Transitioning back to work

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
AshersMum

Transitioning back to work

Post by AshersMum » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:55 pm

I will be heading back to work in Feb and was after some advise/stories of how you transitioned your LO to prepare them for the change. He will be in care for 4 days.

My bubs is just over 6 months ATM and I am a little stressed as I start thinking about it more and more. He doesnt take a bottle at the moment and I havent left him for any decent lenght of time.

I have started offering a sippy cup with a little bit of success, but he only takes about 30 mls which is nowhere near a feed. I am also planning on leaving him with DH and MIL more and more over the next few months.

Is there anything else I should be doing? How early did you start to prepare your LO? What did you do? Did you start to change your BF pattens? How did you do this?

Thanks for any advise!

Nedsmum

Post by Nedsmum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:52 am

I would say that a couple of months is plenty of time to get things into place, and a lot of things won't happen, until you get there...

I'm assuming you are using paid childcare rather than family for your four days a week - so that is what I have based my advice on...

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the actual logistics. Childcare workers have a suitcase full of strategies for the child that will help the transition.

I also would not worry about measuring the amount of milk the child takes. Actually 30mL is a decent small glassful for a child who is not really hungry...your child is unlikely to take huge amounts anyway until they *need* to...have you started giving experiences with solid food? normal open cup? spoon? - at this stage it is the skill that you are practicing, not the amount of food - once you know they *can* eat you have to trust that if they are hungry/thirsty they *will* eat/drink as they need to...

Are you starting work and childcare at the same time ? this is a really big effort. If money/logistics were not the problem, I would consider starting 2 days a week childcare for a minimum of 2 weeks before you go back to work, up to maybe 6 weeks before - that gives plenty of time for you to get used to leaving your child, before you have to start back with work and the whole system has to change again - it also gives you some 'strategy' time when you can be without your child to take care of the million and one things that have to be done, before you are wrapped up in the paid work again... :wink:

It is wise to have your child start with the new childcarer before 9 months. There is a 'clingy' period (attachment/separation anxiety, stranger-danger phase) which starts around 9 months and peaks at 14 months before fading around 18 months. Around 8-9 months is a really good time to start childcare/new relationships of caring because the child at this age will build these people into their 'family'...on the other hand, starting childcare with a 14 month old is a really really big effort for everyone...because the child will protest severely if anyone new enters the arrangement...

Hope that helps a bit. For suggestions with expressed milk, bottles, combing the two, breastfeeding and paid work, the breastfeeding helpline is a great resource...and for weaning when the time comes too - the counsellors can help to talk you through your options, and to help to make it as simple and painless as possible... :-D
Breastmilk - the ultimate 'brain food'!!!