Paleo formula

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media

Paleo formula

Postby Yankee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Say what you like about paleo diets, I know people who swear by them for (adult) weight loss etc, but this really gets my blood boiling. Paleo advocate Pete Evan's cookbook for babies and toddlers has been pulled because it included a recipe for 'home made paleo baby formula' for infants under six months.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-12/p ... ns/6309452

It's taking paleo to a dangerous extreme. Our ancestors breastfed their babies for years at a time and if they did feed their infants broths it would have been just as dangerous and sub-optimal back then as it is today. It doesn't mention it in this article but I've heard that this or a similar recipe includes liver that would be ten times higher vitamin A than is recommended for children. :shock:
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Re: Paleo formula

Postby Mummy woo! » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:58 pm

I saw this too Yankee. As a vegetarian with a nut allergy I'm no great fan of paleo - it certainly wouldn't work in our house! But I know plenty of people who have found it to be great, and it does substantially cut down on processed foods which can only be good. But like anything, taking it to extremes is unsustainable and potentially unhealthy.

One thing I did find heartening was that the book was pulled and there can be more of a conversation about safe infant feeding.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Postby Andypandy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Pete Evans drives me nuts. Aside from his dubious claims about the paleo diet curing autism and some chronic diseases, I am angry that he preys on vulnerable parents and puts babies in danger so he can make money.

People like to go on about big formula and big pharma being in it for the money, but what about big alterna? People care forking over more and more money for unproven diets, supplements and medicine.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015
Andypandy

Postby A+D » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:15 pm

I've followed a paleo diet for chunks of time in the past, and still strive to follow it as much as possible because for me it does work well, and i've read heaps about the paleo diet etc, and what really gets to me is that if you believe in the paleo way of life, you'd breastfeed! Obviously there are going to be situations where that isn't possible but then I think again, you'd do your best to find donor milk. I am really hoping all of this might lead to discussion in the media of milk donation, supporting breastfeeding etc, but maybe i'm hoping for too much.
Mum to
DS1 - Nov 2009
DD1 and DS2 - Oct 2011
DD2 - Dec 2013
A+D

Postby Yankee » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:49 am

I don't know much about Peter Evans but isn't he also a judge on MKR? If so, how can he make so much money from preaching paleo and also take money to eat and judge 'normal' food?
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby fellare » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:47 am

I've donated milk to a woman whomade her own formula. She just didn't want all the chemicals and unknowns from formula. She had igt and worked really hard to get Breastmilk. But it's really hard.

I really think we should advocate for milk banks more. Donor milk should be more easily available. Then this stuff wouldn't happen.
Boobymonster weaned at 3.5yrs.
Ms Firestorm born august 2015
Whatever you perceive to believe, dream.... be free.... (eMDee)
fellare

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 am

fellare wrote:I've donated milk to a woman whomade her own formula. She just didn't want all the chemicals and unknowns from formula. She had igt and worked really hard to get Breastmilk. But it's really hard.

I really think we should advocate for milk banks more. Donor milk should be more easily available. Then this stuff wouldn't happen.

Milk banking would be a damn good thing for many reasons, but as long as we have a culture of early introduction of solids, there are going to be people who do stuff like this. We need to get manufacturers of infant foods to stop promoting their products as suitable from 4 months :evil:
I have to say, paleo-style solids with the emphasis on protein and quality fats strike me as better weaning foods than the usual carbo-goop. But it does surprise me that an advocate of paleo, of all diets, should not be promoting exclusive breastfeeding. After all, to what could humans be more perfectly adapted than that?
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby ClOuD_NiNe » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:58 am

Apparently the recipe for the homemade formula comes from a book called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Falon. My friend has this book and I've read bits of it, it follows the Weston A Price style of eating... Quality (preferably organic, grassfed) bone broths, fermented foods, veg, fruit, nuts/seeds, meat, fats - essentially today's "paleo" diet.

