Hen's weekend - what to do?!!

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
09Mummy

Hen's weekend - what to do?!!

Post by 09Mummy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:29 pm

My best friend is getting married in 2 months and for her hen's celebration is having a weekend away. But I'm breastfeeding my 9 month old!

I've never been apart from her for more than a few hours. She's never taken a bottle (she refused a couple of times and I didn't bother persisting as we'd rather be together all the time anyway!).

The hen's is from Friday night to Sunday arvo, a 2 hour drive away. I can't really take bubs to a hen's weekend with me but I'm really scared to leave her for 2 days!! (even though her Dad is REALLY good with her). I feel it's silly to start her on a bottle at 11 months when I thought she'd just go straight from breast to sipper cup when she chooses to wean. I'm scared that I'm not going to be able to get her on a bottle, and I'm scared that if she does that for 2 days she won't want to come back to the breast and I'm scared that my supply will dry up being away from her for 2 days! I find storing breastmilk really difficult due to high levels of lipase in my breastmilk and so I'm too scared that it wouldn't be useable so I think I might need to use formula?

I feel like my baby should be my priority but this weekend is one of the most important of my friend's life!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

:-(

Capricious
Trainee

Post by Capricious » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 pm

Is there any chance your partner can go with you to wherever you are staying? That way you can come and go whenever your LO needs you.

I have a friend who rings me or messages me every now and then to try to organise a weekend away for my 30th (I am now 31 :lol: ) and peppers the conversation with hints about how I should wean so I can 'have a proper holiday' without Smidge or DH. Yeah, like I want to hoilday with someone who thinks getting pissed and whining about our husband is more important than being with my family :roll:

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread, just wanted to say that I think a great weekend is something that will last, well for the weekend, but you have to do what feels right for you and your family.

Best of Luck :D

Edited to add: this reads husband but should say husbandS, we don't share one obviously :oops:

mummysairsair

Post by mummysairsair » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Does your LO take a sippy cup well? Would she drink enough to take all her feeds from it for the 2 days instead of having to introduce a bottle?
Patience.. It's what parents have when there are witnesses ;)

Squip

Post by Squip » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 am

Slightly different situation to yours but I took DD to a hen's night recently. Nobody batten an eyelid they were too interested in hen activities! I wouldn't be leaving her for 2 days if I had never been away for more than a few hours, could you just go for part of it to make an appearance, your friend will appreciate the effort.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :D
Squippy

aelfgiua

Post by aelfgiua » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:07 am

I think it is a great idea to just do part of it, but along way to drive 2 hours each way, can you take DH and DD with you and make it a hlaf family/ half hens day? Or as PP suggests have DH staying close by to pop in now and then and go back to over night? I know my DH wouldn't be to keen on just hanging around waiting for me to call though.
Mum to 2 wonderful girls

08/07 and 11/10

mrs_sb

Post by mrs_sb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:42 am

Perhaps your hubby feels like a weekend away too? He could get a room in the same hotel & that way you can feed as needed & then in between feeds he can be having fun with the LO...just a thought...
DD born 15 September 2008
"Matilda" due 18 August 2010

Grace

Post by Grace » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 pm

I agree with the PP's - take hubby (or grandma, or a sister, etc), breastfeed bubs, have a few drinkies with the gals only at night after the last feed, all good! :)
If anyone says anything you can just say you're hardly going to wean simply to have one weekend away. Breastfeeding is such a tiny part of your whole life, plenty of merry times ahead of you! :)
Me, DH & 3 beautiful kids! :)

vintage rose

Post by vintage rose » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Grace wrote:I agree with the PP's - take hubby (or grandma, or a sister, etc), breastfeed bubs, have a few drinkies with the gals only at night after the last feed, all good! :)
If anyone says anything you can just say you're hardly going to wean simply to have one weekend away. Breastfeeding is such a tiny part of your whole life, plenty of merry times ahead of you! :)
ITA!!

'No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted' ~ Aesop ~

ake19814

Post by ake19814 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:47 pm

just wondering what are the limitation on drinking while breastfeeding. obviously i wont be binge drinking as i have to get up to a baby in the morning. not good with a hangover. how much and when?

Grace

Post by Grace » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:15 pm

For an average sized woman, 1 standard drink = 2 hours until zero milk/alcohol levels.
The current recommendation is not to drink at all while breastfeeding - this is because most people don't realise the actual size of a standard drink (ie most wine glasses hold nearly 2 standard drinks.)
Me, DH & 3 beautiful kids! :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:31 pm

ake19814 wrote:how much and when?
This new brochure has a wealth of information - hopefully the answers to all your questions! http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/ ... hol_BF.pdf And if you find it valuable, you can bookmark it and refer to it as often as you need.
Carrie
Official Monkey Storker!
(I thought we were hoping for a giraffe?)