baby wont drink EBM from a bottle

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

baby wont drink EBM from a bottle

Postby Matilda's Mum » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:23 pm

Baby is 5 and a half months old, and is exclusively breastfed. While I have expressed when she was a newborn (and have some breastmilk in the freezer), and recently expressed some more, I have never actually been away from baby for more than an hour (on 2 occasions only). I would like to get out more often and leave my baby with my partner, but this means he will potentially need to feed her my expressed milk from a bottle. I am worried about this (and a bit sad) for 2 reasons:
1) boobies fix everything. They are her source of comfort and we have such a great breastfeeding relationship. She never cries (i mean that) and she is just so content as long as boobies are around!
2) We tried her on a bottle the other day just to see what she would make of it- but she has NO idea on what a bottle is and just cant/wont suck.

What can i do from here? wait until she is REALLY hungry and then give her the bottle again to see if she will drink from it? How much do i persist with this?
I am hesitant about leaving her with anyone else, because as i said- she really never cries and is so content. I dont want me leaving her to be a source of anxiety for her, but at the same time, I cant be around her 100% of the time until she weans.
Mummy to Tilly, born July 2009, and Sophie, born Dec 2011
Matilda's Mum

Postby mariahswind » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm

Sorry I don't have any advice to give. But I know how you feel. DD was the same, wanted nothing to do with bottles or dummies.... I just took it as a sign of real intelligence....'that ain't the real thing mum!' We tried all sorts of different nipples including the ones that are supposed to be almost like the breast. But if memory serves me correctly I was able to leave her for up to 3 hrs at a time especially at that age. I didn't want to be away from her for any longer.
mum to DD 27/06/06
DS EDD 11/02/10
mariahswind

Postby whitto04 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Were you trying to give the bottle? My bubs never took a bottle from me. Imagine if you saw a piece of chocolate cake in front of you. You could see it, smell it, reach out and touch it- but instead of tasting it, you were given a carrot. Sure, it would nourish you and fill your belly, but it wouldn't be the same!
To avoid nipple confusion, you could try spoon feeding, cup feeding or using a dropper (depending on quantities).
Once your bub is on solids, it makes absences slightly easier for bub. Some can be calmed with a sippy cup of water, or a snack. But some bubs (my DD#2) would eat/drink just enough to get by, and be waiting impatiently for mum to return.
But you don't need to be tied to your baby until weaning. DD#2 has had overnight visits with grandparents and returned to the breast with no problems.
DD#1-1999, BF 12 months.
DD#2-2006, BF 5 yrs 8 months
DD#3-2009 (born at home), BF 4 yrs 2 months
DD#4-2012 (born at home), no longer sharing with her sister!
11 years of continuous lactation!!!!!
whitto04

Postby mariahswind » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:41 pm

With DD she wouldn't take it from DH either... we were trying to use it to keep her happy while I tried to fix tea as usual this was the grump time for her, she wanted me but I needed to be getting tea ready. So we thought it would be nice if she could have a bottle of EBM but she didn't care who would give it. But I do remember her accepting certain things when I wasn't home that she would chuck a fit about if I was home LOL maybe that was why she wouldn't take the bottle. Don't know if we ever tried it when I wasn't home. Will have to keep this in mind for DS.
mum to DD 27/06/06
DS EDD 11/02/10
mariahswind

Postby Baby Blue Eyes » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:43 pm

my boys happily accepted a bottle of EBM from grandma but never from dh or I
DS1 - b/f 4 yrs
DS2 - b/f 3yrs 11mths
DS3 - B/F 4yrs 10 mths
Baby Blue Eyes

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.