Speaking to my friend, the book and people that follow it advocate for exclusive breastfeeding in infancy, and the homemade formula (which from memory is raw cows or goats milk-based) is meant to provide an alternative to breastmilk for those who can't breastfeed and don't want to use commercial formula (I'm not sure if donor milk is mentioned). The broth and liver-based formula is intended for babies that are allergic or intolerant to goats milk I think?

I know the Vitamin A aspect is causing a stir and I don't have a nutritional background to be able to comment. However the Weston A Price website has several articles on Vitamin A - these claim there isconflicting evidence on Vitamin A and possible toxicity, and that studies that looked at this did not differentiate between synthetic Vitamin A (e.g. in vitamins) and naturally occurring Vitamin A in foods like cod liver oil (which is one of the recommended supplements), the latter of which is regarded safe. I have no idea whether the Vitamin A levels in the homemade formula are of any danger to babies, the Weston A Price website has nutritional profiles for cows milk, goats milk and liver-based formulas compared with breastmilk. It claims breastmilk contains 946 IU Vit A per litre (but admits this can be variable, predicting that it would be higher if the mother is taking a cod liver oil supplement), the cow and goats milk formulas contain 5000 IU per litre and the liver-based formula 20,000 IU.

The above is all justified by followers as "it's ok because our ancestors did it". A lot of it makes sense - the no processed food, etc. I fed DD a diet similar to what they recommend when weaning onto solid foods - bone broth, egg yolk, meat, veg. The main reason because her gut was compromised due to a course of IV antibiotics after birth and aspects of the typical Western diet (lots of grains and fruit) made her badly constipated. When I switched her to this diet I saw immediate improvement. They do however make recommendations I wasn't comfortable following, such as starting some solids like egg yolk from 4 months.

Anyway, I'd say the above is probably the view of Peter Evans and the others who wrote the book. I don't think they're advocating homemade formula over breastfeeding, but they're also probably not aware of the possibility of donor milk. No idea if they're just in it for the money but I do know though that the cost of making the homemade formula (especially if organic ingredients are sourced) far exceeds the cost of commercial formula.
DS July 11 - bf for 10 months
Storked by the lovely mooki
~WildChild~ was my storker
ClOuD_NiNe

Postby pseudo » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:55 am

Here is the Dietitions Association of Australia Media release regarding the formula.

We had some of DPs medical friends here for a BBQ last night, one being a neurologist and his opinion was that many babies would certainly die if fed this formula from birth, as well as neurological brain damage occurring in others. Charlotte Carr, one of the co authors fed her son this paleo formula but he was breastfed and given normal formula for the first 4 months and then goat milk formula thereafter. He started drinking this homemade formula much later. Had he have been given this concoction from birth, he very likely would not be here today. This makes my blood boil. I had someone say to me "but look how healthy Charlotte Carr's son is and he was given this formula ". Yes, he was, when he was well over 6 months of age. Our ancestors certainly didn't feed their infants this paleo mixture either. Infants were breastfed or wet nursed.

http://daa.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/20 ... _FINAL.pdf

"Media Alert: Bubba Yum Yum
The Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) has worked with Pan Macmillan Australia since the end of
February 2015 regarding the book ‘Bubba Yum Yum: The Paleo Way For New Mums, Babies and
Toddlers’.
DAA, together with a number of health agencies have provided evidence‐based materials to assist the
publisher to identify the numerous nutrition and health issues in this book. Problems include:
 The use of ingredients that are not recommended for infants within the first 12 months of
life due to microbiological risks, for example, honey (botulism risk), runny eggs
(salmonella risk) and raw liver
 Food safety risks with the preparation of the DIY infant formula
 A lack of clear instructions for parents as to the amount of formula to
provide the infant on a daily basis.
The DIY infant formula has received media attention because it is based on liver, cod liver oil and a bone
broth. This concoction has been independently analysed and provided to Pan Macmillan Australia in
order to assist them in making an evidence‐based decision to publish the book. We are confident Pan
Macmillan will make their decision based on what is in the best interest of Australian infants and their
families.
The DIY formula is said to be comparable to breast milk, but the analysis proves this is not the case. It is
significantly higher than breast milk in Vitamin A (749% higher), Vitamin B12 (2326% higher) protein
(220% higher), iron (1067% higher), sodium (879% higher) and a range of other nutrients. This formula
could be very harmful to infants, their immature immune and digestive systems could not cope with this
formulation and the levels of these nutrients it contains. In a newborn, the formulation could cause
permanent damage and possibly result in death.
DAA supports the Australian Government’s Infant Feeding Guidelines developed by the National Health
and Medical Research Council which says breastfeeding is the healthiest start for infants, and it is
recommended that infants be exclusively breastfed until around six months of age when solid foods are
introduced.
It is international consensus that the only suitable replacement for breastfeeding if required is a
commercially available infant formula, which is based on significant clinical research and is deemed the
only safe alternative when prepared according to product instructions."

