just a question?

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
aiden n keeleighs mum

just a question?

Post by aiden n keeleighs mum » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 am

im very new to expressing milk and storing it cos i did not breastfeed my son as he was not intrested in the boob and i wasnt producing enough milk anyhoo DD is a booby monster and i have no trouble with supply this time around, me and hubby are wanting to go out for a whole day in march and i dont know if i should start making bottles now and freeze them or if its too early? and when is the best time to express? i have made bottles for her a few weeks back wen me and hubby went out for tea and a movie but i struggled to make 100mls im not sure if it was cos of my period and the heat.

i made one with 100mls one with 75, one with 80 mls and 1 with 50mls and she only had about 150 mls the whole time we were out and slept through.

anyway just would like some tips on expressing bottles and trying to avoid the formula top up. but if it came to that is 3 months too young to introduce formula just for that night.

sorry to ramble but i really dont have a clue :smt102

ames

Post by ames » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi :)

It can be so hard trying to figure out how to plan for time away from bubs, can't it.

If you're only going to be away from bubs occassionally then I personally would probably express a little each day in the weeks leading up to it and freeze each bit. I often expressed some in the morning as I seemed to have extra then.

Its best to try and freeze in small amounts so that any milk which isn't used is not wasted/thrown out.

You could try freezing some in icecube trays and then transfering them to a zip-lock bag to label and date them. Then when you're away defrost 2-3 cubes, feed bubs and if she wants more then more can easily be defrosted.

Just remember that if you're away from bubs for a whole day that you will probably need to express during the day for your own comfort :)

Hope that helps :)
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!

Countrymum

Post by Countrymum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:48 am

I'd be expressing and freezing now so much more convenient than trying to do get enough fresh when the pressure is on. If you wish to use ABM that's your choice but keep in mind Bub might reject it - DD1 was offered formula a couple of times and wouldn't touch it. Also my GP says that when young babies if they're used to breastmilk they should only have half strength formula the first time they try it because their body isn't used to digesting it and it can give them tummy trouble.

Best wishes and enjoy your day away!
Countrymum
2 bubbly beautiful girls - DD1 (5 in Nov), DD2 (will be 3 at the end of July).
DD1 breastfeed for 14 months, DD2 breastfeed for 34.5 months.