Going back full time

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Going back full time

Postby geek anachronism » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Come mid-May I'm starting back at work full time - The Child will be 11 months and staying home with The Marital Unit. I've just started expressing to start a freezer stash but I'm wondering what the best way to give her the EBM is going to be. She doesn't mind a sippy cup, either the stiff type or the rubbery one and happy enough to drink out of a usual bottle or cup with larger amounts of dribbling. I'm not keen to reintroduce baby bottles - been there, done that and I figure she's a little old for it. She's got a great appetite for solids so we're not too worried about food.

We've got a dry run coming up in a week and a half when I'll be out for the day. I'm really quite nervous about the EBM situation - I should be fine for it but I just have this fear that she won't have enough. I'm expressing once a day at the moment (after she's gone to bed) and getting between 80-100 ml.

Minor complication being that we haven't introduced dairy yet as both of us had lactose intolerances as infants. Any tips? What sort of cups, how much I should be aiming to express?

I can do this, right?
Married to The Marital Unit, birthed The Child 10 June 2009.
geek anachronism

Postby veganmummy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 am

I'm sure it's do-able! Maybe ring or email a counsellor i'm sure they'll be able to help.

And I'll bump you up so someone else can add something far more helpful :D
Vee storked ME! Babygirl Magoo is HERE!
veganmummy

Postby DellaWellaWoman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:14 am

Of course you can do it :)

80+mL - I'm seriously impressed!!! I got a whole 20mL yesterday!!!

I'd just use whatever she drinks water from - as you said they don't need bottles.

If you need a backup plan for peace of mind there's a few alternatives you could consider, but if you're stashing 80+mL a day now it sounds like you'll have quite a bit in the freezer by the time you go back!

I went back when DD1 was 11-ish months and she usually preferred to wait for me - she'd drink the bare minimum to get by (along with solids) at daycare, and then made up for it overnight ](*,)
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious
DellaWellaWoman

Postby Feebes » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:21 am

No advice, but I seriously admire all Mum's that go back to work when their little ones are little!

Good luck

Feebes
DD 02
DS 05
DD2 2010
Feebes

Postby geek anachronism » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks everyone! I chatted to the counsellor at the ABA play in the park today and she recommended trying straws as well - I hadn't even thought of that so I'll see what The Child thinks later on tonight. She put me at ease about the amounts too (isn't it crazy how we always assume it's a small amount!) - I figure The Child will probably be like your DD Della! I've decided to head out for a few hours this weekend to give The Marital Unit a bit of a try at the whole thing (and give myself time to have a coffee in peace and quiet and READ!!).

Thanks for the support!
geek anachronism

Postby Em's mum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 pm

When I started back at work 2 days a week, dd was 10mths old. She was in childcare and it took a couple of weeks before she was comfortable enough to drink ebm for them. My theory was as long as she drank water and had solids, I was happy. As pp said, she did catch up for the missed milk throughout the night. We started off with a sippy cup as she could drink water fine with it. After a couple of weeks she was drinking ebm fine as well. Now, 3 mths in, she drinks 200mls once a day - I just make sure to have milk frozen in smaller amounts (around 50-100mls) so there isn't as much wastage.

I would love to be able to express 80-100ml consistently! All I am able to do is 50-60mls a day.
A friend did have trouble working full time and expressing as she just couldn't keep up and was having trouble expressing more than once a day at work. However, she also didn't have a stock pile prior to starting back at work, so was kinda behind the 8 ball to begin with.

Good luck with it all. I hope it all goes fine for you! I also hope you enjoy being back at work (the paycheck is nice :D )

Em's mum

Postby EmmaG » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:28 pm

I went back 3 days when my DD was 10.5 months old. I struggled to express enough for the 2 bottles she was having at daycare (2x150mL) and she flatly refused to drink EBM from anything but a bottle so I actually stopped expressing for her once she turned one and just fed her when we were together.
DD1 10/07
DS 09/09 (weaned April 2012)
DD2 Storked by the wonderful FiTB and mummyb
EmmaG
Trainee

Postby mum2zoe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:29 am

I have gone back to work 4 days/week, almost full time in my books.

DD2 was 7.5 months and refused a bottle. She is now 10 months and going just fine.

I was sucessful with straw cups, just the cheap variety with no valves in them. I send the EBM in a bottle and the carers pour the milk into a straw cup for each feed so they don't waste it. I send quite a few cups along. I think she likes the straw cup because she can drink it sitting upright (not the breasfeeding position) and manage the flow and quantity herself.

DD2 is away from me for about 11 hours/day and I'm lucky if she drinks 150 - 200 mls. She also has solids plus water.

I manage to express about 200mls a day while I'm at work and DD2 is given that the next day.

You'll be just fine!
DD1 - 01/11/2006
DD2 - 18/05/2009
mum2zoe

Postby geek anachronism » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:41 am

Well, today I go back for a training/planning day. All day. ARGH! I've expressed, we've got oodles of food, I can come back if needs be and I made The Marital Unit take part of the night settling (0200 is NOT playtime).

SO NERVOUS.
geek anachronism

Postby JC » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 pm

I'll get in early and ask: how was it?
DS born July 2006; continued until 5
DD born November 2009; until 4
JC

Postby momi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:18 pm

how did you go?
momi

Postby geek anachronism » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:45 pm

It was FANTASTIC! It was actually a great way to trial - we were doing a planning day and it was all a little touchy-feely but it was a really positive session with some great strategies for working as a team and all that jazz. It was awesome to see my coworkers as well since I don't get in to see them as much as I'd like.

Pumping in the car sucked a bit (so hot and muggy today) esp. when I walked back in with my pump in a big biscuit jar and someone asked excitedly what I had in there (I bake a fair bit). Then she didn't hear my reply so I had to say 'breast pump' even louder. I really need to make sure I take my breaks properly though - I missed the afternoon one and it was a little painful til I got home. Only to find The Child still asleep because she took ages to go down for her nap. She had a good day with The Marital Unit though - only drank about 140ml of milk through the day though. She wasn't impressed with the milk in the cup.

I'm so annoyed though - when The Marital Unit gets home he gets massive smiles and laughs. I got pouts and crying! Then barracuda-baby.
geek anachronism

Postby momi » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 pm

that's great!

LOL at your colleague expecting biscuits in your biscuit jar :lol:
momi

Postby Two's enough » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 pm

I work 2 days and soon to be 3. I express but not enough. DS2 drinks out of a basic sippy cup and also took to a straw really easily (never mastered the bottle). I had a stash when I went back so supplied his needs to 12 months but am no longer keeping up so we supplement ebm with water and cow's milk (not having to worry about intolerances helps) :-)

Two's enough

Postby Sam21 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:36 am

I only work 3 days but I find just feeding before and after work and overnight works really well. It means no hassles expressing at work and DS is happy enough with his solids and water. I went back when he was 12 months and he is now 14 months. My DS would never take much out of a cup so I really couldn't see the point of going to all the trouble! I feed him more frequently on the days I am home (usually before sleeps). I got quite engorged the first couple of days back at work but it was amazing how quickly my supply adjusted and equally amazing how it handles the switch now between work and non-work days!
Sam21

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.