Storked by the lovely Lu!
pseudo

Postby Yankee » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:17 pm

And what really frustrates me is how much Evans is enjoying the controversy. He downright crows about it because he's so convinced that paleo will become the mainstream diet.

That link has a nod to the ABA at the end.
DD born September 2013
Yankee

Postby PellyintheWilderness » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Yankee wrote:And what really frustrates me is how much Evans is enjoying the controversy. He downright crows about it because he's so convinced that paleo will become the mainstream diet.

That link has a nod to the ABA at the end.

If he thinks paleo will become mainstream, he's dreaming. Processed food is a huge industry with a lot of power, and most people prefer the convenience and low cost of processed foods. Also, people actually like sugar, salt, filling carbs and fats because, yanno, we're programmed to prefer fattening food :roll: At best, paleo will become a significant alternative dietary choice, like gluten-free, dairy-free or veg*n.

But yeah, controversy = publicity = more sales. Thus spake the cynic :?
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months
PellyintheWilderness

Postby Andypandy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:11 am

There is actually no science behind paleo. People were opportunists and diet largely depended on climate. So if you were in freezing conditions, you would have eaten seals and mammoths. People in more temperate climates ate food like nuts and seasonal veggies.
DS1: May 09 Breastfed 2y7m
DS2: Oct 2012 Breastfed 2y1m I am pretending he is weaned
DD: Feb 2015
Andypandy

Postby Penguin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:05 pm

Andypandy wrote:There is actually no science behind paleo. People were opportunists and diet largely depended on climate. So if you were in freezing conditions, you would have eaten seals and mammoths. People in more temperate climates ate food like nuts and seasonal veggies.

Yeah, and many veggies now are relatively new due to artificial breeding. Broccoli and sweet potato are much more recent additions to out diets than grains. However, that's irrelevant anyway - the whole point is that humans are very good at getting nutrition from ANY available food. We don't NEED to have thousands of years to adapt to food.

If "paleo" works for someone and his/her family - great. The pseudoscience justification is full of holes though.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS
Penguin

Postby Two's enough » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:41 pm

This may interest:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... n-ideology

I go with minimising processed food and maximising fruit, vegetables and lean meats.
I think anything taken to an extreme is a worry!

Two's enough

Postby Mummy woo! » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Penguin wrote:
Andypandy wrote:There is actually no science behind paleo. People were opportunists and diet largely depended on climate. So if you were in freezing conditions, you would have eaten seals and mammoths. People in more temperate climates ate food like nuts and seasonal veggies.

Yeah, and many veggies now are relatively new due to artificial breeding. Broccoli and sweet potato are much more recent additions to out diets than grains. However, that's irrelevant anyway - the whole point is that humans are very good at getting nutrition from ANY available food. We don't NEED to have thousands of years to adapt to food.

If "paleo" works for someone and his/her family - great. The pseudoscience justification is full of holes though.

There was a good TEDx talk I saw by an evolutionary biologist about what our Palaeolithic ancestors actually ate and it doesn't look much like the 'paleo' diet at all.

And just to be right out there, I think the diet perpetuates an anti feminist view of the nutrition of pre agricultural humans by over emphasising the contribution of meat (caught by men) to the diet, minimising the contribution of women to the 'economy'.
It's OK Pluto, I'm not a planet either
Mummy woo!
Site Admin

Next

Return to ABA and/or breastfeeding in the media