Functions and supply?

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here
jj6

Functions and supply?

Post by jj6 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 pm

I have DH's two work functions (one to a winery at night for dinner, and the other is a Masquerade ball in the city at night) and wedding in the arvo/night, all to go to next month.... I have tried to express in the early days to build supply with elect pump but didn't get very much....20ml per side an hour after feeds..... my question is (if I can manage to get enough EBM for these functions (two of which are one night after the other!!!)), what will happen to my supply if I leave the EBM and baby with a carer (my sister)? She will be 8 weeks for the first two functions and then 10.5weeks old for the third.
I could take her to the wedding, but most likely not to the winery with a bunch a subcontractors (DH is their supervisor) and definitely not to the Masquerade!!
Me 30
DH 37
DSS1 12
DSS2 10
DS1 20months
DD1 (9/9/09, 10.09pm, 9lb 2oz and in room 9!) Must be lucky?!

Linda'sMum

Post by Linda'sMum » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Every bit counts, so even if it takes a few goes to pump enough for a feed, you will get there!

If you can be coordinated enough (time, logistics, energy), then when you used a stored feed you can pump while you're away to replace it for the next time. That can be more easily said than done, but 'relieving the pressure' helps as an incentive when you get home and bub is fed and soundly asleep but your boobs are not!

Some bubs may not take to a bottle so easily, so maybe it would also help to have a practise run to check it will work smoothly... maybe that should be the night for you and DH to go out alone!

Good luck :)
DD born 27+4wks 555g Jun 2008
DS born +11 days (VBAC) 3.8kg Nov 2011

jj6

Post by jj6 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 am

Cheers. I have had to top her up before with EBM and sometimes formula just to get some weight on her as she didn't put on any in the first three weeks, and is still slow to gain, although she was born big 4.1kg- she was reluctant to feed from a normal teat, so have hired one the special needs teats (haberman/sp?) from local bf. clinic, she has to suck just as hard from them. Just worried that I won't get a chance to express at these functions! I could on the way there, then the problem becomes of storing the EBM. Would a little fridge/esky do for up to 7hours??

Edited: actually just noticed your little bub was born early - you may have used one of those teats!
Me 30
DH 37
DSS1 12
DSS2 10
DS1 20months
DD1 (9/9/09, 10.09pm, 9lb 2oz and in room 9!) Must be lucky?!