Babies

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media

Babies

Postby Yankee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Currently watching a documentary called 'Babies' (on the American streaming service) that I think a lot of people here would find interesting. It follows four babies - in America, Japan, Mongolia and Nigeria. It's not an 'educational' documentary, it just switches between scenes in the lives of these four families but it's fascinating to see the different ways they feed, bathe, swaddle, cuddle, entertain and sleep with their babies. The American and Japanese families are all pretty familiar, but I'm finding the Mongolian and Nigerian ones really interesting.

Interesting breastfeeding moments in particular:
-African mom swinging Bub up to kiss her belly whilst still latched on feeding!
-Mongolian mom spraying breastmilk on baby's face to clean it
-African mom tandem feeding her baby and toddler, plus a second toddler coming around for look-see
-Mongolian family giving what looks like a lump of lard to Bub as a dummy

If you see it around, give it a watch, it's sweet and fascinating. I'm currently laughing at one contrast in particular - Nigerian baby teething on an animal bone it picks up from the dirt, switch to American baby whose father is vacuuming around and then using a lint roller on the baby! :smt005

Warning, may make you clucky!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Re: Babies

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:35 pm

This was on at the independent cinema a few years back but I couldn't go see it because of co-sleeping, BFing twins!
Did the Japanese family co-sleep and breastfeed (my understanding is that's normal practice in Japan)? We on the forum might find that familiar, but your average American might not.
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Chel070 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:08 pm

This documentary is a common one in our house- we love it! It's just beautiful cinematography and the kids really enjoy it. It's kid friendly while not being a cartoon, perfect!
DD1 Nov 2009
DS Jan 2012
DD2 Dec 2014
Chel070

Postby Yankee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:55 pm

I don't remember seeing cosleeping with the Japanese family. They did show the American mum lying on her bed topless with sleeping Bub but the mum was awake.

The weirdest moment for me was when the Nigerian mum wiped her baby's poo-smeared bum on her knee, then used a corn cob to scrape the poo off her knee. Now that is some serious EC!
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby Jenbt85 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:17 am

We saw that before DS was born and keep meaning to revisit it now that we've been parents. It's a beautiful documentary. I think there's a 'making of the documentary' one too.
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu
Jenbt85

Return to ABA and/or breastfeeding in the media