Wont take a bottle, is a cup ok at 8 months

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
mum2zoe

Wont take a bottle, is a cup ok at 8 months

Post by mum2zoe » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:29 pm

DD2 will be in Child Care in 2 weeks time for 4 days a week. I have been trying to give her a bottle for a couple of months and she is not interested and ends up screaming. I have tried all the standard options of trying Dad when I'm not around etc. Nothing works she only wants boobs. She is at least taking solids pretty well now.

When I go to work I will feed her before I leave around 5am. I won't see her again till around 4pm. This will be almost 12 hours!!! She feeds around every 3 hours at the moment. I have been reading that at 8 months I shouldn't have to introduce a bottle, a cup should be fine. I am struggling with this concept mainly because I will be away for so long.

I will end up feeding her once in the morning, once when I collect her and once before bed. Three times, and I'm guessing overnight as well.

Has anyone else been in a similar position and how did your little one cope? Did they take the bottle in the end? Or did a cup suffice?
DD1 - 01/11/2006
DD2 - 18/05/2009

ames

Post by ames » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 pm

I was in a similar position with my DS - he was 7mths and I worked 3 days/week, away from him for 9hrs. He refused to take a bottle, only wanted it straight from the source. I was fortunate that my mother was the caregiver so she drove him to me once every day for a feed, other than that he had small amounts of water and solids during the day.

I have heard of some babies taking a soft spouted sippy cup quite well at 8mths, or one of those with a straw. My DD1 used to drink water out of a soft-spouted sippy cup from around that age, can't remember exactly.

all thebest with the return to work, hope it works out.
DD1 2005, DS 2007, DD2 2009, DD3 2011
Storked Ezekielsmummy's angel ~ Matthew Obadiah. Now Elisha Samuel has arrived!

Capricious
Trainee

Post by Capricious » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 pm

I would try the soft spout sippy cup or even better- a straw cup.

On behalf of Nedsmum, I would also like to add using a little plastic shot glass. I hope she doesn't mind :D

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 am

Don't mind at all - actually we use a glass one - they are usually very tough and if they are glass they wash really well in the dishwasher - I think glass is more hygienic than plastic... :wink:

The issue I had was with the carer, not the child - training the carer to use various techniques and not just assume that bottles were a better/best option- that was my challenge.

My MIL couldn't handle it if I didn't leave formula and bottles - even though none of my children ever used a bottle much at all - we ended up putting a couple of sachets and clean bottles/teats in her pantry - two year's later they were still there and past their used-by date...but it made MIL 'feel better'...
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!

mum2zoe

Post by mum2zoe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks for the support.

Unfortunately driving DD to work for a feed is not an option. That might be beyond the Child Care limits :) Wish it was an option though.

Since DD2 was 6 months I have been using a sippy cup with a soft straw and to my surprise she is quite good at it. Much better than the bottle. She doesn't drink much from it but gets something at least. So I think I will keep on that and hopefully won't have to introduce a bottle at all :D

I'll just send up bottles, cups and straw cups and let them figure out what is best at child care. She will probably be different when I'm not around.

Her first two weeks in child care I am at home so I can use those two weeks as a trial and error phase. Hopefully she will settle in ok.
DD1 - 01/11/2006
DD2 - 18/05/2009