Site Admin

Parental leave cuts undermine breastfeeding and child health

Post by mooki » Thu May 14, 2015 6:45 pm

Another fabulous article by Karleen
https://theconversation.com/parental-le ... ense-41617

Karleen

Re: Parental leave cuts undermine breastfeeding and child he

Post by Karleen » Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 pm

WHy thank you. PLease share and comment....it helps the editors to see that this is an issue people are interested in.
Karleen

Bailey's Mum
Counsellor

Post by Bailey's Mum » Thu May 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Shared in the other internet world :D
DS1 born sleeping
DS2 BF 2y2m (using supply line)
DS3 BF 2y2m2w2d (because we like patterns - 9 months with SNS)
DS4 BF 3y10m3w4d (8 months with SNS)

mooki
Site Admin

Post by mooki » Thu May 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Karleen, can you see how many views its had? I have seen it shared on my newsfeed at least 10 times

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Thu May 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Yes, it's had 1500 views so far and 174 Facebook shares. It really helps when people share (and comment on the website) because it lets the editors know that this is a topic that people are interested in.
Karleen

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sat May 16, 2015 9:54 am

Personally, I actually agree with the governments proposal (don't shoot me please!). I was one of the very lucky, my workplace had a gold plated maternity leave policy with full salary for the first few months then half salary for the rest of a year. I actually did feel like a rort getting additional government money on top of that, because I felt like that money could be better spent elsewhere. I certainly didn't send it back but I certainly didn't need it as much as, say, a woman who got nothing from her employer before the government scheme and was only getting the minimum government money. So how is that fair that I get so much when most women are only getting the minimum wage payment? Why should the taxpayers be required to give me that money?

I think perhaps there is a happy medium in there. Personally I would propose that a woman should be able to keep the government money as long as it tops up to less than her salary would have been otherwise. The problem with that kind of system is it sets up incredibly complex paperwork!
DD born September 2013

Yankee

Post by Yankee » Sat May 16, 2015 10:03 am

Hmm and I don't like the tone of some of the responses, obviously a very personal issue but as someone who is working full time and loves both my job and my daughter, it makes me feel defensive when people make claims like 'most mothers would stay home with their kids if they had the choice' or 'you can tell kids who have been in childcare' because they're socially messed up.

Parenting is so bloody personal isn't it!!!

That being said, I'm glad she wrote the article I love The Conversation.
DD born September 2013

Karleen

Post by Karleen » Sat May 16, 2015 11:28 pm

14 000 or so reads now and 1200 shares on Facebook so I'm pretty happy.
Yankee I think you are in a pretty unusual situation with your workplace. Personally I think there should be an across the board decent system for everyone- ie remove the inequity but as things stand some people getting decent leave has got to be better than no one getting it! And yes, everyone is different- there's plenty of swings and round abouts I reckon! but having the choice about what to do is the important thing, when women, men, children have no choice because structures are set up to prevent them having one, there's a problem. I didn't mention in the article but there is definitely some social engineering behind the policy....cut maternity leave and increase funding for childcare- the two go together.
Karleen