Start using formula?

Returning to the paid workforce, study or just going out for the night. Discuss issues related to leaving your baby with a carer here

Start using formula?

Postby Burnseek » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi, I have about four weeks until I'm due to attend a wedding. I have a 4mo boy who is exclusively breastfed. It has taken me about 10 days to express enough to fill an ice cube tray, so in not expressing very much at all. I don't know what to do because I need to make sure he'll actually take a bottle while my mum looks after him. I'm ok to come home after the ceremony and feed him before returning to the reception but he usually has a top up feed before going down for the night. Should I just start trying formula for this feed and get hubby to try giving him it ASAP to ensure he'll actually take a bottle? Really stuck as to what I should do! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Burnseek

Re: Start using formula?

Postby strolltotheshops » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Could you just take your baby with you, perhaps in a good quality carrier/wrap/sling, and feed according to need? I've taken breastfed babies to weddings, funerals, black-tie balls, the theatre, and to everywhere really, and it's been fine.
strolltotheshops

Postby Mummy woo! » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:21 pm

Hi Burnseek

If you have enough to fill an icecube tray do you mean about 30mL, or do you mean about 10x30mL?
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby mimo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Its a tricky situation knowing when/if to give a bottle "in preparation". Do you need bub to be used to a bottle for other situations or is it just the one night? My experience of leaving my 3 month old with my Mum for a wedding was that although she had taken a bottle a couple of times for her Dad, she flatly refused from my Mum on the night. Mum coped, getting a little milk into her after a calming bath and getting her to take a dummy for the first (and only!!) time. Bub was asleep when we came home and although she had been a bit upset at times was totally fine. I picked her up and gave her a dream feed (because my breasts were about to explode!) and we were all good.

As Mummy Woo asked, do you have a whole ice cube tray or just one square? If it is a whole tray, and you're just leaving for the evening, then probably in a few weeks you'll have more if you keep expressing. It only takes about 20-30ml to "try a bottle" in my experience, especially because if they don't take it you don't want to waste too much milk.
Michelle
DD - Feb 2006
DS - Apr 2010
DD2 - Mar 2013
mimo
Counsellor

Postby Yankee » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi and welcome! Just wanted to add that it's completely normal to take a long time to express 'extra' for later. After about 6 weeks, your boobs know just how much your baby needs and don't make much 'extra'. Make sure you sneak away during the reception to express, even if just for your own comfort (I've done it once myself, not the most pleasant experience!).
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Return to Leaving your baby with a carer.