playschool

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media

Should there be more breastfeeding promoted through childrens shows to target this age group to help increase the breastfeeding rate in future years?

a. Yes
97%
b. No
3%

Total votes: 34

MK

playschool

Post by MK » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:40 pm

It was nice to see on playschool this morning them showing through one of the windows a mother looking after her baby. They showed her breastfeeding her baby. I believe its extremely important that children these days get as much exposure to breasteeding through the media as possible.

TwoOfem

Post by TwoOfem » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:27 pm

It was great today :D ! I was about to post about the same thing after I saw it too. My daughter watched Playschool today with great interest as it related to us having just had a new baby so it was very good there too. What a refreshing thing to see breastfeeding on telly. It was great promotion for breastfeeding and for young children's understanding of it too.

Dash

Post by Dash » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:13 am

It's great to see it for young kids, but what really annoys me is the soaps where babies are only seen occasionally and never cry or get fed. I admit Home and Away is watched in this house (actually DH watches it while I am cooking) and Hayley had a baby last year - but the nurses showed her how to feed him this morning, so everything is cool! She also manages to leave him for hours at a time while sorting out her love life.
I know it would be really hard to act like you're breast feeding and who knows what it would do to the bub, but they're completely invisible and never talked about. How hard would it be to comment that you're exhausted because you were up for night feeds?
The target market for these shows is teenagers and future parents, so what sort of message are we sending them?
Widget 4! Midget 2 - two little WHO babies
Science@home - Fun activities and information for babies, toddlers and big kids.

motherofseven

Post by motherofseven » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:26 am

That's a good point Dash and I agree. I get so frustrated over the same isue. At least mention it even if they don't show it.

When Leah was surrogate mother to Pip she did sneak in a b/feed and it actually raised the issue of wet nursing. A toucy one.

Karen
ImageImage