Baby not drinking anything over 8 -10 hrs....

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
Kimberlee

Baby not drinking anything over 8 -10 hrs....

Post by Kimberlee » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:23 am

Hi, this is the first time I have posted so I just wanted to say hello and also have some questions.

I went back to work 2 days a week last week and my little girl went into a childcare centre up the road. She is 5 months old. I am still breastfeeding and I am able to express at work whenever i need to (they are really supportive at the moment).

Over the last few months I have been giving her one bottle of EBM each night so that she gets into the swing of taking a bottle when I had to return to work. I have been sending bottles of expressed breastmilk to the centre with her and whilst she takes the bottles fine for me, she won't drink any of the expressed milk for any of the carers and gets really worked up. She is just ok at taking a bottle (takes maybe 1/2 a bottle) for her nanna and generally for my husband although it can sometimes be an ordeal.

We live in the tropics and I am really worried about dehydration when she won't feed for them. I am at work for 10hr shifts. The other day after all day of not drinking I brainstormed for the next day and sent some formula to the centre with her for the next day. My reasoning being that maybe if she disassociated the milk from me she might be more likely to drink it. She refused the breastmilk bottles so they tried her on some formula....she drank only about 150mls all day. I also sent some rice cereal and they mixed it into a really runny mixture with breastmilk and she ate all that.

Has anyone been in this situation before and how can I get her to take more milk throughout the day? She is pretty content during the day and doesn't cry much which makes me think that she isn't uncomfortable with hunger pains but I am really worried about the dehydration side of things. She usually has a huge appetite and generally drinks from me until my breasts are empty which makes me think that she gets well over 800 - 1000mls a day normally.

Thanks,
Kim
Proud mummy to baby Indiana, born 15th August 2009...

Saffsmum
Site Admin

Post by Saffsmum » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Kimberlee and welcome to the Forum :smt006

It sounds like you have tried to prepare your DD for your return to work really well, but that things haven't gone as planned.

Kimberlee, have you thought about having the carers offer your DD her milk in a sippy cup or something similar? Many breastfed babies quite readily drink from a cup. It might help to dissassociate mum from feeding?

Also maybe some frozen ebm iceblocks to suck on?

Is it at all possible for your husband or nana to pop into the centre to give her a feed?

Hth
S
DD 11/05/03
DS 12/01/07

Kimberlee

Post by Kimberlee » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:59 am

Hi,

Its not possible for nanna or daddy to go to her during the day unfortunatly. Sometimes my husband can pick her up earlier than what I can which is a bonus.

Thanks for the sippy cup idea and frozen EBM cubes....I will try both of those and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again. Any other suggestions are very welcome.
Proud mummy to baby Indiana, born 15th August 2009...

s squirrel

Post by s squirrel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:20 pm

Some chemists or shops that sell pumps for expressing also have a feeding spoon thingie, sorry I can't remeber the name of it, but the "bowl" part of the spoon is larger than usual, an specificly made for feeding more liquid type of foods, so if you wanted to contiue with the rice cereal, you could make up a very milky/watery solution, ie much more EMB than you would usually have in the mix....
HTH
xoxo
If you can't fly, then run,
if you can't run, then walk,
if you can't walk, then crawl,
but whatever you do you have to keep moving
forward.... – MLK

anothermum

Post by anothermum » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Man - that's hard. I know some people 'feed' their LO's frozen EBM in those mesh bag thingys. Just a thought. :?

ames

Post by ames » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 pm

If your LO associates bottles with you then you could try seeing if one of the child care workers could place a top of yours over her shoulder while giving your DD the bottle - that way she could 'smell' something familiar while having her drink.

sounds like you're doing everything you can. Hope you work something out.

hugs
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!