Cup feeding older baby

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
mummyb

Cup feeding older baby

Post by mummyb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to go back to part-time uni three days a week next year during school hours, so DD2 who will then be almost 1 will have to be minded probably within the hours of 8.30-3.30.

I will be expressing at work, and ideally would love her to drink breastmilk from a cup during the day. However, we've tried the cup a few times, and she hates it! She might take 10-15mL if I'm lucky, but that's it.

Do you think with perseverence this will improve? I have until March/April before I go back, but I'm concerned as I don't want me going back to uni to affect her having breastmilk - makes me feel guilty.

Thanks for any advice...
2 girls and now a precious boy....

belbannie

Post by belbannie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi there, Just wanted to say that I've found that with both o fmy babies (we've been in similar situations to yourself twice now!) eventually they do take to the cup. We found they transitioned more successfully though when we tried a standard type of sippy cup with a spout then once they'd mastered that either stuck with that or upgraded immediately to a standard cup. I found that they didn't drink as much as they would have from breastfeeds and ate lots more solids on those days, but then wanted BIG feeds when I got home from work.
Good luck!
B
Mum to Annie (8.11.04), Eleanor (30.8.06). and Archie (5.5.09). Breastfeeding rocks

Hazard

cup feeding

Post by Hazard » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:52 pm

My husband feed our 10 week old for 4 weeks mon to fri 8.30 til 4. On days we could we did a lunch feed but that wasn't every day. We didn't do any test runs and all went fine. He reports it wasn't as settling, our health nurse says this is because it takes 3 times the effort to remove milk from the breast. If you want to have test runs i would suggest that you should be out of the house. For me the thought of what was ahead far worse then the event. Don't stress it your baby will learn to drink out of a cup you might find bub wants more feeds then usual when you get home...but this too is nice.