Paleo formula

Let us know when you see/hear of breastfeeding, or ABA, mentioned in the media
Yankee

Re: Paleo formula

Post by Yankee » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:41 pm

I've also done a bit of reading about the history of agriculture that suggest the transition from hunter gatherer to farmer was gradual. Many hunter gatherer tribes incorporated domestication of local flora and fauna, with or without seasonal migration.
DD born September 2013

JMc

Post by JMc » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:38 am

Mummy woo! wrote:
And just to be right out there, I think the diet perpetuates an anti feminist view of the nutrition of pre agricultural humans by over emphasising the contribution of meat (caught by men) to the diet, minimising the contribution of women to the 'economy'.
I like this! I hadn't thought of that before!
DD - November 2009 (Breastfed 19 months)
DS1 - August 2011 (Breastfed 2 years and 8 months)
DS2 - November 2014 (Breastfeeding happily)

PellyintheWilderness

Post by PellyintheWilderness » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:03 am

JMc wrote:
Mummy woo! wrote:
And just to be right out there, I think the diet perpetuates an anti feminist view of the nutrition of pre agricultural humans by over emphasising the contribution of meat (caught by men) to the diet, minimising the contribution of women to the 'economy'.
I like this! I hadn't thought of that before!
I had a bit of a lightbulb moment reading this:
- specifically, the part at the end about the paleo "formula" as a way of denying the importance of BF and an attempt by men to take over the maternal function. I'm not sure I think paleo is conciously that misogynist, but there are a few alarm bells going off!
Proud co-storker for AndyPandy (with mooki)
Proud co-storker for Jenbt85 (with AussieBritLu)

DD May 2005 bf 12 months
DS1 May 2005 bf 37 months
DS2 Nov 2011 bf 36 months
DS3 Nov 2011 bf 38 months

breastfeedingisnormal
Counsellor

Post by breastfeedingisnormal » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:26 am

conciously that misogynist
I rarely see conscious misogyny. We are all steeped in our cultural traditions which just so happen to include patriarchal assumptions that are sometimes downright hostile towards women and sometimes just completely blind towards women. Culture is so pervasive it can be hard (even impossible) to see. It's like trying to see the lens when you're looking through a camera - you can't but you can become more aware of it's effects on the image you see.
#threadjack #rantover #angrymiddleagedfeminist
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Cert IV BE (Community & Counselling)
Cert IV TAA
PhD
Mum 2 J18 N15 E13

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:31 pm

breastfeedingisnormal wrote:
I rarely see conscious misogyny. We are all steeped in our cultural traditions which just so happen to include patriarchal assumptions that are sometimes downright hostile towards women and sometimes just completely blind towards women. Culture is so pervasive it can be hard (even impossible) to see. It's like trying to see the lens when you're looking through a camera - you can't but you can become more aware of it's effects on the image you see.

Indeed - that' the privilege of privilege.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Jenbt85

Post by Jenbt85 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Didn't see that as a rant, more a well articulated view on how it is. It's sad (and I do it too) that stating the facts gets categorised as a rant. #threadjackingtoo
DS - bf 18.5 months (565 days)!
DD - breastfeeding

Storked by the fabulous forumites: AussieBritLu and PellyintheWilderness

Openly storking AussieBritLu

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Jenbt85 wrote: It's sad (and I do it too) that stating the facts gets categorised as a rant. #threadjackingtoo
This usually applies when one is 1) challenging the status quo and 2) passionate. So, often i t actually proves the point which is being made.
DD1 May 2011
Super baby Dec 2013
DD2 Feb 2015 Storked by Parla.
Proud storker: michansam's DS3, katsbi's DD3 and Gwen's mum's DS

Two's enough

Post by Two's enough » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Jenbt85 wrote:
Didn't see that as a rant, more a well articulated view on how it is. It's sad (and I do it too) that stating the facts gets categorised as a rant. #threadjackingtoo
I agree, very well put.