Feeding changes whilst at daycare

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Feeding changes whilst at daycare

Postby coppertones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am

I've survived my first two days back at work with DS (11 months) going to daycare. He's loving it! The first day he was there for 11 hours, the next day for 10 hours - long days but it doesn't seem to phase him. This makes it a lot easier for me and im now finding that im actually enjoying being back at work - I was dreading it.

I will be working 2 days a week - 12 hours a day. DP has been dropping off and picking DS up. Some days will be shorter, others will be longer as DP has his own business and therefore more flexibility with starting and finishing times.

Prior to returning to work I've been feeding DS about 2 to 4 feeds through the day, one at night before bed, one wake up feed during the night and a morning feed.

Over the last couple of days while I've been working he hasn't had the feeds during the day - he doesn't appear to have missed them either. He's drinking water, eating heaps when it comes to solids so im happy he is getting what he needs. He has had his night feed and during the night feed - the first day he had his morning feed, the next day he didn't.

Now im on days off again and i've just gone back to feeding him during the day like I was before.

I haven't had to express at work although I was ready to do this if need be.

My question is - should I keep going like im doing or should I stop the day time feeds to keep him in a routine for the days he is in care?

This is all really new to me so any advice would be welcome!
Samuel Charley 16/02/09 A WHO baby now and still going (Im trying to wean now - i've had enough)
3 step daughters
S 19 years
J 14 years
E 12 years
coppertones

Postby DellaWellaWoman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:25 am

I went back to work full time (5 days), and fed on demand on the weekends - and DD was fine with it :)

Whatever works I say :)
DD1 breastfed 6 years, 7 months
DD2 still going at 5 years :D
Honoured to have been storked by Capricious
DellaWellaWoman

Postby mum2zoe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:40 am

I've just returned to work 4 days/week. I'm expressing during work hours and feeding during the day on the other 3 days. I was wondering the same thing. So far so good and its been 3 weeks now.
DD1 - 01/11/2006
DD2 - 18/05/2009
mum2zoe

Postby Mummy woo! » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:56 am

DellaWellaWoman wrote:I went back to work full time (5 days), and fed on demand on the weekends - and DD was fine with it :)

Whatever works I say :)

Sama for us after I stopped pumping - no supply issues. :-D
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby coppertones » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 am

Awesome - thanks for the replies everyone - i'll just keep going at what comes natural then!
Samuel Charley 16/02/09 A WHO baby now and still going (Im trying to wean now - i've had enough)
3 step daughters
S 19 years
J 14 years
E 12 years
coppertones

Postby citymamma » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 pm

I've just returned to work too part time and am pretty much doing what you are doing too with my 14 month old.
DD (Nov 06) BF 14 months
DS (Dec 08 ) BF 20 months
citymamma

Postby snowie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:05 pm

I was just going to post this question!
I've been demand feeding on my days off (Fri-Sun). I haven't really worked out how many feeds DD has during the day - I think we have just finished feed #4 since waking at 5:30am this morning.
Never forgetting our angel babies
Storking chiggins
snowie

Postby Sam21 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:51 pm

yeah I do the same thing. I'm away from DS about 10 hrs 3 times a week. He doesn't seem to miss the feeds too much. When i'm at home I just feed him on demand. I do try and minimise the during the day feeds though as I am getting quite engorged at work.
Sam21

Postby Nedsmum » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:29 pm

I worked really long hours on a short work contract - up to a max 80 hour week :shock:

Had no problems catching up afterwards, and she continued to feed frequently for another year after that :wink:
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!
Nedsmum

Postby coppertones » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Im continuing to feed him on my days off during the day and am hoping that this will continue to happen for a while yet. Thanks again everyone for your replies. Its is good to hear from people that have gone through this and also from people that were about to ask the same question.
3 step daughters
S 19 years
J 14 years
E 12 years
coppertones

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.