asks when she will get to go and see L (the room leader).
There is a website that you can go to that has tips for choosing quality childcare centres. pm me if you want the website.
DD1 ~ 9/2007
DS ~ 2/2009 bf for just over 4 yrs
DD2 ~ 3/2011 bf for nearly 2 yrs
DD3 ~ 12/2013 bfing
dellywatts
Counsellor

Postby Two's enough » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 pm

DS1 loves his, a community centre nfp and very nice and now goes 2 days a week which has helped him open up.

DS2 has just started as well, 1 day a week and was 'limpet-boy' when I first picked him up but within a month has settled in and has a great time. Still protests when I leave but is happy and relaxed when I arrive to get him :)

Two's enough

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.